This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Cheesy Doritos Chicken Casserole is an easy casserole recipe that the whole family will love! This creamy chicken casserole is loaded with all the Tex-Mex flavors along with crunchy Doritos and lots of cheese. Perfect family favorite easy dinner recipe for busy weeknights.
Easy chicken casserole recipes are always a favorite around my house – like this Fiesta Chicken Casserole that has pasta in it, Taco Stuffed Shells Casserole which is a taco-twist to classic stuffed shells, or my Beef Taquito Casserole that uses frozen taquitos for easy prep!
Cheesy Doritos Chicken Casserole Recipe
I love all varieties of delicious casserole recipes because they’re made in one pan! I especially love the ones that call for easy prep, no extra chopping (which means no knife + cutting board), and simple ingredients that I usually have in my pantry. This Mexican chicken casserole (aka – cheesy Doritos casserole) is the perfect recipe. It’s a dump & go dinner that gets ‘mixed and dumped’ in a large mixing bowl, and then it is layered inside a casserole dish with crunchy chips and cheese.
The flavor of Doritos and their cheesy crispy crunch is the best part. If you have Doritos chip lovers in your house (who doesn’t?!) then this comfort food casserole needs to be made soon. Let’s learn how to make it with all my tips and lots of information for success.
Easy & Simple Ingredients Needed
- Cooked Chicken : This can be shredded chicken, chunked chicken, grab a rotisserie chicken from the store, use up leftover chicken, or even canned chicken.
- Doritos Chips : I recommend using Nacho Cheese Doritos but you could also use Cool Ranch Doritos as well for a different favor. This recipe will use one entire bag of Doritos (Yum! You know it’s gonna be good!).
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Sour Cream
- Black Beans : Drain and rinse the black beans well.
- Frozen Corn : No need to thaw it, just throw it in the mixing bowl.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese : Any variety of cheese can be used in this cheesy casserole – great options are cheddar, Colby Jack, Monterey Jack, Mexican blend cheese, or pepper jack.
- Chili Powder, Cumin, Garlic Powder
- Fresh Chopped Cilatro & Sliced Green Onions : These are optional garnishes but I highly recommend at least using one of them! Adds color and a burst of flavor.
How To Make Cheesy Chicken Casserole With Doritos Chips (Printable Recipe Card)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, salsa, black beans, frozen corn, 1 cup of cheese, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Stir until everything is combined well. Season with salt & pepper if necessary.
Spread half of the crushed Doritos chips in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Layer the chicken mixture over top the Dorito chips.
Sprinkle the remaining Doritos nacho chips over top the chicken mixture. Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly, chips are toasted, and the cheese is melted.
Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool for 3-5 minutes before serving. Garnish with sliced green onion and/or chopped cilantro if wanted.
How To Store Leftover Dorito Chicken Casserole Recipe
Any leftover casserole should be moved to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil or a lid to store leftovers.
- To Reheat : cover the casserole with aluminum foil and warm it in the oven at 350 degrees F until heated through. You can also reheat individual portions in the microwave. Divide leftovers into smaller portions, if reheating in the microwave, for easier reheating.
- To Freeze : Let the casserole cool completely after baking, then cover the dish with two layers, one of plastic wrap and then a layer of aluminum foil, or transfer it to an airtight freezer-safe container. It can be frozen for up to 2-3 months. When ready to eat, thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat as usual.
What Are Substitutions I Can Make?
- Chicken : Instead of shredded or chunked chicken, you can use cooked and seasoned ground beef or ground turkey instead. I would recommend using a pack of taco seasoning if making ground meat for this recipe. Make it really easy and use rotisserie chicken meat from a rotisserie chicken (I love the ones from Costco). You can also put 2-3 chicken breasts into the slow cooker (fresh or frozen) with a can of chicken broth. Cook on LOW heat for 6-7 hours and then shred the chicken with two forks.
- Doritos : Use nacho cheese, cool ranch, or you can use Fritos corn chips, or tortilla chips.
- Cream of Chicken Soup : Substitute with cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup for a slightly different flavor. Use a heart healthy version if needed for dietary reasons.
- Sour Cream : Plain Greek yogurt or plain yogurt can be used. Or a dairy-free sour cream if you need it to be dairy free.
- Salsa : Use your favorite salsa (any variety like chunky, black bean, corn, etc.) or use a can of rotel tomatoes or diced tomatoes with green chiles instead. Make sure the can of tomatoes is drained before adding them into the large mixing bowl of ingredients. I prefer using the fresher salsas that you can find in the produce/deli area of the grocery store.
- Black Beans : Any variety of canned bean can be used – pinto beans, kidney beans, navy beans, etc.
- Shredded Cheese : Use any meltable cheese you prefer such as Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, Colby Jack, or a Mexican cheese blend.
What Should I Serve With Doritos Casserole?
- Green Salad – A simple green salad with a vinaigrette dressing will provide a refreshing contrast to the richness and creamy chicken base of the casserole.
- Mexican Rice – A side of Easy Mexican Rice or Cilantro Lime Rice can complement the flavors in the casserole and make the meal more filling.
- Guacamole & Chips – Serve with some tortilla chips and Guacamole for a fun side dish idea.
- Taco Toppings – Serve your favorite taco toppings so everyone can garnish the top of the casserole how they like. Try some shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, black olives, jalapeños, chopped cilantro, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, or avocado slices.
Cheesy Chicken Dorito Casserole Recipe FAQ’s
Can I Make This Casserole Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can prepare the casserole ahead of time. Assemble the casserole, cover it, and store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours before baking. You may need to add a few extra minutes to the baking time if you’re baking it cold from the fridge. You can also set the casserole out at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes while the oven preheats for baking.
Which Doritos Are Best To Use?
I recommend using Nacho Cheese Doritos for this recipe. Cool Ranch Doritos can be used if that’s the flavor you prefer.
Can I Add More Seasonings?
Although the recipe calls for dried seasonings already, you can definitely add more to your liking. Use a packet of taco seasoning or chicken taco seasoning instead of the separate dried spices. Add some spice by using cayenne red pepper or additional chili powder. Add additional garlic powder or fresh garlic cloves that have been minced or pressed.
More Easy Dinners
- Taco Casserole
- Dump & Bake Chicken Alfredo Casserole
- Ravioli Bake
- Crispy Chicken Caesar Wraps
- Creamy & Cheesy Southwest Chicken Pasta
- Quick BBQ Ham Sandwiches
Doritos Chicken Casserole
- 1 bag (9.75 oz) Nacho Cheese Doritos (slightly crushed)
- 3 cups cooked chicken (shredded or chopped)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 can (10.5 oz) cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt & pepper (to taste, if needed)
- chopped fresh cilantro
- sliced green onions
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, black beans, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, salsa, frozen corn, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Stir until everything is combined well. Season with salt & pepper if necessary. * Depending on what chicken you are using, you may need to add some additional salt and pepper. Taste the creamy chicken mixture to decide. I use a rotisserie chicken usually which is already well seasoned.3 cups cooked chicken, 1 can (15 oz) black beans, 1 can (10.5 oz) cream of chicken soup, 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup salsa, 1 cup frozen corn, 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, 1 teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, kosher salt & pepper
- Spread half of the crushed Doritos chips in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. * Don't crush the chips too much. You want some larger crushed pieces and some smaller pieces. I just open the bag and then use my two hands (on the outside of the bag) to push and press the chips to crush them slightly.1 bag (9.75 oz) Nacho Cheese Doritos
- Layer the chicken mixture over top the Dorito chips.
- Sprinkle the remaining Doritos nacho chips over top the chicken mixture. Top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly, chips are toasted, and the cheese is melted.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool for 3-5 minutes before serving. Garnish with sliced green onion and/or chopped cilantro if wanted.chopped fresh cilantro, sliced green onions