I love a good one pan dinner recipe that can be ready in under 30 minutes. This chicken stir-fry recipe I’m sharing today is both of those things plus it’s totally delicious, kid-approved, and a family favorite recipe.
There is a surprise ingredient in the sauce that makes this taste so amazing! It reminds me of our other favorite pineapple teriyaki chicken stir-fry. The pineapple gives such an amazing and different flavor.
WHAT VEGETABLES DO I NEED FOR STIR FRY?
The great thing about this stir fry recipe is that you really can use any vegetables you want! If you love mushrooms then throw in some chopped mushrooms. Change up the colors of bell peppers you use. Add in some thinly sliced carrots. Don’t love broccoli? Well then simply leave it out and use something else in it’s place.
The recipe needs about 5-6 cups of fresh chopped vegetables so mix & match to your liking.
Bell Peppers- This is one of the fresh veggies that I never change. My kids love bell peppers and I love the color they add to this stir fry. Use two of the same color or one red bell pepper + one orange or yellow bell pepper. You can use green bell pepper if wanted as well.
Broccoli- This does need to be fresh chopped broccoli. I have not made this stir fry with frozen broccoli so I have no idea how (or if it would even) turn out. Get about 3 of the smaller bunches of broccoli heads, or if your store sells the large head of broccoli you just need that, and chop off the stem and then chop the tree looking parts into small pieces.
Onion- You can use any onion you prefer. I always use a sweet onion or white, or a yellow onion. If you like red onion you could definitely use that as well. For a stir-fry I like to cut the onion into half-moon shapes. Dicing the onion will also work too.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS 20 MINUTE DINNER RECIPE
- To make sure that this stir fry actually cooks in 20 minutes, the veggies and chicken all need to be cut the same size and fairly small. If the pieces are too large, then the chicken will take longer to cook and the veggies will either be undercooked or overcooked.
- I cut the chicken breasts into small, bite-sized pieces and then make sure the veggies are all roughly that same size.
- To make this even easier, I prepare the sauce, cut the chicken, and cut all the veggies, and place them into separate containers (covered) and store them in the fridge until it’s time for dinner. If you don’t want to make it ahead of time, simply prepare the sauce and cut the chicken & veggies before you start so it’s all ready to go.
TRY THESE OTHER QUICK & EASY DINNER RECIPES
- one pan chicken teriyaki
- 20 minute bbq beef ranchero tacos
- ultimate collection of fast dinner recipes
- one pot chicken alfredo pasta
- green chili & corn chicken enchiladas
Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 - 2 lbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bell peppers (red, orange, or yellow)
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 onion, thinly sliced into half moon shapes (yellow, white, or sweet onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed (I use garlic paste)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (I use ginger paste)
- Combine all the sauce ingredients into a small bowl and stir with a fork or whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a large skillet pan (with sides), over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and let it heat until the pan is hot. Add the chunks of chicken and sprinkle salt & pepper over the chicken. Cook and stir occasionally for 4-5 minutes until chicken is cooked through (165 temperature).
- Remove chicken to a plate and let it sit there while you cook the veggies.
- In the same pan, add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the bell peppers, broccoli, and onion. Cook for 2 minutes and then add the garlic and ginger. Stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the reserved chicken and the stir fry sauce into the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes until veggies are at desired tenderness.
- Serve the chicken stir fry over hot cooked rice, and garnish with green onions if wanted.
recipe found & adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe