FIESTA AVOCADO SALAD
If there is one food I could not live without it's definitely avocados. This fiesta avocado salad is one of my very favorite avocado recipes. Eat it plain. Scoop it up with chips. Use it as a topping for tacos or burrito bowls. Or serve it as a side dish salad.
Avocados are like gold! One of my favorite lunches is to eat an avocado sprinkled with salt & pepper. So simple but so yummy.
This fiesta version of an avocado salad is one of my very favorite recipes ever. Everything from the creamy avocado, all the add-ins, to the simple homemade citrus olive oil dressing.
I can usually just make a meal out of this but it's so versatile and can be used for almost anything!
- taco topping
- eat with a spoon for a light lunch/dinner
- inside quesadillas with some shredded chicken
- vegetarian rice bowls
- inside burritos
- topping for taco bowls or burrito bowls
- side dish for a picnic/potluck
- dip with tortilla chips or Fritos corn chips
- on top of baked nachos
MY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- This salad is so versatile. If you don't like black beans then leave them out. Or substitute with a bean that you do like.
- I prefer the white shoe peg corn but you can use any canned corn you want. The shoe peg corn is more crisp and flavorful which is why I love it in this salad.
- Use some cherry or grape tomatoes and halve them. I also really like using the mix of tomatoes. They come in a carton like cherry tomatoes, but they have yellow, red, and brown small baby tomatoes. So flavorful and gives some additional colors to the salad. Or you can just chop up some Roma tomatoes too.
- The lime juice + lemon juice makes such a BIG difference. So be sure to buy one lime and one lemon!
- I always use the garlic paste in the plastic tube. You can find it in the fridge section in the produce area. You can also use the chopped garlic in the jar, or mince/press your own fresh garlic. I've never tried this recipe with garlic powder but I am sure that would work fine too, if needed.
TRY THESE OTHER AVOCADO RECIPES
Fiesta Avocado Salad
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (11 oz) white shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed (or 1 teaspoon garlic paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine black beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado, red onion, and cilantro in a mixing bowl. Stir together to combine.
- In separate small bowl, combine olive oil, lime & lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Stir with a fork and pour over the salad. Stir together until combined. Let sit in fridge for 1-2 hours before serving so the flavor can develop.
- ** You can also serve it right away if needed, but it's really good cold. The avocado will not brown in that 1 hour fridge time because of all the citrus juice in the salad.
recipe adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction