This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Learn how to make Italian Cream Soda at home with this easy recipe that uses sparkling water, flavored syrups, and cream. Mix and match flavorings and fruit garnishes for endless possibilities.
Italian Cream Sodas make for the best Holiday drink (use coordinating flavorings to match the Holiday), party drink, or a refreshing summer beverage.
Italian Cream Soda Recipe
This refreshing and cool summertime beverage is a must-make! Making Italian Cream Sodas at home is actually easier than you think. With only 3 ingredients needed, these are so simple to make, and they’re fun to mix and match flavorings.
Creamy, sparkling Italian Soda made with carbonated water, flavored syrups, and heavy cream. Top the drink off with whipped cream and chopped fruit that matches the flavoring you used.
Some of our favorite combinations are raspberry syrup + fresh raspberries, peach syrup + fresh peach chunks, strawberry syrup + halved strawberry, pineapple & passionfruit syrups + pineapple chunks, and mango syrup + mango chunks.
Why You’ll Love This Refreshing Drink
- So Many Options : I love any recipe that can be adapted and changed up depending on what I have. There are so many endless flavor options for Italian Cream Sodas. Some of our favorites are strawberry, peach, raspberry, green apple, pineapple, mango, and passion fruit. If you can find the flavored syrup then you can use it! You can also make a mixed flavored syrup drink and combine two different syrups together. Coconut makes for a good addition to any flavor.
- Simple Ingredients + Easy To Make : With only 3 ingredients, this is a drink that can easily be made by anyone.
- Party Fave! : I love serving these drinks at a party or gathering. Set out an ‘Italian Soda’ bar with several choices of flavored syrups, the heavy cream (keep it on ice), and sparkling water options.
Easy Ingredients You Need
- Sparkling Water – This is just plain carbonated water with no flavorings. You can use sparkling water, seltzer water, or club soda. Each drink uses 8 ounces of sparkling water so make sure you have enough depending on how many drinks you’re making.
- Flavored Syrup – Regular syrups or sugar-free syrups work well in this drink. It just depends on your preference. I love the Torani Brand Syrups – you can find them on Amazon and at most grocery stores. Restaurant supply stores usually have a larger selection of flavors. Traditionally, fruit syrups and vanilla syrup is used for Italian Cream Sodas.
- Heavy Cream – This is what makes this drink ‘creamy’. If you prefer to not use the cream, that’s totally fine, make a traditional Italian Soda with no cream. You can also use half and half for a lower-fat version if wanted.
- Garnishes – Whipped cream and fruit chunks (that coordinate with the syrup used) are popular garnishes for this drink. Garnishes are optional and don’t need to be used.
How To Make an Italian Cream Soda
- Fill a tall glass cup with ice. I recommend using pebbled ice, or small ice, for the best looking drink.
- Pour in your flavored syrup of choice.
- Pour in the sparkling water.
- Stir together gently as not to make it bubble over.
- Top the drink with heavy cream. You can either leave it like it is, or gently stir the heavy ream into the Italian Soda drink.
- Garnish with whipped cream (homemade or store-bought) and coordinating fruit chunks to whatever syrup you used.
FAQ’s + Expert Tips
- Serving Size : Because this recipe makes one Italian Soda, it’s easy to make as many or as little as you need. For every drink you make, you will need 8 oz carbonated water + 1 oz syrup + 1 oz heavy cream.
- Where To Buy Flavored Syrups : You can find these at most grocery stores, on Amazon, or at restaurant supply stores. I love the Torani brand and it’s also the most popular one, so it’s probably what you will end up finding at the store. You can also order packs of syrups on Amazon (this is where I get mine).
- Shot Glass Measuring Cup : Because this recipe calls for 1 oz of syrup and cream, I like to use this Shot Glass Measuring Cup.
- Can I Make This a Cocktail? : Yes you can! I personally don’t drink alcohol but you can easily spike the Italian Soda by adding a shot of vodka or rum in with the syrup and carbonated sparkling water.
- What Is 1 oz Equal To? : 1 ounce is equal to 6 teaspoons. If you want to use a measuring spoon then you will need to measure out 6 teaspoons per 1 oz.
Italian Cream Soda
- 8 oz sparkling water
- 1 oz flavored syrup
- 1 oz heavy cream
- whipped cream & fruit chunks (optional garnish)
- Fill a tall glass with ice.
- Add in the flavored syrup and then the sparkling water. Give it a gentle stir to combine.8 oz sparkling water, 1 oz flavored syrup
- Top the drink with the heavy cream. You can leave the drink as it is, or gently swirl it around to combine the cream into the Italian soda.1 oz heavy cream
- Garnish with whipped cream (homemade or store-bought) and chopped fruit garnishes to match the syrup flavor you used.
Did You Make This Recipe?
I’d love to see it! You can share it with me on @togetherasfamilyblog and follow on Pinterest @together-as-family-blog-recipes or Facebook @togetherasfamilyblog for more!
Did you love this recipe?
Make sure to comment below so we can chat about it! Or follow on your favorite social network for even more family recipes.