ENERGY BITES WITH STEEL CUT OATS
I consider this a lucky day because these energy bites finally lasted long enough for me to snap some photos to share with you all today. No joke, I have made these things 3 times in just 1 week and every single time they disappeared.
The third time must be the charm because I was finally able to get a picture of these glorious little energy bites to share with you all today.
NO BAKE ENERGY BITES
During the summer, and after school, my kids pretty much eat us out of the house. I am always on the look out for easy, simple, cheaper snacks to feed them that are still somewhat healthy.
These steel cut oatmeal energy bites are just that. Easy to make, only 5 ingredients needed, and they are a healthy snack to feed your kiddos.
I love the heartier texture that steel cut oats bring to traditional no bake energy bites.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE NO BAKE ENERGY BITES
- Quick 3-minute Steel Cut Oats
- Creamy peanut butter
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Shredded Coconut
Combine it all together in a bowl and mix away. Then roll them into balls. I use a small cookie scoop to do it, but your hands will also work well too. You can roll them into whatever size you want. I usually end up doing about a 1" ball.
Put those cute little things in the fridge for about 30 minutes and then devour! You actually don't have to refrigerate them right away. We ate one batch immediately after mixing them and the bites hold together so well that they don't need the fridge time to come together and hold their shape. But, I did prefer these after they had been sitting in the fridge for a bit.
You will want to store any leftovers in the fridge.
You can use any type of coconut you want. The only kind I can ever find are the coconut flakes in the baking aisle. But, you could use raw coconut, unsweetened coconut, etc.
If your kids (or you) don't like the coconut shreds, simple put the coconut in a food processor to chop it finely and then add it to the mix. I did this one time and I actually liked it this way. The coconut resembles the same size as the steel cut oats, so that way you don't have any long strands of coconut in the bites. Either way is yummy 🙂
TIPS FOR MAKING NO BAKE ENERGY BITES
- Use any type of coconut you want. You could use raw coconut, sweetened flaked coconut, unsweetened coconut. I always use the sweetened flaked coconut that I find in the baking aisle.
- A tip that I do : I do half coconut and half almonds. I put the flaked coconut + some sliced almonds in the food processor and chop them up into smaller pieces. My kids seem to like it better than the long strands of coconut.
- Please, please make sure you are using the quick, 1-minute steel cut oats. Just like quick oats they are a finer texture that does much better in these energy balls.
- Store these in the fridge. We prefer these balls cold straight from the fridge.
- If rolling the mixture into balls is sticky or difficult, place it in the fridge for a few minutes to get colder.
Steel Cut Oatmeal Energy Bites
- 1 cup quick steel cut oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut sweetened or unsweetened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup honey
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together until combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop, or your hands, roll into 1" balls. Or smaller depending on what size you want.
- These can be eaten right away or place in the fridge for about an hour.
- Store leftovers in the fridge.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST
recipe adapted from here