PASTA FAGIOLI SOUP RECIPE
You may know this Pasta Fagioli Soup from a popular chain restaurant. I have never had it so I can't say if it's a copycat or not but I do know that this soup is AMAZING.
The "secret" ingredient is a jar of spaghetti sauce and trust me when I say that it totally makes this soup crazy delicious.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST PASTA FAGIOLI SOUP
Onion - I use a yellow onion but you could use white onion or sweet Vidalia onion if wanted.
Beef Broth - Recipe has been tested with two cans reduced sodium beef broth + one can regular beef broth. If you use all 50% reduced-sodium beef broth you may need to add some additional salt at the end depending on preference. If you use all full salt beef broth then you may need to not add the additional ½ teaspoon later in the recipe.
Petite Diced Tomatoes
Spaghetti Sauce - Make sure it's one that you love! I always use a more normal flavor of spaghetti sauce like tomato & basil or traditional.
Sliced Celery & Carrots - I like to use baby carrots for this recipe because there is no need to peel them and they are already small in size so all you have to do is slice them.
Kidney Beans - Dark or light kidney beans will work fine. I use light kidney beans cause that's what I prefer.
Oregano, Basil, Salt, & Pepper
Small Shell Dried Pasta
WHAT TO SERVE WITH PASTA E FAGIOLI SOUP
I love making my 1 hour soft & fluffy rolls when I make this soup. It's the best to soak up that extra broth with a fluffy roll. You can also just buy some store-bought rolls. Some frozen rolls that you bake. Or buy a bag of frozen crusty rolls that get warmed up in the oven for a few minutes.
TRY THESE OTHER DELICIOUS SOUP RECIPES
- minestrone soup
- cream cheese chicken soup
- creamy chicken wild rice soup
- 7 can chicken taco soup
- vegetable soup
Hearty Pasta Fagioli Soup
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cans (14.5 oz each) beef broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes do not drain
- 1 jar (24 oz) spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans drained & rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans drained & rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz dried small shell pasta about 1½ cups
- In a LARGE stock pot, cook ground beef, onion, and ½ teaspoon salt over medium-high heat. Crumble beef as you cook it until no longer pink. Drain.
- Add beef broth, diced tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, celery, carrots, beans, oregano, basil, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover pot with lid and reduce to medium-low heat.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes. Vegetables should be tender and you may have to lift the lid and check on it 1 or 2 times to stir it and make sure it's not burning or too hot. Reduce heat to low, if needed.
- Add pasta and cover with lid. Let simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until the pasta is cooked.
- Serve with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge for several days or divide the leftovers into quart-sized Ziploc bags and freeze. Just add some additional water or beef broth when reheating soup from the freezer.