BANANA BARS MADE WITH YOGURT
But these banana bars made with yogurt, mashed bananas, chocolate chips, and white whole wheat flour are our very favorite!
White Whole Wheat Flour – I love using white whole wheat flour for the added nutrition but you can also use all-purpose flour as well. I don’t always have the white whole wheat flour so most of the time I end up using all-purpose. I do not recommend using whole wheat flour. It will make the bars too dense and dry.
Vanilla or Plain Yogurt – I prefer to use plain Greek yogurt but vanilla works just as well. It will give the bars a sweeter vanilla taste but that’s not necessarily a bad thing 🙂
Banana – The browner the bananas the better! Mashing the banana is a great way to get the kids involved in making these.
Chocolate Chips – Use whatever kind you like. I always use milk chocolate chips because we love the banana + milk chocolate combination. Semi-sweet or dark will work as well. I am thinking even peanut butter chips would be amazing too!
TRY THESE OTHER BANANA RECIPES
- banana chocolate chip pumpkin bread
- almond banana bread
- nutella swirl banana muffins
- banana cake with cream cheese frosting
- cinnamon banana bread muffins
Banana Chocolate Chip Yogurt Bars
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vanilla or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2-3 bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I use milk chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray OR line with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, or bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter, sugar, brown sugar, Greek yogurt, baking powder and salt. Beat until combined well.
- Add the egg, mashed banana, and vanilla extract. Beat until combined.
- Add in the flour and beat on low speed just until combined and no flour spots remain. Add the chocolate chips (reserve some for the top of bars) and stir to combine.
- Evenly spread the banana bar batter into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the reserved chocolate chips on top.
- Cook for 25-35 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the middle should come out clean. The bars will be puffy and the edges will have pulled away slightly from the pan.
- Let the bars cool in the pan for 1 hour before cutting.