This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Ground Beef Stroganoff is an easy dinner recipe that comes together quickly with ground beef, a gravy packet for lots of flavor, sour cream, and cream of mushroom soup. It’s the easy way to make the classic comfort food beef stroganoff.
Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe
I love delicious dinners that my entire family will willingly eat like this ground beef stroganoff recipe. No one in my family likes mushrooms (me included!) but no one even knew there were mushrooms in this beef stroganoff. Thanks to the cream of mushroom soup the mushrooms are hidden but you still get that classic flavor.
If you’re looking for all the classic mushroom flavor of beef stroganoff but without the huge chunks of chewy mushrooms then this recipe is a must try!
A creamy mushroom gravy ground beef mixture simmers in one pan while egg noodles cook in another pot. Combine them all together for a yummy dinner that even the kids will love.
What You’ll Need
With a few store bought shortcut ingredients you can have this on the table in no time!
- Wide Egg Noodles – You can use either extra wide egg noodles or wide noodles. They are same thing just slightly different sizes and shape of noodle. Make sure you are using the 12 ounce bag. Cook according to package directions and remember to add salt so they have some flavor to them.
- Ground Beef – I use lean 93/7 ground beef but you will drain the fat off anyways so feel free to use whatever ground beef you want.
- Onion – I use a yellow onion or a white onion for this recipe.
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder – Seasonings for the ground beef.
- Brown Gravy Mix Packet – Probably the secret ingredient! It helps thicken up the stroganoff sauce and provides so much flavor.
- Sour Cream – The signature ingredient in a beef stroganoff. Provides a lighter color to the creamy sauce.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup – I don’t use this ingredient a lot in my cooking but in this recipe it’s so good. With the other added ingredients it really helps perk up the canned mushroom sauce.
- Dried Parsley
How to Make Easy Beef Stroganoff with Cream of Mushroom Soup and Ground Beef
Making this dinner recipe is actually easy. All you need is a skillet pan with high sides and a pot to boil the egg noodles in.
Start Water Boiling For Pasta : I like to put my pot of water onto the stove top before I start browning the ground beef. This way, by the time the time the ground beef mixture is cooked and simmering, it’s time to add the noodles into the boiling water. This way it’s all done at the same time.
Cook Ground Beef : Brown and crumble the ground beef, onion, and seasonings until beef is no longer pink. Drain the excess grease/liquid from the pan.
Add Stroganoff Ingredients : Add the brown gravy mixed with water, sour cream, and cream of mushroom soup into the cooked ground beef. Stir and let it come to a low boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 10 minutes while the egg noodles cook.
Cook Egg Noodles : Once the meat is simmering throw the egg noodles into the boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Drain the noodles but do not rinse them.
Combine : Add cooked egg noodles and dried parsley into the creamy stroganoff mixture and stir it up. It’s ready to serve!
Tips For Success
Here a few helpful tips that will make this recipe a hit in your own home.
- Salt The Pasta Water – Once the water is boiling be sure and add salt so the noodles have some flavor! I add about 1 teaspoons (maybe slightly more) into the water before I add the dry noodles in.
- Don’t Rinse Off The Cooked Egg Noodles – No need to rinse the pasta in cold water after draining it. We want the ground beef stroganoff sauce to stick to the noodles so we don’t want to wash off the extra starch.
There are a few substitutions and ways to change up the recipe. I make it as is, but feel free to try some of these.
- Use Ground Turkey : Beef Stroganoff is not traditionally made with ground turkey but if you want to cut some fat and calories from the dish then use 1 pound of ground turkey instead.
- Egg Noodles : There are wide egg noodles, extra wide egg noodles, etc. Any egg noodle will work just make sure it is around the 12 ounces that is called for in the recipe.
- Gravy packet : Try a different flavor of gravy packet if you want. Make sure it’s the same size as what is called for.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup : If this is something that you don’t want to use then feel free to make your own homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup.
Serving Suggestions For Ground Beef Stroganoff
This ground beef stroganoff is almost a complete meal in one. I love to serve this with some kind of vegetable side dish like these slow cooker sweet carrots, oven roasted parmesan brussels sprouts, or this honey butter skillet corn.
You could also serve it with some cut up fruit like strawberries, watermelon, mandarin orange segments.
Lots of times I will buy a bag of Caesar salad mix at the grocery store and mix that up real quick for an easy side dish to dinner.
How To Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftovers in a covered container, like a Tupperware, for 3-4 days.
Leftovers reheat well in the microwave.
Try These Other Easy Ground Beef Dinner Recipes
Vegetable Beef Soup – Easy soup with frozen veggies and ground beef.
Creamy Beef Noodle Bake – Seasoned ground beef, egg noodles, cheese, and cottage cheese make a delicious casserole.
Cheeseburger Biscuit Cups – A kid favorite dinner recipe!
Ground Beef Country Casserole – A comfort food classic with ground beef, tomato soup, and cream of mushroom soup.
One Pot Homemade Hamburger Helper – Just like the boxed mix but better! Made at home in one skillet pan with ground beef.
Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 packet (0.87 oz) brown gravy mix
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 can (10 oz) cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 bag (12 oz) wide egg noodles
- ** Fill a pot with water and start it boiling while you cook the ground beef mixture. That way once the meat is ready to simmer, the water is already boiling and you just have to add your egg noodles in.
- In a skillet pan, over medium-high heat, cook and crumble the ground beef, onion, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper until ground beef is no longer pink. Drain the excess grease/liquid.
- Whisk together the contents of the gravy packet with the cold water until combined. Pour this into the ground beef.
- Add the sour cream and cream of mushroom soup and stir everything together until combined.
- Let the mixture simmer over medium or medium-low heat while the noodles cook (about 10 minutes).
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. Remember to add about 1 teaspoon of salt to the boiling water so the noodles have flavor. When the noodles are done cooking, drain them but do not rinse them.
- Add the noodles and dried parsley into the creamy ground beef mixture and stir together to combine.