This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Oatmeal chocolate chip bread is a quick, simple, no yeast sweet bread that tastes exactly like an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie!
OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP BREAD
This recipe was the second recipe I ever posted to this blog of mine. That was almost 4 years ago! I can’t even count the times that this chocolate chip bread has been made since then.
My kids LOVE having this for an after school snack! This bread and these steel cut oatmeal energy bites are the favorite snacks at my house.
My favorite part about this bread is that it’s simple to make with easy ingredients, and that it tastes exactly like an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie but in a soft, hearty bread.
MY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- I have experimented and made this recipe using whole grain oats (instead of quick oats) and we did not like it! Which is why the recipe specifically calls for quick oats. Regular whole grain oats have a bigger size to them and it did not go well in this bread recipe. But, if you want to try it out and see if you prefer it, then do it. You can easily substitute the quick oats with whole grain, just know that it will change the texture of the bread.
- Mini chocolate chips are the best to use. But yes, regular chocolate chips will do just fine too.
- The buttermilk substitute works great in this recipe. Pour 1 tablespoon of white vinegar into a 1 cup measurer and then fill the remaining with milk. Let sit for 5 minutes so the milk can get sour. Then add into the recipe as called for.
- If the top of the bread is browning too much then loosely cover it with a piece of tin foil. I would say the last 15 minutes of bake time would be the best time to cover it.
It is so hard to take pretty pictures of bread so I hope the pictures at least do the recipe a little justice. I know y’all will love this recipe. Let me know what you think ♥
TRY THESE OTHER NO YEAST QUICK BREAD RECIPES
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Whole Grain Cinnamon Applesauce Bread
- Cinnamon Banana Bread Muffins
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bread
- 1⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup quick oats
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9"x5" loaf pan and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, oats, mini chocolate chips, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir with a whisk to break up any clumps.
- In a small bowl add the buttermilk, egg, and melted butter. Stir with a fork or a whisk until combined.
- Add the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula or wooden spoon until no flour pockets remain.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle a few extra mini chocolate chips and quick oats on top. * This is optional but does make the bread look pretty.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let the bread cool for 15 minutes in the loaf pan and then remove the bread and let it cool on a cooling rack.* This bread is good when eaten warm but it slices much cleaner and nicer if you let it cool completely.
SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER AND PIN IT TO PINTEREST