This easy cheesy taco soup take just minutes to prepare! Brown some ground turkey with spices and combine it with six cans. Melt some Velveeta cheese into it and you have a smooth, creamy, and super delicious quick dinner.
Since I posted this 7 can chicken taco soup on the blog a little over a month ago, it’s already been pinned over 100,000 times and it’s quickly become one of the most popular recipes on the blog. Which makes me so happy because that means people are loving the quick, simple, but yet totally delicious dinner recipes. I’ve had quick dinners on the brain lately and that’s how this easy cheesy taco soup was born.
I wanted to call it six can taco soup but that is a bit misleading because yes technically you open 6 cans and combine, but you also have to brown some ground turkey with some spices. So I had a very serious conversation with my husband about what to call this….. yes, he talks about food and recipes with me 🙂 He’s a keeper! Anyways, he came up with the name Easy Cheesy Taco Soup and at first I thought it was, well, kinda cheesy sounding but I found myself saying it through out the day and that’s how I knew it was the perfect name!
This really is so easy guys. Brown some ground turkey in a large soup pot with some spices, add in 6 cans and then bring it all to a boil. Let it simmer for 15 minutes, add some Velveeta cheese and let it simmer for a few more minutes so the cheese can melt. Stir together and you’ll have an easy and cheesy dinner waiting for you.
I love serving this with tortilla chips on the side. You could add some sour cream, avocado, and shredded cheese but I found that it doesn’t need all those extras. The soup has so much flavor and it’s already creamy and cheesy.
Please no one hate me for the Velveeta. I actually love the stuff. It melts so smooth into whatever you put it in. I only have a few recipes where I use Velveeta cheese, so it’s not like we’re eating it every day. Moderation in all things is my motto.
If you are completely against the Velveeta you could leave it out, but then your soup would not be nice and creamy and cheesy. Or, you could add some shredded cheese but I can’t promise how that will work. Shredded cheese does not melt nearly as well, so you could end up with a weird lumpy type soup. Just use the Velveeta this one time 🙂 I promise it will be worth it.
This cheesy taco soup is so easy. Brown some ground turkey with spices, add 6 cans and some Velveeta cheese. Super creamy, cheesy, delicious, and quick dinner!
- 1.25 lbs ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can chili beans, undrained
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 8 oz Velveeta cheese, chunked
- In a large soup pot, over medium-high heat, brown the ground turkey with the salt, cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder. Drain and return to the soup pot.
- Add in the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, chili beans, black beans, corn, and salsa. Stir together and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover with lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in chunked Velveeta cheese, cover with lid and let simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Stir together until everything is combined. Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, green onion, cilantro, avocado, etc. We love it plain with some tortilla chips.
If you prefer ground beef then feel free to use that in place of the ground turkey.
I have only ever seen Velveeta cheese in 16 oz blocks. I just cut the block in half for the 8 oz needed in this soup.
The cans are the regular, standard size 15 oz cans.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST