Vegetable Beef Soup only needs one pot and 30 minutes on the stove. Ground beef, frozen vegetables, tomato sauce, beef broth, and a couple surprise ingredients make this vegetable beef soup so delicious & easy to make!
VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP RECIPE
It’s safe to say I have a thing for vegetable beef soup recipes. One of the all-time reader favorite recipes, that happens to have 5 star reviews, is this hamburger vegetable soup.
Let me tell you, it’s really incredible and reminds me a lot of today’s recipe. Ground beef with some added veggies and it cooks all in one pot.
This quick version of vegetable beef soup has two secret ingredients that sound odd (trust me!) but they give this soup so much flavor.
- Ground Beef – I always use lean 93/7 ground beef and I still drain it. Even with the lower fat ground meat you will still have some liquid pool up as it cooks. I just drain it off before adding the other ingredients.
- Beef Broth – The recipe calls for the full-salt version of beef broth and you need it! This soup relies on the hearty flavors from the beef broth, and the two “surprise ingredients”.
- Frozen Vegetables – You need frozen mixed vegetables + frozen corn. Put them out on the counter to thaw before you begin chopping the onion and cooking the ground beef. This way they are slightly thawed and will cook during the simmering time.
- Soy Sauce – This is the first surprise ingredient! Traditionally you see this in Asian & Chinese inspired dishes but the salty flavor it adds goes perfectly with this soup. I use the reduced-sodium soy sauce. If you use the full salt soy sauce you might find the soup a tad too salty or not. Depending on your salt preference.
- Molasses – I know. I know. Totally weird. But it adds a thick, dark, slightly sweet flavor to the soup and it’s amazing. It’s even worth buying molasses just for this recipe (that’s what I did anyways). There really is no substitute but if you must, try using dark brown sugar or even dark corn syrup. But again, I’ve never substituted this ingredient so I can’t promise the results if you choose to.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS SOUP RECIPE
I find that this soup does not need any extra toppings. It’s so yummy as it is. But if you’re the type that needs some toppings on your soup, then try adding some shredded parmesan cheese and/or some oyster crackers (or even saltine crackers). But honestly, you really don’t need anything besides a dinner roll to sop up the goodness 🙂
TRY THESE OTHER SOUP RECIPES
Quick Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup chopped onion)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- Place frozen vegetables out on the counter to thaw slightly. This ensures that they will cook within the simmering/cook time of the soup. *I just leave them out while I chop the onion and cook the ground beef.
- In a large soup pot, over medium-high heat, cook & crumble ground beef, onion, garlic powder, and dried basil until beef is no longer pink. Drain.
- To the same pot, add the beef broth, tomato sauce, slightly thawed vegetables, soy sauce, and molasses. Stir together and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce hear to medium-low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
recipe adapted from Taste of Home