AVOCADO BLACK BEAN SALAD
If you love fresh & light salads with avocado as much as I do, be sure and also try out this fiesta avocado salad or this corn & tomato avocado salad.
They're both very similar to today's recipe, but I really wanted to create a salad that had no cilantro in it. When it comes to cilantro, you either love it or hate it. I happen to love it but I also love the addition of green onion, instead of cilantro, in this avocado and black bean salad.
INGREDIENTS FOR AVOCADO SALAD WITH BLACK BEANS AND CORN
- Canned Black Beans - Be sure you drain and rinse the black beans before adding to the salad.
- Red Bell Pepper - You really can use any color of bell pepper.
- Halved Cherry Tomatoes - Cherry tomatoes are really small tomatoes that come in a package, usually 8-10 oz size packages. I also love using the tri-colored cherry tomato mix in this recipe too.
- Green Onion
- Frozen Corn - You can add the frozen corn right to the salad, or let it sit out on the counter for 30 minutes or so before adding it. The frozen corn will thaw fast and cool down the salad at the same time. Plus, if you refrigerate the salad before serving, the frozen corn will thaw by then.
- Avocado - Look for avocados that have dark (almost black but more really dark green) skin and ones that are soft to the touch. Like if you held the avocado in your hand and gently pressed on it, it should be soft. Not squishy soft (then it's brown inside) but soft.
- Olive Oil, Fresh Lime Juice, Honey, Salt, Pepper, Cumin - These mix together to create the best honey lime vinaigrette.
HOW TO SERVE AVOCADO SALAD
This salad makes a great light lunch!
Scoop the salad with some tortilla chips for a chunky type salsa
Serve as a side dish to any Mexican Food type dinner - Like these enchiladas or these baked ground chicken tacos. The salad can even be used inside burritos, on top of salads, or as a taco topping.
Take to a BBQ or Potluck for a healthier side dish option
Avocado Black Bean Salad
- 1 can (15.5 oz) black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped small
- 2 avocados, chopped (pit & skin removed)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 ½ cups halved cherry tomatoes
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced green onions
Honey Lime Vinegerette
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine black beans, red bell pepper, avocados, corn, halved tomatoes, and green onions in a mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, combine all the vinaigrette ingredients and whisk together until combined. Pour over the salad (use a spatula to scrape it all out because the honey will get stuck at the bottom). Gently toss the salad together to coat everything.
- Can be eaten right away OR refrigerated for 2-3 hours before serving. Avocados won't brown in the amount of time thanks to the lime juice. I prefer this salad after it has refrigerated for a couple hours.
TRY THESE OTHER SALAD RECIPES
Justine M Groves
LOVE, may eat the entire bowl!!
Love it summer or winter. My family did not care for the Honey Lime Vinegerette so I substitute Hidden Valley Southwest Chipotle dressing. I also add cooked chicken breast to make it a complete meal. I've found Hidden Valley Ranch Buffalo Ranch seasoning mix adds a wonderful tang to the chicken breast. This month our weather turned from 80 degrees to 30 degrees and I had the ingredients and did not want them to go to waste. I cooked the chicken and corn separately, put all the remaining ingredients in a pot with the Southwest Chipolte dressing to heat through. I topped the "salad" with the avocado just before serving. It turned out great! I also normally use a tri-blend can of beans (kidney, pinto and black). Terrific recipe.
Together as Family
Thank you for sharing your tips and how you make the recipe work for you and your family!