Oreo Rice Krispie Treats are gooey & loaded with Oreo cookies and Rice Krispies cereal. These rice krispie treats are so easy to make with only 5 ingredients. They're the best after school snack or whenever you need a sweet treat.
Oreo Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Whenever there are Oreo cookies involved I can always plan on it being a hit! These Oreo Rice Krispie Treats are a favorite snack around my house. Gooey bars, stuffed with mini marshmallows, Rice Krispies cereal, and chunks of Oreo cookies through out.
You can even switch up the flavor of Oreos you use in this recipe. One of our other favorite versions is using the chocolate Oreo cookies!
Ingredients You'll Need
Here are the easy ingredients that you will need to make this recipe in your own kitchen. I also share some tips so that you can have success recreating this recipe.
- Oreo Cookies - You will need 12 cookies for this Rice Krispie recipe. You can chop them as large or as small as you prefer. I like to leave the ones that go on top in larger chunks.
- Mini Marshmallows - The recipe calls for 12 oz of marshmallows. I buy the larger 16 oz bag and just eyeball it. I pour in a little over ¾ of the bag. If you want to measure it exactly, then 12 oz of mini marshmallows is equal to 7 cups.
- Unsalted Butter - I like to use unsalted butter when making this recipe because it has additional salt in the recipe as well. If you use salted butter then you may want to reduce the salt to ¼ teaspoon or less.
- Kosher Salt - I think using kosher salt or sea salt is best in this recipe. If using regular table salt, you may want to use less as its a finer and stronger flavored salt.
- Rice Krispies Cereal - The name brand or generic brand will both work just fine in this Rice Krispie treat recipe.
How to Make Rice Krispie Treats with Oreo Cookies (Cookies & Cream)
Learn how to make this Rice Krispie treat recipe with Oreos with the easy steps below. Be sure and read to the bottom of the post where there is a printable recipe card, a pin it button so you can save this recipe to Pinterest, and all the detailed ingredients and instructions.
- Preparation : Line a 9x9 square baking dish with wax paper or parchment paper, making sure to leave overhang on two of the sides. Lightly spray the wax paper or parchment paper with cooking spray. Chop the Oreo cookies and set them aside. Measure out the Rice Krispies cereal and set it aside.
- Gooey Marshmallows : In a pot, over medium low heat, add the mini marshmallows, butter, and salt. Stir occasionally, and heat until the marshmallow are melted and completely smooth.
- Rice Krispies + Oreos : Take the pot off the heat and add the Rice Krispies into it. Stir with a rubber spatula until all the cereal is coated with the marshmallow mixture. Add half of the chopped Oreo pieces and stir to combine.
- Pan : Pour the Rice Krispie mixture into the prepared pan. Get your hands very slightly wet, and press the mixture into the pan.
- Set Time : Let them set at room temperature for 1-3 hours before cutting into 9 squares and serving.
Tips For Success
Here are a few of my helpful tips that will hopefully make this recipe easy to recreate in your own kitchen for your family & friends.
- Oreo Pieces : I recommend not making the Oreo pieces to small, like in crumbs. It's best to leave them in larger pieces, about ¼ of an Oreo cookie. Meaning, cut the Oreo into about 4 pieces, and that's the best size to use. I also like to keep some halved Oreo cookies for the top of the Rice Krispie bars. You will end up with about 2 cups of chopped Oreo cookies from the 12 Oreos.
- Overhang : This refers to the extra length of wax paper, or parchment paper, that hangs over the sides of the baking dish. The overhang will help you lift the rice krispy treats out of the baking dish, making it much easier to cut. You can also just spray the baking dish with cooking spray and cut the squares directly in the pan and serve them that way. I like to use parchment paper when I make these. I first spray the baking dish so the parchment paper will adhere better to the pan.
- Butter : The recipe calls for unsalted butter which I find to taste the best. I normally alway stick to salted butter, but for rice krispy treats I always use unsalted butter, and then add that extra salt in. Yes, you can use salted butter but you will want to reduce the amount of salt by at least half.
- Extra Mini Marshmallows : For more gooey deliciousness, try adding 1 cup of mini marshmallows in with the Rice Krispies cereal.
- Heat Low & Slow : It's important to keep the heat at medium-low while melting the marshmallows and butter. Don't be tempted to increase the heat, to try to speed up the process, as it can cause the marshmallows to burn and scald before they ever get the chance to melt smooth.
Oreo Rice Krispie Treats FAQ's
- How Many Cups of Mini Marshmallows Does a 16 oz Bag Have?
- This recipe calls for 7 cups of mini marshmallows, which is equivalent to 12 ounces. You will need to buy the larger bag of marshmallows for this recipe.
- A 16 ounce bag of mini marshmallows has 8.5 cups in it.
- A 10 ounce bag of mini marshmallows only has 6 cups, which will not be enough for this recipe.
- What Kind of Salt Do I Use?
- I prefer using kosher salt but you can also use sea salt, or regular iodized table salt.
- How to Store Leftovers
- These rice krispy treats are best enjoyed the day they're made, and even better within the first few hours of making them!
- They will last 2-3 days if kept in an air-tight container at room temperature. The longer they are there, they will become more firm and lose their gooey softness.
- Can I Make Oreo Rice Krispies In The Microwave?
- Yes, this recipe can be adapted to be made in the microwave.
- Add marshmallows, butter, and salt in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1.5 minutes, and then stir with a rubber spatula until smooth. Microwave for 15 second increments, if needed. Once smooth, add the Rice Krispie cereal and mix. Continue with the remaining recipe.
- Variation Ideas
- Oreo Cookies : Use any flavor of Oreo cookie that you want! We love using the classic Oreos as well as the Chocolate Oreos.
- Make Them Thicker : Use a 8x8 baking dish for thicker squares.
- Extra Marshmallows : Add 1 cup of mini marshmallows in with the cereal.
- Oreo Layer : For even more cookies & cream goodness, try adding a layer of Oreo cookies in the center. Add half the rice krispie mixture to the baking dish, press down, and then add a layer of cookies, top it off with the remaining mixture and press.
More Treat Recipes You'll Love
- Scotcheroos Recipe
- Monster Cookie Energy Balls
- Easy Funfetti Donuts
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bars
- 4 Ingredients Energy Oatmeal Balls
- Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Apple Dip
- One Bowl Applesauce Muffins
Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
- 12 Oreos
- 7 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt (I use kosher salt)
- 5 cups rice krispies cereal
- Line a 9x9 square baking pan with wax paper, or parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Set aside. * You can also just spray the pan with cooking spray if wanted.
- Chop the Oreo cookies into larger pieces and not fine crumbs. I cut one cookie into about 4 pieces, and then I leave a couple of the cookies halved for the top. Set aside for later.Measure out the rice krispie cereal. Set aside.
- In a large pot, over medium low heat, add the mini marshmallows, butter, and salt. Stir occasionally, and let it cook until the marshmallows are completely smooth and the butter is melted.
- Remove from the heat. Add the rice krispie cereal and use a rubber spatula to mix it well until all the cereal is coated in the gooey marshmallow mixture.
- Mix in half of the chopped Oreo cookies. Add the other half and mix until combined. * I like to reserve some pieces for the top of the krispie treats.
- Dump the rice krispie mixture into the prepared baking pan. Get your hands very lightly wet, and use them to gently press the mixture into the pan.
- Let them set at room temperature, for about 1-2 hours, before cutting into squares and eating. * Life out with the overhang of the wax paper or parchment paper.
- For thicker bars use a 8x8 baking pan.
- I like to add an additional 1 cup of mini marshmallows in with the cereal.
- Add a layer of Oreo cookies in the middle by pressing half the mixture into the pan, adding a layer of cookies, and then adding the remaining rice krispie mixture over top and press down.
- Use any variety of Oreo cookie you want!