This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Strawberry Jello Pie starts with a homemade graham cracker crust, filled with fresh strawberries, and then covered in an easy strawberry jello mixture. Top this strawberry pie with whipped cream for a delicious dessert!
Strawberry Jello Pie Recipe
A fresh strawberry pie with a graham cracker crust, and strawberry jello to hold it all together! This Jello Pie is always a hit.
Whenever I see all the ripe, juicy strawberries at the store I instantly think of this pie. It’s so simple, but yet easy to make, and it’s a great way to use up strawberries. No need for a complicated homemade gelatin recipe, this one uses a box of strawberry jello.
Here is the list of ingredients that you will need to make this recipe.
- Graham Cracker Crust
- Graham Crackers – You will need 12 graham crackers. Use a food processor to crush them into small crumbs, or put them inside a Ziploc bag and use a meat pounder (or something else heavy) to crush them.
- Ground Cinnamon – Just a little touch of ground cinnamon gives this graham cracker crust really great flavor. Feel free to omit this if wanted.
- Light Brown Sugar
- Melted Butter
- Strawberry Jello Filling
- Granulated Sugar
- Strawberry Jello
- Lemon Juice – Fresh or bottled is fine.
- Cold Water
- Fresh Strawberries – Make sure you rinse these well, take off the green stem part, and cut each strawberry into quarters.
How To Make a Jello Pie With Strawberries
Learn how to make a fresh strawberry pie with the easy steps below. Be sure and read to the bottom of the post where there is a recipe card that you can print, and it has all the ingredients and detailed instructions.
- Graham Cracker Crust : Combine all the graham cracker crust ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir together until it’s combined well. The mixture should resemble wet sand. Press firmly into a 9-inch pie dish. Bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool completely before proceeding with the strawberry filling.
- Strawberry Gelatin : Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and once it reaches a boil, immediately remove from the heat and pour it into a bowl. Whisk in the strawberry gelatin powder (from the box) until all the sugar is dissolved completely. Add the remaining cold water into the jello along with the lemon juice. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Pie : Cut the strawberries and place some in a single layer on the bottom of the crust. Spoon some of the strawberry gelatin over them, trying to fill in all the gaps. Add another layer of strawberries and spoon gelatin over them and in the gaps. For the final layer, dip the remaining strawberries into the gelatin and place them on top of the pie. Take any extra and fill in the gaps in the pie.
- Chill : Let the pie refrigerate for at least 8 hours, or overnight is preferred, before serving.
Tips For Success
Here are a few of my helpful tips so that you can easily recreate this recipe, with success, in your own kitchen!
- Strawberries Falling Apart When You Cut Into It? : If this happens when you’re trying to slice and serve, there is a way to fix this! Stick the pie in the freezer, covered, for about 30-45 minutes. Take a non-serrated knife and run it under hot water, dry it, and then slice through the pie. Freezing the pie will make it easier to cut through the strawberries when slicing the pie. I never do this, because it still tastes the same, even if the strawberries are not perfectly cut in each slice.
- Strawberry Jello : Do not use the sugar-free stuff. Use the regular, full sugar, strawberry Jello powder. No need to prepare it beforehand. Simply dump the dry contents from the package into the hot water mixture.
- Refrigeration Time : I can promise you that this pie will not be ready in less than the 8 hours of refrigeration time. The pie needs time to set, thicken up, and for the gelatin to thicken up and adhere to the strawberries and crust. Plan ahead and don’t try to rush this. I prefer refrigerating the pie overnight, so it’s the perfect dessert to make ahead of time if needed.
Strawberry Jello Pie FAQ’s
- How To Store Leftovers
- Store any leftover pie in the fridge (covered) for up to 5 days.
- I leave leftovers inside the pie plate and just cover the pie plate with tin foil or plastic wrap.
- Can I Freeze a Fresh Strawberry Pie with Jello?
- Yes you can freeze this pie. Prepare as directed, including the 8 hour refrigeration time. Then double wrap the pie in freezer-safe heavy duty tin foil, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw in the fridge overnight before serving.
- I will add that I don’t like freezing pie because the crust seems to get soft/wet once it’s thawed from frozen. But, if you don’t mind this, then this pie freezes great.
- Graham Cracker Crust : To save time, use a Ready Crust Graham Cracker Crust, that you can buy at the store. This might not be as tall/thick as a homemade crust so you may not use all the gelatin, just watch it carefully and don’t overfill the crust.
- Cinnamon : I love the subtle hint of cinnamon in the crust but feel free to leave that out for whatever reason.
- Graham Crackers : I have always used the plain honey graham crackers but you can try using cinnamon graham crackers (omit ground cinnamon if using these) or the vanilla graham crackers.
- How To Serve a Strawberry Pie
- This pie is best served straight from the fridge, chilled.
- I think it tastes best when you top it with some homemade whupped cream OR make it really easy and use a spray can of whipped cream. Either one is delicious!
- Do I Have to Use a Food Processor to Make the Crust?
- No, you don’t. The process photos show a food processor, but it’s not necessary. If you use a food processor, make sure that you don’t add the butter until it’s already mixed, and you can drizzle it in through the top of the processor. If mixing by hand (wooden spoon), simply add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir until combined well.
More Dessert Recipes You’ll Love
- Chessmen Cookie Banana Pudding
- Perfect Cheesecake Recipe
- Easy Lemon Cake with Lemon Pudding Frosting
- Amazing Banana Bread Cake
- Berry Crisp Dump Cake
- Layered Oreo Dessert
- Blackberry Cobbler
Strawberry Jello Pie
Graham Cracker Crust
- 12 graham cracker sheets
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter melted
Strawberry Jello Filling
- 1 box (3 oz) strawberry Jello
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh or bottled
- 1 cup cold water
- 4 cups chopped strawberries (hulled, washed, patted dry, & chopped in 4 pieces)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- OR use spray whipped cream or Cool Whip
- Preheat oven tp 350° F. Spray a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray or grease with softened butter. Set aside.
Make Graham Cracker Crust
- If using a food processor, add the graham cracker sheets (probably will have to break these up), brown sugar, and ground cinnamon into the food processor. Mix on high speed until the mixture is in finely ground crumbs. Drizzle in the melted butter, on low speed, and mix until it resembles wet sand. * If mixing by hand with a wooden spoon, add all the graham cracker crust ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir together until it's combined well and resembles wet sand.12 graham cracker sheets, 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- Pour the crumbs into the prepared pie dish and firmly press into the bottom and up the sides. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack before adding the filling.
Make Strawberry Jello Filling
- Pour the dry contents from the strawberry jello box into a heat-safe mixing bowl. Set aside. * Make sure it's a heat-safe mixing bowl, like a glass one, heavy duty plastic one, or stainless steel bowl.1 box (3 oz) strawberry Jello
- In a small saucepan, over medium-high heat, whisk together 1 cup of water, sugar, and cornstarch. Heat the sugar mixture, while stirring frequently, to a boil.1 cup water, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Once boiling remove from the heat and immediately pour it over the strawberry jello powder inside the mixing bowl. Whisk together for about 2 minutes, or until the jello has dissolved and the mixture starts to thicken.
- While whisking, slowly add the lemon juice and the cold water. Loosely cover the bowl with plastic wrap or foil and set it inside the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes. The jello will start to thicken and become slightly clumpy.1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 cup cold water
Assemble The Pie
- Put a single layer of chopped strawberries along the bottom of the cooled crust. Spoon some of the jello mixture over the strawberries, making sure to cover each strawberry and filling in the gaps between strawberry pieces.4 cups chopped strawberries
- Add another layer of strawberries, cover with some gelatin mixture, once again making sure to fill in the gaps between strawberries.
- Dip the remaining strawberries into the gelatin and press them on top of the other layer. Pour any remaining strawberry jello mixture over top the strawberries. * Use all of the jello glaze to make sure the strawberries will stick together once set.
- Cover the pie with tin foil or plastic wrap and let refrigerate for at least 8 hours, or overnight is preferred.
- Serve the pie chilled, straight from the fridge, and top with whipped cream (homemade or store-bought).
- Add the heavy cream and powdered sugar into a mixing bowl, or use a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, and beat until stiff peaks form. * This takes several minutes. Start at low speed and increase speed as it thickens.1 cup heavy whipping cream, 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Or make it really easy and use thawed Cool Whip for the topping, or buy a can of spray whipped cream.