Kale Salad with fresh strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries! Topped with feta cheese, glazed walnuts and a super simple homemade citrus olive oil dressing. This salad can make anyone a kale fan.
KALE SALAD WITH FRESH BERRIES & HOMEMADE CITRUS DRESSING
Do you like kale? I didn’t for the longest time but then I tried this new salad at my favorite place to eat, Cubby’s for all the local Utah people, and just like that I was a kale fan 🙂
Cubby’s has this amazing wild rice & kale salad and I can’t get enough of it.
Which is why I knew I wanted to create a deliciously healthy salad for the summer. Say hello to my Citrus Berry Kale Salad ♥♥♥
You want to start with a bag of already chopped and washed kale for this recipe.
Even though it says ‘chopped & washed’, it’s not, so prepare to wash it and pick through the kale for only the good stuff.
HOW DO I PREPARE KALE?
Kale is very similar to cabbage which means it has a hard stem like part. You will first want to remove that stem part. To do this, just use a knife and cut. Discard the small stem and keep the leafy green part.
Once the kale has the stems removed go ahead and chop it depending on the size of kale that you want in the salad.
Next, put it into a colander and give it a good wash.
MY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- The most important thing is to make sure the kale and all the fresh fruit is not wet/damp when adding it into the salad bowl. Otherwise you’ll end up with a pool of water in the bottom and if the kale is too wet the dressing won’t stick to it.
- After washing the kale and fruit, simply lay it out on top of some paper towels on the counter top. Use another paper towel to dab at it to soak up as much water as possible.
- The amounts listed in the recipe are very versatile. I LOVE feta cheese so I always add much more. If you prefer more berry to kale ratio then add additional berries.
- The berries can easily be substituted as well. Blueberries, mandarin oranges, or you can use all of one kind of berry.
- This salad can be eaten right away or refrigerated for 2-3 hours before serving. I prefer to refrigerate it because the kale softens slightly. It’s still good eaten right away too, the kale will just have more texture to it.
- If you do not like kale or don’t want to deal with it, the go ahead and substitute with fresh spinach.
TRY THESE OTHER HEALHY SALAD RECIPES
Citrus Berry Kale Salad
- 8 cups trimmed & chopped Kale
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup sugared or glazed walnuts
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Wash the chopped, trimmed kale and the fruit. Make sure it's somewhat dry before adding it into the salad bowl Dab it with a paper towel and/or lay it on top of a paper towel on the counter to let dry slightly.
- Put kale and fruit into a large bowl. Add the crumbled feta cheese and glazed almonds.
- In small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and stir together well with a whisk. It will be hard at first but as the honey dissolves it will mix together well. Pour the dressing over the kale and fruit, and toss gently to combine.
- Serve immediately OR for a slightly softer kale (I prefer this) refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.
PIN IT TO PINTEREST
recipe adapted from Six Sister’s Stuff