POTATO CORN CHOWDER
This super creamy potato corn chowder cooks for 15 minutes in the Instant Pot. Dump everything in and that's it! Heavy cream plus cornstarch makes the chowder really creamy and delicious.
I especially love this Instant Pot version of potato corn chowder because you simply add it all into the insert and walk away. No babysitting a hot pan over the stove.
Also be sure and try my vegetable chowder recipe! It's creamy and full of all kinds of goodness.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT POTATO CORN CHOWDER
Low-Sodium Chicken Broth - This recipe has been tested with low sodium chicken broth. You can use regular chicken broth but you may not need that additional ½ teaspoon salt. Taste and then add more or less salt depending on preference.
Red Potatoes - Peel the potatoes and cut into small, ½-inch cubes. You don't want the potatoes too big or else they won't cook in the cook time given.
Frozen Corn - I love using gold n' white corn for this recipe. Yellow corn works great or also white corn.
Yellow or White Onion
Salt, Pepper, Garlic - I use the garlic paste in the tube. You can mince/press some fresh garlic cloves or use the chopped garlic from the jar.
Heavy Cream - In my opinion, potato corn chowder needs heavy cream. It gives you that creaminess and richness, and really is just delicious. If you must, you can use half and half.
Shredded Cheese - Use cheddar cheese or Colby-Jack cheese. I love using the Colby-Jack cheese.
TRY THESE OTHER INSTANT POT RECIPES
- cashew chicken
- santa fe chicken burrito bowls
- minestrone soup
- honey chicken
- perfect baked ziti
- mexican rice
- chicken & potatoes
Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen corn (I love the gold n' white corn)
- 2 ½ cups peeled, chopped small red potatoes (about 3 large potatoes, chop small ½-inch)
- 1 yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or colby-jack cheese (or more to taste)
- bacon bits, shredded cheese, green onions (optional toppings)
- Add the chicken broth, frozen corn, chopped potatoes, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper into the insert of the Instant Pot. Stir together. Cover with lid and set the valve to the sealing position. Select 'manual' setting and adjust pressure to high. Set the time for 15 minutes.
- When finished cooking do a quick-release (move the valve to venting position) to release the pressure.
- Select sauté setting and adjust to low heat (if your IP has that, mine does not so I just turn on the sauté mode). Mix heavy cream and cornstarch together and pour into the chowder. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until thickened. Add shredded cheese and stir to combine. Turn off sauté mode and serve!
- Serve with chopped bacon or bacon bits, shredded cheese, and green onions.