This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
BBQ Meatloaf is a hearty and comfort food dinner recipe made with ground beef, seasonings, bread crumbs, and then finished with a sweet bbq glaze on top. This family favorite beef recipe is always a hit for a quick weeknight dinner.
BBQ Meatloaf Recipe
This bbq meatloaf is delicious comfort food for the entire family! Perfectly seasoned meatloaf with bbq sauce, dried seasonings, bread crumbs, and heavy cream for richness and glazed with bbq sauce over top.
It’s a hearty dinner that everyone can enjoy. Learn how to make this bbq meatloaf recipe with all my tips for success below.
- Ground Beef : Ground beef like 80/20 has a higher fat content which will yield a moist meatloaf and prevent it from becoming too dry during the cooking process. If you prefer a leaner ground beef, then I would recommend using 90/10 ground beef. You want some fat so make sure to not use a super lean cut of ground beef. I like to use a pound of fattier ground beef 85/15 + a pound of leaner of ground beef 93/7 when I make this meatloaf recipe.
- Plain Bread Crumbs
- Onion : Yellow onion or white onion is best to use. Make sure it’s finely diced so you don’t end up with really large pieces of onion in the meatloaf.
- Garlic : Use fresh garlic cloves that have been minced or pressed. Use chopped garlic from a jar or use garlic paste. I recommend using one of these fresh garlic options rather than garlic powder.
- Ketchup : I use the simply organic ketchup.
- Yellow Mustard : Can also use dijon mustard or spicy mustard if you prefer some spice.
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Large Eggs
- Kosher Salt & Black Pepper
- Heavy Whipping Cream : This adds so much thickness and rich flavor to the meatloaf. The other option is to use half and half. I don’t recommend using anything lower in fat than that, as it will be too thin for the meatloaf and you will have to compensate by adding more bread crumbs.
- BBQ Sauce : Use your favorite! I do recommend using a sweeter variation of bbq sauce like honey or brown sugar. If you want some spice then try using a spicy bbq sauce.
How To Make BBQ Meatloaf with Ground Beef (Step-by-Step Directions)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lay a piece of parchment paper onto a baking sheet (if using) OR spray a 9×5 loaf pan with cooking spray. You can also spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and use that. Set aside.
- Crumble the ground beef into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining meatloaf ingredients. Use clean hands to gently mix everything together until it’s well combined.
- Transfer the meat mixture into the loaf pan and evenly spread it out and use a spoon to smooth the top. If using a baking sheet, shape the meatloaf mixture into a large oval loaf shape in the center of the pan. Do the same thing if using a 9×13 baking pan.
- Spread the remaining 1 cup bbq sauce over top the meatloaf.
- Bake uncovered for 50 minutes. Loosely lay a piece of foil over top the meatloaf and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature is at 165 degrees F.
- Allow the meatloaf to rest for about 10 minutes before slicing it and serving.
How To Store BBQ Meatloaf
- Meatloaf should be stored in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. Reheat leftover meatloaf slices inside the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. You can also reheat the meatloaf in a 350 degrees F oven for about 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- To freeze meatloaf, allow it to cool to room temperature, and then wrap the meatloaf in plastic wrap and then again in foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Allow the meatloaf to thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating in the oven.
What Do I Serve With Meatloaf?
Typically meatloaf is served with some mashed potatoes and a green vegetable on the side like green beans, peas, or broccoli.
For a healthier side dish try serving it alongside a green salad and roasted potatoes.
Leftover meatloaf is also really good served as a sandwich. Place a slice of meatloaf between two pieces of toasted bread. Add cheese for something extra if wanted.
- Make It Healthier : Use sugar-free bbq sauce instead of regular bbq sauce. Use lean ground beef (like 90/10 or 93/7). You can also use ground turkey + ground beef (1 pound of each for a leaner meatloaf).
- Lightly Beaten Eggs : Crack the eggs into a small bowl and use a fork to light beat them. It’s important to do this because you don’t want to overmix the meatloaf trying to get the eggs blended into everything.
- Spicy : Use dijon mustard or spicy brown mustard in place of the yellow mustard. Or use half and half. Add some hot sauce in with the bbq sauce for the meatloaf topping. Use a spicy bbq sauce in the recipe.
- Don’t Over Mix The Ground Beef Mixture : It’s important to first crumble the ground beef into the mixing bowl and then sprinkle the additional ingredients al over the crumbled ground beef. This helps make it easier to mix everything together rather than having one big pile of beef plus a big pile of all the additional ingredients and trying to get everything mixed. To avoid overmixing, it’s best to use your clean hands to mix the meatloaf mixture.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic (minced or pressed)
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1¼ cups plain bread crumbs
- ½ cup brown sugar bbq sauce
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup brown sugar bbq sauce
- Prep : Preheat the oven to 350℉. There are several ways to cook this meatloaf, choose your favorite way below. – Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. – Line a baking sheet (12"x17") with parchment paper for easy clean-up. – Spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Crumble the ground beef into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining meatloaf ingredients over top the crumbled ground beef. Sprinkle them all over the beef rather than dump it into one pile. * Wash hands after handling the raw meat and before adding the other ingredients.2 pounds ground beef, 1 yellow onion, 2 cloves garlic, 2 large eggs, 1¼ cups plain bread crumbs, ½ cup brown sugar bbq sauce, ½ cup heavy cream, ¼ cup ketchup, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons yellow mustard, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Use a silicone spatula or your clean hands (recommended) and gently mix everything together until it's combined. You want to make sure the seasonings and all the ingredients get incorporated well into the beef, but you don't want to over mix it or mix it too hard.
- Transfer the meatloaf mixture into the loaf pan OR shape it into an oval loaf shape if using a baking sheet or pan.
- Spread the bbq sauce topping over top the meatloaf. * Use less if wanted, anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1 cup is great for the topping.1 cup brown sugar bbq sauce
- Bake the meatloaf, uncovered, for 50 minutes. Loosely lay a piece of foil over top the meatloaf and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160℉.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.