7 CAN SOUP
I am sure you have seen some version of this '7 or 8 can soup' floating around Pinterest. I've made it more times than I can count but never posted it on the blog because... it uses canned chicken!
I have never even used canned chicken before this 7 can soup recipe appeared in my life. I am telling you, that it's so good and easy that I specifically keep canned chicken on hand just for this recipe.
If you have any issues with canned products well then come back tomorrow because today is all about the cans!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR 7 CAN TACO SOUP
Chicken Broth - This recipe calls for one can of low-sodium chicken broth and I highly recommend using the low-sodium broth. I have made it a few times with regular chicken broth and we all find it to be way to salty.
Green Chile Enchilada Sauce - You will find this in the Mexican food aisle by the beans and salsa. I always use 'mild' so my kids will eat it, but feel free to use a 'medium' or 'hot' enchilada sauce. I've had some readers use red enchilada sauce with success but we definitely prefer the green chile enchilada sauce.
Canned Chicken - This may be a questionable ingredient to most but trust me, no one will tell the difference, and it makes this soup a '7 can' soup and it makes this soup so easy to make. And quick too! I will only buy the Costco brand of canned chicken because it really is the best. Buy whatever kind you want just make sure it's the same size as called for in the recipe.
Canned Beans - Use whatever kind of beans you prefer. I love the pinot and black beans together in this soup, but use 2 cans of the same bean or substitute with whatever type of beans you want.
Petite Diced Tomatoes - These are just canned diced tomatoes that are cut small which makes them perfect for this soup. Use regular diced tomatoes if you can't find the petite diced tomatoes.
Taco Seasoning Packet - I always use the mild version of taco seasoning. Again, you can use homemade taco seasoning if you want. 1 packet of taco seasoning is about 2-3 tablespoons of homemade seasoning.
MY QUICK TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- If you really don't want to use canned chicken then substitute with 2 cups of shredded or chopped cooked chicken. At least try it once with the canned chicken and I am betting you'll love it!
- To increase the spice factor in this soup use hot enchilada sauce or you can even throw in a can of diced green chilies.
- The recipe as is, is not spicy at all. I always mix my kids' soup with some sour cream which helps make the spice non existent.
- Our favorite toppings are sour cream, shredded cheese, and tortilla chips! We love to dip the chips into the soup. Yum.
TRY THESE OTHER EASY SOUP RECIPES
- 8 Can Chicken Chili
- Easy Cheesy Taco Soup
- Cream Cheese Chicken Soup
- Favorite Taco Soup
- Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup
7 Can Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 can black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 can pinto beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 can sweet corn (drained)
- 1 can (12.5 oz) chicken breast (drained & flaked)
- 1 can (10 oz) green enchilada sauce
- 1 can (14 oz) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients into a large soup pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling reduce heat to low and let simmer for at least 15 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, and avocado!