This creamy white chicken chili will quickly become your favorite version of chili! So creamy, so warm & comforting, full of perfectly flavored chicken and it’s all simmered in a flavorful green chili chicken broth. Plus, it’s a one pot meal!
This creamy white chicken chili brings back fond memories. This was the first thing I made for dinner, as a newlywed, that I could not believe that I had actually made it! I’ve made it ever since; for the past 9 years and we love it just as much as we did the first time we tried it.
My husband and I were both in college for the first few years of our marriage and whenever I was not at school or studying (this was pre-kids 🙂 ) I would search for hours on the Taste of Home website for recipes to make for dinner. Looking for recipes is still something I love doing. I don’t have time to do it for hours anymore, but I still take time to do it.
That’s how I found this chicken chili recipe. Words can’t describe it. It’s so yummy and because it’s so creamy you don’t even need additional sour cream as a topping. Sometimes I’ll serve this with some shredded Monterrey Jack cheese and other times we’ll just eat it plain. We also love this chili with tortilla strips to either dip in the chili or to crush on top of it. That piece of parsley is just for the picture. You could certainly garnish the chili with parsley if you wanted 🙂 If you want to go all out, serve this chili in a bread bowl —> really, really good!
It’s packed full of tender chicken chunks, lots of hearty beans and then it’s all simmered in a green chili chicken broth. This is not too spicy for kids to enjoy. If you want it spicy, consider adding some cayenne pepper and/or and additional can of chopped green chilies.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large chicken breasts (about 1 lb), cut into small cubes
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cans (15 1/2 oz) great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sour cream (full fat is best)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large soup pot heat canola oil over medium-high heat and add the chicken, onion, garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let cook, while stirring occassionally, until the chicken is no longer pink (it does not have to be cooked all the way through, just needs to be white in color).
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the chicken broth, green chilies, 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, oregano, and pepper and blend until combined.
- Once chicken mixture is done, pour in the blended chicken broth mixture and the cans of beans. Stir together and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Add in the sour cream and heavy whipping cream. Stir together until everything is creamy and combined (2-3 minutes).
- Serve & enjoy!