PASTA FAGIOLI SOUP RECIPE
You may know this Pasta Fagioli Soup from a popular chain restaurant. I have never had it so I can’t say if it’s a copycat or not but I do know that this soup is AMAZING.
The “secret” ingredient is a jar of spaghetti sauce and trust me when I say that it totally makes this soup crazy delicious.
The directions say to let the soup simmer for at least 30 minutes and please actually do that. The flavor develops into this rich and almost creamy like soup while it simmers. It really is so yummy, so promise me you will let it simmer for the full 30 minutes!
Spend that 30 minutes to continue binge watching (so guilty here!) your favorite Netflix show. Or do something more fun and practical like break up fights between your two oldest kids, pick up all the dishes from the kitchen floor because your 1 year old likes to empty the cabinets, or clean up the chocolate milk that my 3 year old has spilled for the 3rd time in one day. Yes, this is my life people. Real life 🙂
Serve this pasta fagioli soup with some garlic bread because dipping the bread into the hearty broth is heaven. I will usually buy a bag of frozen pre-cooked crusty French rolls and then heat them in the oven for 10 minutes.
They are crispy on the outside but soft in the center. Perfect for dipping into this soup. Or of you want to get real fancy then try my soft & fluffy 1 hour rolls to dip into this soup. Just thinking about that combo has my mouth watering and now I’m starving!
Hearty Pasta Fagioli Soup
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion (finely diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cans (14.5 oz each) beef broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 jar (24 oz) spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz dried small shell pasta (about 1 1/2 - 2 cups)
- In a LARGE stock pot, cook ground beef, onion, and 1/2 teaspoon salt over medium-high heat. Crumble beef as you cook it until no longer pink. Drain if needed.
- Add beef broth, diced tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, celery, carrots, beans, oregano, basil, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover pot with lid and reduce to medium-low heat.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes. Vegetables should be tender and you may have to lift the lid and check on it 1 or 2 times to stir it and make sure it's not burning or too hot. Reduce heat to low, if needed.
- Add pasta and cover with lid. Let simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until the pasta is cooked.
- Serve with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge for several days or divide the leftovers into quart-sized Ziploc bags. Just add some additional water or beef broth when reheating soup from the freezer.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST