EASY OVERNIGHT PUMPIN SPICE STICKY BUNS
These overnight pumpkin spice sticky buns are the perfect sweet breakfast treat for a Fall day. Only 5 minutes of prep the night before with frozen bread rolls, is all you need for these caramel pecan pumpkin spice sticky buns that taste exactly like a cinnamon roll but much easier to make!
You will just love how easy and fast these are to make. They remind me of pecan pie + pumpkin spice. So gooey, caramel-y, warm, and delicious.
STICKY BUNS WITH FROZEN ROLLS
Frozen Bread Rolls - I use the Rhodes brand. These are the frozen yeast rolls. You will need 18 total so make sure you get a pack that has at least that amount.
Chopped Pecans - Chop these as small (which is my preference) or keep them in larger chunks. I prefer putting the pecans in the food processor and chopping them up really finely that way it makes a nice coating on the sticky buns. You can also use a Ziploc bag and a meat mallet or something else heavy to chop them up.
Vanilla Cook n' Serve Pudding - DO NOT prepare this before. Just use the dry mix straight from the box.
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Butter - I always use salted
MY TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- It does not have a strong pumpkin taste? No it does not. You can taste the pumpkin spice but it's not a super strong pumpkin flavor. It does not have any pumpkin in it which is why I call these 'pumpkin spice' rather than 'pumpkin'. I hope you will still make these because they taste like a pumpkin spiced pecan pie cinnamon roll combination.
- Do I have to use the pecans? Yes you do 🙂 You could always try it without but the sticky buns won't get that nice pecan coating on top. I have only ever made this recipe using the pecans. Let me know if you try it without the nuts!
- DO NOT prepare the cook n' serve pudding before sprinkling it over the frozen bread rolls. This is so important. You will think that I am wrong just having you sprinkle the dry mix over frozen rolls, but trust me.
- Make sure you buy the COOK N' SERVE vanilla pudding. It looks similar to the instant pudding but it's completely different. The box will say 'cook n' serve' right on the front.
- Can I substitute the cook n' serve pudding with instant pudding? No you can't. Get the cook n' serve and if you can't find it then wait to make this recipe until you can.
- What do I serve with sticky buns? I love to serve sticky buns with some scrambled eggs and sliced fruit. My kids love strawberries and cantaloupe so I will serve those fruits alongside some eggs, and these sticky buns for breakfast. It's a great weekend breakfast or brunch.
TRY THESE OTHER SWEET BREAKFAST RECIPES
- peaches n' cream cinnamon roll casserole
- overnight caramel pecan cinnamon rolls
- fruity baked oatmeal
- easy cinnamon roll casserole
- sausage breakfast casserole
Easy Overnight Pumpkin Spice Sticky Buns
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 18 frozen dinner rolls I use Rhodes brand
- 1 box (4.6 oz) cook n' serve vanilla pudding
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar I use light brown sugar
- Prepare a 9x13 baking dish and spray with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans in the bottom of the dish. Spread out the pecans evenly to form a nice layer on the bottom.
- Lay 18 frozen bread rolls on top of the pecans. * Lay 6 bread rolls along the long side of the baking dish. Then make two more rows. So a total of 6 rolls in a row and 3 columns.
- In a small bowl combine the contents from the cook n' serve pudding box, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. Stir with a whisk. Evenly sprinkle this over the frozen bread rolls. Trying to sprinkle each roll and then around the rolls.
- In a small saucepan, over medium-high heat, add the butter and brown sugar. Let it melt and come to a boil, while stirring it frequently to prevent it from burning (this takes about 3-4 minutes). Once boiling, turn off the heat and pour the caramel sauce over the rolls in the pan.
- Spray some plastic wrap/saran wrap with cooking spray and loosely lay it over the pan. * Make sure the sprayed side is down when you cover the pan.
- Let it sit at room temperature on the counter overnight (at least 8 hours).
- In the morning, heat oven to 350°. Bake the sticky buns for 23-25 minutes. The tops should be golden brown.
- Once done baking let the sticky buns rest for 10 minutes before inverting onto large plate or serving platter. Serve right away!