This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Cherry Fluff recipe is a light & creamy sweet salad with mini marshmallows, cream cheese, Cool Whip, and cherry pie filling. It has such a pretty light pink color and it’s always a hit wherever I take it. This fluff salad is a great side dish for dinner, gathering, potluck, or bbq.
Cherry Fluff Recipe
I happen to be one of those people that love canned cherry pie filling! This cherry fluff is such a pretty side dish, or sweeter salad, and it’s easy to make with canned cherry pie filling, cream cheese, Cool Whip, mini marshmallows, and a few additional ingredients.
It’s a light, airy, creamy, and fluffy dish that has the prettiest light pink color to it.
Here is the list of ingredients that you will need to make this fluff recipe. I also share some tips so that you too can have great results making this in your own kitchen.
- Cream Cheese – For the best taste and texture, I recommend using full-fat cream cheese rather than the reduced-fat. But yes, if wanted, you can use the reduced-fat cream cheese. I just prefer the regular stuff.
- Cool Whip – Make sure this is thawed before using it.
- Powdered Sugar – This helps to sweeten the cream cheese. If you find that it’s too sweet or you want to reduce the sugar, start with 1/4 cup and go from there. I love the recipe as is with the 1/2 cup powdered sugar that’s called for.
- Vanilla Extract
- Lemon Juice – This can be fresh lemon juice (my preference) or use bottled lemon juice.
- Cherry Pie Filling
- Mini Marshmallows
How To Make Cherry Fluff with Cream Cheese & Marshmallows
Learn how to make this easy fluff recipe with the simple steps below. Be sure and also scroll to the bottom of the page where there is a printable recipe card, a pin it button so you can save it to Pinterest, and a detailed recipe card with the full ingredients and detailed instructions.
- Cream Cheese : Start by mixing the cream cheese and Cool Whip, with a hand blender, in a mixing bowl. Once combined and creamy, add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Mix again until combined.
- Cherry & Marshmallows : Add the can of cherry pie filling and bag of mini marshmallows. Using a wooden spoon (not the blender) gently fold and stir everything together until it’s mixed well and the color is a light/pale pink color.
- Refrigerate : Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes – 1 hour before serving.
- Serve : If you want a pretty presentation, like in the pictures, add some additional Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream, on top along with some maraschino cherries. You will have to buy the maraschino cherries separately in a small jar.
Tips For Success
here are a few of my helpful tips for this recipe so you can have success recreating it in your own kitchen.
- Cream Cheese + Cool Whip : It’s important to mix these together first so that you can get the cream cheese smooth without lumps. If you just mix everything together at once, that’s what will create the cream cheese lumps in the fluff. Make sure you cream them together until smooth.
- Softened Cream Cheese : To avoid a lumpy fluff make sure the cream cheese is well softened before using it. Either leave it out at room temperature for a couple of hours or microwave it (unwrapped from the foil wrapper) for just about 20 seconds. You don’t want it hot at all! Just slightly warm and soft. This will help it incorporate better and mix in smoother with the other ingredients.
- Refrigerate : This cherry fluff tastes much better after it has been in the fridge for about 1 hour before serving. You don’t want to leave it in the fridge too long before serving, or else the fluff won’t be as fluffy and light. Leftovers are still good, but for the best presentation when serving, serve it within 1-2 hours of making it.
- Garnishes : For a pretty presentation add a dollop of additional Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream on top, along with some maraschino cherries, and additional mini marshmallows if wanted.
- Fold In The Cherry Pie Filling + Marshmallows : It’s important to not use the hand mixer for this step. Use a wooden spoon or rubber/silicone spatula to very gently fold and stir the cherries and marshmallows in.
Cherry Fluff FAQ’s
- How To Store Leftover Fluff
- Leftover cherry fluff can be stored in a covered container, in the fridge, for 3-4 days.
- I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
- Substitution & Variation Ideas
- Light Dairy Products : You can use light cream cheese and/or fat-free or lite Cool Whip. I prefer the texture and taste of the regular fat cream cheese and original Cool Whip, but you can substitute if wanted.
- Pie Filling : Feel free to use any pie filling you want! I love cherry pie filling so that’s what I use, but any canned pie filling will work great in this recipe. You can try blueberry, strawberry, triple berry, or blackberry filling.
- Do I Need To Refrigerate Fluff?
- Yes, I do recommend letting this fluff refrigerate for at least 30 minutes – 1 hour before serving it.
- It’s best to not let it refrigerate for too long before serving it. It can lead to the fluff becoming thicker and it won’t be as fluffy and light. I
- I recommend serving this cherry fluff recipe within 2 hours of making it for best results.
More Fruity Salad Recipes You’ll Love
- Pear Jello Recipe
- Ambrosia Fruit Salad
- Hawaiian Cheesecake Fruit Salad
- Lemon Yogurt Fruit Salad
- Fruity Cashew Chicken Pasta Salad
- Watermelon Berry Fruit Salad
- Grape Salad
- 8 oz cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 8 oz Cool Whip thawed
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice fresh or bottled
- 1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
- 1 bag (10 oz) mini marshmallows
- In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese and Cool Whip until smooth and fully blended.
- Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Beat well until all ingredients are smooth and combined.
- Add in the cherry pie filling and the entire bag of mini marshmallows. Using a wooden spoon or rubber/silicone spatula, gently fold and stir to mix everything together.
- Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and let it refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours before serving. * I do not recommend making this too far in advance of serving it. Serve within a few hours of making it, for the best light and fluffy texture.
- Garnish the cherry fluff with additional mini marshmallows (or save a few from the bag), maraschino cherries, and whipped topping (if wanted). Serve & enjoy!