BBQ beef pasta skillet is a one pan dinner made on the stove top in just 30 minutes! Ground beef cooks with mini pasta and corn in a flavorful beef broth and covered in cheese. Simple ingredients but huge flavor that the entire family will love.
Oh boy, am I glad to be back at this whole blogging thing. It’s been an entire week of one sick kid after the other. They all 4 just fell like dominoes! Of course, they couldn’t get sick at the same time they just had to do one-by-one. Which means that I literally got nothing done for the past week. No cleaning. No cooking. No blogging. No shower (lol, just joking 🙂 ).
But, what I did get done is some recipe research and brainstorming. It’s amazing what you can accomplish when you spend most your time holding, rocking, and cuddling your baby on the couch. He had a 105 degree fever and was so sick and lethargic, and tired. One of the most helpless feeling I’ve ever had. So we cuddled lots and I had lots of time to browse recipes and think of recipe ideas in my head.
This one pan BBQ Beef Skillet Pasta was one that I found on Betty Crocker. I knew the minute that I read ’30 minutes and one skillet pan’ that I just had to make it. The ingredients and how simple it seemed made me think that it was too good to be true. Trust me when I say that this quickly became one of my family’s favorite dinners. It’s really good!
How to make this 30 minute, one pan BBQ Beef Pasta Skillet
- In a skillet pan, with high sides on it, brown some ground beef, salt, and chopped red bell pepper. Drain it and return to the pan. Add beef broth, BBQ sauce, and mini pasta. Bring it all to a boil and then cover with a lid and reduce the heat.
- After about 15 minutes, add in the corn and sprinkle lots of cheese over the top and let it melt into the pasta.
- Serve it up and watch everyone devour this stuff!
I love the mini pasta in this dish. They’re miniature sizes of regular pasta shapes like bow-tie or penne pasta. They are in the pasta aisle with all the other pasta. The only brand I have seen that makes the mini size is the Barilla brand.
The recipe is written for the mini size pasta, so please be sure and use it. If you use the normal size pasta then you may have to try using less pasta like 1 cup instead of the 1 1/2 cups.
Tips for this BBQ Beef Pasta Skillet
- Use the mini pasta! If you have to use the regular sized pasta noodles, you may have to use less than the amount called for. The mini size is super cute and so easy to work with in this recipe, so buy it 🙂
- When you add the pasta in with the broth, stir it all up and make sure that all the pasta is covered in the beef broth. This ensures that the pasta will cook all the way through.
- If you have some liquid left after the cooking time, simply take the lid off and let it sit. This will help thicken it up. I did not think it had too much liquid, but I did want to mention this because someone might need the info.
- Use as much or as little cheese as you want. I ended up using a little over 1 cup of shredded cheese. If you want extra cheesy then just add more!
- Use a BBQ sauce that you LOVE. I always use a sweet variety of Sweet Baby Ray’s.
Products I recommend for this BBQ Beef Pasta Skillet
- You need a large skillet pan with high sides for this recipe. I love this one and use it for all my one pan skillet meals.
- This meat chopper is my #1 kitchen must have! I always give it as a gift because it’s seriously my favorite and most used kitchen item. It chops ground meats up into small pieces so you don’t have huge chunks of it in your dish. You really have to have one if you don’t 🙂
If you love BBQ then you also need to try these BBQ Beef Ranchero Tacos too! One of my favorite twists to a classic taco.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1 1/2 cups mini bow-tie pasta dry pasta, do not prepare
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese I use colby-jack
In a 12-inch skillet pan, over medium-high heat, add ground beef, red bell pepper, and salt. Cook and crumble until beef is no longer pink. Drain.
Add the beef broth, bbq sauce, and mini pasta noodles. Stir together making sure that all the noodles are covered in the beef broth. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Let cook for 15-18 minutes, or until the pasta is tender and most the liquid is absorbed.
Add in corn and 1 cup of the cheese. Stir until combined. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and cover with the lid for a few minutes until the cheese has melted.
Serve with green onions if wanted.
Use a BBQ sauce that you love! I always use the sweet brown sugar bbq sauce from Sweet Baby Ray's.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker
If you use reduced-sodium or no salt added beef broth, then you will probably have to add additional salt in with the beef broth mixture. I used full-salt, regular beef broth and I did not add any, besides the 1/2 teaspoon in with the ground beef. Use your judgement as you know what your salt liking is.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST