Instant pot santa fe chicken burrito bowls are a quick dinner, thanks to the Instant pot or a pressure cooker, that everyone will love. Tender, flavorful santa fe chicken with cilantro lime rice and all your favorite burrito toppings all in a bowl!
It seems like everyone these days has an Instant Pot. Except for me! I have one now but that was only as of a few weeks ago when I broke down and got myself one finally. Although, I did not go with the name brand 'Instant Pot', instead I chose the Crock Pot Express Cooker, which is the same thing. A pressure cooker.
I love the idea of making a recipe in less than half the time it would take in a slow cooker. That way when I forget to put dinner in the slow cooker in the morning, I can still make it later in the afternoon with my Instant Pot 🙂 I can't even begin to count the number of times that we end up with cold cereal or frozen pizza because mom forgot to put dinner in the crock pot earlier in the day.
Chicken breasts, corn, black beans, tomatoes with green chilies, cilantro, green onion, and some spices are all you need. This santa fe chicken is loaded with flavor, you guys! Some may think it's slightly spicy but once you add the avocado/guacamole and sour cream, cheese and all those delicious toppings, the spice will be mellowed out.
While the chicken is cooking (it only takes 25 minutes!) prepare some cilantro lime rice. This is my very favorite recipe ever. I make it so much that I don't even need to look at the recipe anymore. My tip is to basmati rice when you make it. Basmati rice is fail-proof! Like I have never ever had a bad batch of stove top rice when I use basmati rice. Trust me 🙂
I always think of Chipotle when I make these bowls. Same concept but you don't have to spend all that money ordering out. Which is exciting for me because when my big family all goes there it's close to $50 each time. We don't do it often and we go there even less with recipes like these santa fe burrito bowls and the super popular turkey taco burrito bowls.
Oh, and I should mention that if you don't have an Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker at home, don't worry because this can very easily be made in the slow cooker as well.
Be sure and serve with all your favorite burrito & taco toppings. Shredded lettuce, cheese, pico de gallo, lime slices, avocado chunks or slices, guacamole, sour cream, cilantro, etc.
Avocado and cheese are our must haves for these burrito bowls. I hope you love these! It's the perfect excuse to use your Instant Pot for a quick & easy delicious dinner.
Instant Pot Santa Fe Chicken Burrito Bowls
Santa Fe Chicken
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 1 1/2 lbs
- 1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies drained
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Shredded lettuce, avocado, sour cream, lime wedges, shredded cheese, etc
- cilantro lime rice or any rice you prefer
- In the insert of the Instant Pot or Crock Pot Express Cooker, add the diced tomatoes, black beans, chicken broth, frozen corn, cilantro, green onions, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin. Stir together until combined.
- Cut each chicken breasts into 2 or 3 pieces. So instead of a giant chicken breasts you will have 2-3 smaller chunks. Sprinkle both sides of each piece of chicken with salt. Lay on top of the mixture in the insert. Lightly stir together so that most of the chicken breasts are covered with the mixture.
- On the crock pot express cooker, push the 'poultry' button and adjust the cook time to 25 minutes. With the Instant Pot, set the cook time manually to 25 minutes.
- When done, release the steam valve. Shred chicken with two forks and return to the insert. Stir together. It will be "soupy" but that is ok. Thats what gets the chicken so moist and tender. When serving, use tongs or a slotted spoon so you don't add the liquid to the burrito bowls.
- Serve santa fe chicken filling in burrito bowls with your favorite toppings and cilantro lime rice or any other rice you like.
- SLOW COOKER: follow directions above but instead cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST