TURKEY TACO BURRITO BOWLS RECIPE
These turkey taco burrito bowls have been so popular since I shared them. I am so happy that y’all are loving this recipe. It really is so delicious, has big flavor, and it’s a dinner that everyone likes because you can customize your own with whatever toppings you choose.
When I make these (which is often!) I put different taco toppings in bowls and set everything out buffet style on the counter. This is also a great meal to serve to a large group or dinner guests because it makes quite a bit and can feed a large family or a crowd.
Or make it and then eat the leftovers for lunch all week. Which is really the best option because the leftovers of this are still as amazing as the first day!
I knew these turkey taco burrito bowls would be a hit because everyone can make their own just the way they like it. Set out some bowls or a platter with different taco toppings and let everyone go to work creating their own burrito bowl.
Pico de Gallo, shredded cheese, chopped olives, sour cream, avocado, guacamole, jalapenos, green onion…. the list could go on and on. Basically whatever you like on your tacos or inside your burritos is fair game.
The turkey taco meat simmers on the stove top and it is seriously loaded with flavor. I prefer ground turkey over ground beef, but you can always use ground beef if that’s what you prefer. Add in some corn and black beans and you have a hearty and filling taco meat mixture for your burrito bowls.
The key to these turkey taco burrito bowls is to let the meat simmer for as long as you can. The biggest negative I get about this recipe is that the meat mixture is soupy. The only reason it’s soupy is because it was not simmered on the stove top long enough. The longer it simmers, the thicker it will be.
I like to get my turkey mixture going and once it’s simmering I start cooking the cilantro lime rice. By the time the rice is done the meat has been simmering for about 25 minutes and it’s perfect.
SERVE THESE WITH TURKEY TACO BURRITO BOWLS
- cilantro lime rice
- instant pot cilantro lime rice
- restaurant style mexican rice (I make this all the time and it’s amazing!)
- fiesta avocado salad (great as a topping)
- pico de gallo
- cilantro lime ranch dressing (drizzle over top)
Turkey Taco Burrito Bowls
- 1.25 lbs ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Cooked rice
- Taco toppings; shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, salsa, avocado, olives, lime, shredded cheese, etc
- In a large nonstick skillet, over medium high heat, cook the ground turkey with the salt & pepper until cooked through and no longer pink, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks. Drain.
- Add the cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, and flour. Stir the mixture constantly for 1 minute while it cooks. It will be crumbly (that's ok).
- Slowly add the beef broth, a little bit at a time, while whisking to let it thicken up. Add in tomato sauce and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling add the black beans and corn.
- Turn heat to medium and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with rice and taco toppings for delicious burrito bowls.