Chicken Tortilla Vegetable Soup combines the southwest flavors that you love about chicken tortilla soup combined with healthy, hearty vegetables and spices. Made in one pot with fresh veggies, chicken, and beans.
CHICKEN TORTILLA VEGETABLE SOUP
Chicken tortilla vegetable soup combines two favorites into one! Loaded with vegetables like onion, celery, carrot, and tomatoes and simmered with chicken tortilla soup favorites like black beans, corn, chicken, and coriander and garlic powder spices.
This soup is so hearty and filling that you really don't need anything else with it. The leftovers are great for lunches a few days after as well.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR CHICKEN TORTILLA VEGETABLE SOUP
Olive Oil - I always use light tasting extra virgin olive oil in all my cooking. I don't love the heavy taste of regular olive oil.
Celery, Carrots, Onion - Finely dice these so everything is about the same size. I use a yellow onion or white onion for this recipe. I also use baby carrots because there is no need to peel them so all you have to do is slice them thin.
Chicken Broth & Beef Broth - The mixture of both makes this soup amazing! Don't try to use all chicken broth or all beef broth as it will change the taste slightly. Feel free to use low sodium broth if that's what you prefer. I will normally use low sodium beef broth and then the regular, full salt chicken broth.
Petite Diced Tomatoes
Black Beans - Make sure they are drained and rinsed before adding them into the soup.
Chicken - This recipe is a great way to use up leftover chicken or get a Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store (or Costco!). The chicken does need to be cooked before adding it into the soup.
Dried Parsley, Basil, Garlic Powder, Cumin, Coriander, Salt - The combination of seasonings are perfect for this soup. It combines classic vegetable soup seasonings like parsley flakes and basil with the tex-mix flavors we all love like garlic powder and coriander.
TRY THESE OTHER FAVORITE SOUP RECIPES
Hamburger Vegetable Soup - This is a reader favorite with hundreds of 5 star reviews! Ground beef with frozen veggies & seasonings in a rich tomato soup broth base.
Pasta Fagioli Soup - Better than the restaurant! A hearty soup full of pasta, beans, and it's perfectly seasoned. It uses a surprise ingredient, which is spaghetti sauce, to get a rich deep flavor. I promise you will love it.
7 Can Chicken Taco Soup - Yes, it really uses only 7 cans + seasonings! It is so easy to make and can be on the table in just 15 minutes. Don't forget all the toppings like sour cream, cheese, and tortilla chips.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup - Classic chicken tortilla soup made in just minutes in the Instant Pot.
Chicken Tortilla Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth
- 1 can (15 oz) petite diced tomatoes do not drain
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans drained & rinsed
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded or chunked
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large stock pot, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, carrots, celery, and onion. Cook and stir occasionally, for 6-8 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the chicken broth, beef broth, tomatoes, black beans, chicken, frozen corn, and all the seasonings into the pot. Mix together. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover with lid and let it simmer for at least 20 minutes. * I always like to simmer it longer. Closer to 30 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla strips, shredded cheese, and sour cream if wanted. Leftovers store really well, covered, for 3-4 days. Perfect for lunches.