This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
INSTANT POT MINESTRONE SOUP
Instant Pot Minestrone Soup is packed full of fresh veggies, beans, pasta, and a seasoned tomato & vegetable broth base. After some chopping it only needs to cook for 6 minutes in the Instant Pot.
If you’re a fan of minestrone soup then you’ll love my recipe for the best minestrone soup (made on the stove top) or this easy hamburger minestrone soup. Minestrone soup is best served with some dinner rolls to sop up that hearty savory broth.
HOW TO MAKE MINESTRONE SOUP IN THE INSTANT POT
Celery, Carrots, Onion, Zucchini – Be sure and cut all the veggies about the same size. To save some time buy some pre-chopped vegetables in the produce area of the grocery store. I prefer to chop my own. I also use baby carrots in this recipe which work perfectly because there is no need to peel them, and they are already small in size so all you have to do is slice them thin.
Garlic – Use fresh garlic cloves that have been minced or pressed. Use chopped garlic from a jar or use garlic paste from the tube. Any type of garlic will work just fine.
Petite Diced Tomatoes
Great Northern Beans
Light Red Kidney Beans – Dark Red Kidney beans will also work too.
Small Shell Pasta – I prefer the shell pasta but you can use any small shaped pasta. Like ditalini or even elbow would work.
Basil, Parsley, Oregano – These are all dried spices. No need to buy fresh herbs that cost a fortune.
TRY THESE OTHER DELICIOUS INSTANT POT RECIPES
- perfect instant pot baked ziti
- instant pot cashew chicken
- instant pot santa fe chicken burrito bowls
- instant pot honey chicken
- instant pot potato corn chowder
Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup finely sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) great northern beans drained & rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) light red kidney beans drained & rinsed
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup small shell pasta
- Push the sauté button on the Instant Pot. Add the olive oil, carrots, celery, zucchini, onion, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the Instant Pot liner. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes to get the veggies softened. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds longer. Turn off sauté mode.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the Instant Pot, stir together and cover with the lid. Set the knob to to the 'sealed' position. Press the 'soup' button or the 'manual' button and set the time for 6 minutes. *It will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure and then it will start the 6 minute cook time.
- When cook time is done do a quick release on the valve. Let the steam and pressure out. When ready, take the lid off and stir the soup.
- Stir with parmesan cheese if wanted. Leftover soup stores well in the fridge for about two days. The pasta tends to soak up the liquid once it's refrigerated so you may have to add a tiny amount of water or broth to it.
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to see it! You can share it with me on @togetherasfamilyblog and follow on Pinterest @together-as-family-blog-recipes or Facebook @togetherasfamilyblog for more!
Did you love this recipe?
Make sure to comment below so we can chat about it! Or follow on your favorite social network for even more family recipes.
Looks delicious. Can this be doubled? I have an 8 quart and 4 very hungry men in the household.
I use the smaller 6 QT IP for this recipe and it works great. My only concern with doubling the recipe for a larger IP is that there may be too much liquid/stuff for it. I’ve never tried it so I can’t say for sure, but it may work just fine!
For what it’s worth, I think there would be plenty for 4 men without doubling the recipe. Serve it with a side of garlic bread, cornbread, or some type of roll and it’s a pretty hearty meal.
Anyone try this with gluten free pasta? Wondering how it would hold up, would it get mushy later on and make for not so good left overs?
I make my soups with the gluten free noodles on the side and add as we go. Good for leftovers that way!
This is the best thing I have made in my instant pot yet! So good and so easy!
I sautéed a 1/2 lb of sausage in the pot before I sautéed the veggies. I also added two bay leaves and a splash of Worcestershire. I only had fire roasted diced tomatoes so I used those as well.
Since my husband is gluten free I made the pasta and added that separately after cooking, I was scared for the pasta to turn to mush.
I love how easy and adaptable this recipe is. Thank you so much for posting. I will be madding this again for sure.
This soup was delicious, it made a generous amount! I added more shells because I’m a big fan of pasta.
Is it the same directions if you were going to use a crock pot? If not how do I go about using a crock pot instead?
You will need to cook it for about 6 hours on low for a slow cooker and add the pasta half an hour before it’s done. I used to do a minestrone recipe very similar to this one in the slow cooker.
Can you substitute beef broth for the vegetable broth? There is a place here who makes the best minestrone soup and they use a beef broth and it tastes amazing
Yes you can!
Excellent recipe, turned out so yummy. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks for the recipe. Do you use the soup setting? Because on manual my IP preheats for about 40 minutes before cooking for 6 with this one….
I always just use the manual setting. I’ll be honest, I don’t love making soup in the IP because of all the liquid it does always take longer to come to pressure. Mine has never taken 40 minutes so I am not sure there. IP’s can be so finnicky. I have this stove top version that you might find easier. I’ll have to retest this recipe because it has been awhile since I made it. Thanks for your comment. https://togetherasfamily.com/minestrone-soup/
This is my favorite recipe to make in the instant pot! So flavorful, comforting, and easy! I add a bay leaf, extra noodles, and I serve with crusty bread. It’s a hit!!
I made this in my Instant Pot Aura (first time using it) and thought I really messed up. I started sautéing the veggies no problem, but It doesnt have a soup button so I used the stew button instead and it came out beautifully. So many great flavors My friend came over to partake and she loved it. Thanks so much.
We loved this recipe….we added lean ground beef, peppers and corn to ours… it was absolutely delicious!!!
Made while the kids were napping and it was so easy and DELICIOUS! I added 3/4cups grated Parmesan to the whole batch at the end and it tasted incredible. Thanks for another way to sneak veggies into my toddlers!
This recipe is so good!…Definitely a keeper!
I use a 3 quart Instant Pot. Should I cut the portions in half?
Yes you will probably need to cut the recipe in half. I use a 6 QT and this soup is perfect for that size of IP. You just want to make sure that the ingredients don’t go past the max fill line in the IP (in whatever size you use).