BBQ turkey sloppy joes can be on the dinner table in just 15 minutes! Ground turkey simmers with tomato sauce, BBQ sauce and spices. Serve over hamburger buns for an easy and delicious dinner that is family approved and loved by kids.
Easy dinner! I just love those dinner recipes that literally take minutes to make. I like it even more when the recipe uses simple, pantry staple ingredients. Not only is this an easy dinner but it is very inexpensive too. Which is the best thing ever if you’re anything like me and always go over on your grocery budget.
Speaking of grocery budgets, do you have one? I was talking to a friend the other day and she said they don’t have one and then it got me thinking if it’s normal to not have one or if most people set a limit and try to stick to it. What do you do? We have a weekly budget that
I try I never stick to 🙂
One pan and a few ingredients is all you need. Oh, and don’t forget the potato chips. Do you put potato chips on your sloppy joes? I remember someone doing it when I was younger (I forget who) and thinking that it was so gross. But then I tried and I realized how wrong I was. The crunchy, salty potato chips are so delicious with the soft bun and flavorful, rich sloppy joe meat.
We prefer the baked potato chips. The baked chips are crunchier which is the reason we love them. You can also switch it up and use BBQ chips or the cheddar & sour cream chips. So yummy! Try it.
How to make BBQ turkey sloppy joes
- Cook ground turkey in a skillet pan with some chopped onion, chopped green pepper, and some salt and pepper. To make cooking ground meat really easy, be sure and get yourself a meat chopper. I buy mine on Amazon and they are only a few dollars.
- Add tomato sauce, BBQ sauce and seasonings to the cooked ground turkey and then let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve over rolls of your choice or hamburger buns.
- For an even more delicious sloppy joe, toast the hamburger buns and then lay a piece of cheese over one side and stick it back in the oven to melt. Then serve the sloppy joe mixture over it for a cheesy sloppy joe.
- 1.25 lbs (20 oz) lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Hamburger buns or Rolls
In a large skillet pan, over medium-high heat, cook ground turkey, onion, green pepper, and salt. Cook and crumble ground turkey until cooked through and no longer pink. Drain.
Stir in tomato sauce, BBQ sauce, and seasonings. Reduce heat to medium and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
Serve with hamburger buns or rolls of choice. You can also serve with a slice of cheese and/or toast the hamburger buns as well. We love putting potato chips in our sloppy joes.
I prefer to use a sweeter BBQ sauce like a brown sugar or honey BBQ sauce. We love Sweet Baby Ray's brand so that is what I always use.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST