This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Instant Pot Mexican Rice is the perfect side dish to any Mexican food! Fluffy and flavorful Mexican rice is made in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker with only a few simple ingredients.
I apologize in advance for the lack of pretty pictures for this instant pot Mexican rice. Rice is like the most boring thing to photograph so to say this was a challenge would be an understatement. But, luckily, it is so delicious despite the boring pictures.
I am picky about rice. It has to be dry but not dry. Does that make sense? I don’t want it so dry that you can’t eat it without taking a drink of water. Dry as in not wet and mushy. I want the rice grains to separate not clump together.
If I am posting a rice recipe to the blog then you know it’s one that you can count on. Perfectly fluffy Mexican rice each time when you make it in the instant pot and with basmati rice. I talk about basmati rice with this cilantro lime rice recipe. Using basmati rice is the secret ingredient that yields fluffy, dry rice each and every time.
It’s more expensive than regular long-grain rice but to me it’s worth it. Other really good rice choices would be jasmine rice and long-grain rice.
How to make Mexican rice in the Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- Sauté some chopped onion in olive oil inside the instant pot. Add the dry basmati rice and let it toast until it’s nice and fragrant.
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, and some spices.
- Lock the lid and close the steam vent and let it cook. Once it comes to pressure all it takes is 12 minutes.
- The most important part is to let it do a natural release once the cook time is done. Instead of letting it sit on the warm setting, simply turn off the instant pot and leave the lid locked and the vent release locked. Just let it sit there and naturally release some pressure for 10 minutes. This is what will yield fluffy and soft rice.
- Sprinkle with some chopped cilantro and serve.
This recipe yields a lot of rice which is a really good thing when you live with a few rice lovers. My daughter loves leftover rice because her favorite snack is to warm up some rice in the microwave and sprinkle it with cheese. Cheesy Mexican rice is one of the best things ever.
Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic or garlic paste (or about 3 garlic cloves)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- chopped cilantro, optional
- Select sauté setting on the Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. Add olive oil and chopped onions. Let cook for 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add the uncooked basmati rice. Stir together frequently to prevent burning. Toast rice for about 3 minutes or until it starts to smell toasted and it's very lightly browned. Turn OFF the instant pot.
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, water, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Stir together. Lock the lid in place, making sure the valve is set to the sealed position, and press the rice function. It will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure and then cook for 12 minutes.
- When cook time is done turn OFF the instant pot and let it sit there, with the lid still locked and steam release valve still sealed, and do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes take off lid and fluff rice with a fork. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST