This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice is an easy dinner recipe that is made in one pot on the stove. With only 6 simple ingredients like chicken, broccoli, rice, chicken broth, and cheddar cheese it can be on the table in just 30 minutes.
For more rice and broccoli dinner recipes be sure and try my slow cooker creamy chicken wild rice soup, this ham broccoli rice casserole, and broccoli cheese soup.
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Recipe
This one pot cheesy chicken broccoli rice is one of my family’s favorite quick & easy dinners! Simple to make with easy ingredients, and it’s very kid-friendly too! Very mild in flavor and full of melted cheddar cheese.
This dinner can be done and on the table in about 25 minutes so it’s perfect for a busy weeknight.
What You’ll Need
You only need 6 ingredients (plus salt & pepper) to make this one pot dinner recipe. Most of the ingredients are easy to keep on hand too.
- Olive Oil – I use extra light tasting virgin olive oil. Regular olive oil can have a very heavy flavor so I always stick to the lighter stuff.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts – You need 3 chicken breasts for this recipe. If they are very large, then only use 2.
- Salt & Pepper
- Rice – Use a long grain rice like basmati rice or long grain rice. I always use basmati rice because I think it turns out the best but regular long grain rice works too.
- Chicken Broth – It’s best to use regular, full-salt chicken broth for the best flavor but lower sodium chicken broth works as well if that’s what you prefer.
- Frozen Broccoli – Use microwaveable steamable broccoli. Cook in the microwave according to package directions and then chop up smaller if wanted.
- Cheddar Cheese
How To Make One Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice
Making this dinner recipe is very simple. With only a few minutes prep time most of the “work” is done while everything simmers together in the pot.
Cook Chicken : Add olive oil, chicken chunks, salt and pepper onto the skillet pan over medium-high heat. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink on the outside. It should be mostly done in the middle but no need to temp it as it will cook all the way while it’s simmering with the rice and broth.
Add Rice and Chicken Broth : Add the uncooked rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, cover with lid, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Broccoli and Cheese : Cook the microwave broccoli according to package instructions and chop up smaller if wanted. Shred the cheddar cheese. Add both of these into the cooked rice and chicken, and stir to combine all the cheesy goodness together. You can either add all the cheese at once OR add half when you stir in the broccoli and then the other half just sprinkle on top and let it melt.
Tips For Success
Here are a few of my easy tips that will hopefully help you make this recipe at home.
- Shred Your Own Cheese : My #1 tip for this recipe. Shredding the cheese from a block results in a smoother melted cheese. The shredded bagged cheese has a coating on it, which makes it not melt as smoothly when added to something.
- Use Microwave Steamable Frozen Broccoli : To make this recipe really quick to make, buy a bag of the frozen microwaveable broccoli. It cooks in the time that the rice is simmering and it requires no extra dishes or bowls.
- Cut The Chicken Into Small Pieces : Be sure and cut the chicken into small, bite-sized pieces. This way the chicken will cook in just a few minutes and then be small enough to finish cooking while the rice and chicken broth is boiling/simmering.
- Don’t Use Brown Rice : Brown rice needs more water and more simmering time, which can make the chicken overcooked and possibly lead to a watery skillet meal.
- Chicken Broth : For best flavor use the full-salt regular chicken broth. Yes, you could use low-sodium but you may need to add additional salt or other seasoning to the recipe.
There are a few ways to change up this recipe if wanted.
- Make It Spicy! : Use shredded pepper jack cheese. Add some chili powder or cayenne pepper in with the salt & pepper.
- Cheese : Add more or less cheese deepening on preference. Use any cheese you want to make it spicy or change the flavor slightly.
- Seasonings : We love this dish as is with the mild cheesy flavor but it can be adapted to what you prefer. Add additional seasonings with the salt & pepper like garlic powder or onion powder. Add a finely diced onion in with the chicken while it cooks. Add fresh garlic.
What Kind of Rice Do I Use?
Use a long grain rice for this recipe. I prefer to use basmati rice (which is an extra long grain rice) but you can use regular long grain rice as well.
I would not use brown rice or minute rice as they both have very different cooking instructions and water needs than what this recipe has.
What Kind of Cheese Is Best?
I think cheddar cheese is the best cheese to use for this one pot cheesy chicken broccoli rice. Cheddar cheese provides the best flavor but any cheese you prefer can be used.
I often use Colby Jack cheese or Pepper Jack cheese if you want some spice.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Yes, this recipe can be frozen!
Freeze in freezer safe Ziploc bags or containers for up to 3-4 months.
When ready to eat, thaw in fridge or add frozen contents into a pot (with a little water or broth) and heat up.
I don’t love the texture of rice once it’s frozen and then thawed so I personally don’t freeze this recipe, but it can be frozen for those who want.
More One Pot Easy Dinner Recipes
- Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls
- Turkey Chili Mac & Cheese
- Chicken Burrito Skillet
- Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
- Sausage Pepper & Rice Skillet
One Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into small, bite-sized pieces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice OR long-grain rice
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 bag (12 oz) frozen steamable broccoli (about 2 cups chopped broccoli)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a 12-inch skillet pan (make sure it has a lid) over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, chicken, salt, and pepper.Cook 4-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken is mostly non-pink in the middle. Chicken should be white on the outside. Drain the excess liquid and oil from the chicken.
- Add rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with lid, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is cooked.
- While rice and chicken is simmering, cook the microwaveable broccoli in the microwave following the instructions on package. Once done, chop up the broccoli into smaller pieces, if wanted.
- When rice is done cooking, add broccoli and 1 cup of the cheese into the skillet pan. Stir together. Top with the remaining 1 cup shredded cheese and cover with the lid. Let cook for about 2 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to see it! You can share it with me on @togetherasfamilyblog and follow on Pinterest @together-as-family-blog-recipes or Facebook @togetherasfamilyblog for more!
Did you love this recipe?
Make sure to comment below so we can chat about it! Or follow on your favorite social network for even more family recipes.
Hi! I did saute some onion and garlic before adding the chicken. I also added some other common spices. It took longer for my basmati to get tender but this was easy and delicious!!! Thank you!!
First I loved this easy and it is great
This actually worked great with left over rice. After topping with cheese, I stuck the iron skillet and it into the broiler and browned the top for extra texture! Family loved it. We left out the broccoli and just had peas on the sidede.
Just got done eating this for supper-BIG hit…delicious!
I was wondering if you can use cream of chicken soup in this recipe?
This particular recipe does not call for cream of chicken soup. I would imagine there are others recipes like this that do. Sorry I can’t help more.
I made some amendments to make this even easier. Instead of broth and rice, I kept the chicken juices in the pan, used half a bouillon cube and put in a packet of pre-cooked jasmine rice. Seriously a 10 minute meal. Perfect for a mom of 2 under 2!
I love this! Thank you for sharing.
Just made this and hubby loved it, I used bone broth and also added some onion. Big hit, thank you
You’re welcome! And thank YOU for taking the time to leave your feedback and comment. I appreciate it.
I added cream of chicken as well as a bag of mixed veggies and it was delicious!
I just Made this for my husband and we loved!!
Thank your for your comment!
Can you bake this?
You mean like a casserole? I guess you could but at that point it’s a pretty different recipe and you may just want to Google- ‘broccoli chicken rice casserole’
We used jasmine rice, chicken bone broth, fresh broccoli, cheddar cheese, and topped with crispy fried onions. Super easy, super delicious!
This recipe was SUCH a hit in my house! I love how quickly it comes together. Rather then shredding cheese, I used a couple of large spoonfuls of spreadable extra sharp cheddar cheese(Kaukana brand). It is creamy & melts beautifully. Thanks for the delicious recipe!
Too plain. Needs some spices & more flavor. Plus: easy
Feel free to add some extra seasonings and spices if that’s what you prefer 🙂 Thanks for leaving your feedback.
Would’ve been nice to see the note about draining the juice from the chicken in the recipe instead of at the bottom. I’m worried my rice will be mushy by the time the juice is all gone since I didn’t drain.
Great point, you’re right, I will move that up top where it’s seen easily in the recipe. Thank you and I hope it turned out ok.
great recipe! do you have nutrition facts?
I made this it was good! The rice took longer to cook. I added jalapeño mrs. dash and some minced garlic.
Great recipe!! I just added sour cream to make it more creamy.
I made this recipe tonight and I’m having a really hard time getting my rice to get tender. Is there an easier way to cook the rice?
It sounds like you may just not be letting it cook for long enough. If you find that the water is evaporated and the rice is still not tender, maybe try adding 2-3 tablespoons extra water/chicken broth and see if that helps. But usually, it just means that the lid is coming off early so the rice is not done within that cook time OR it could be that the stove is too high of heat. Maybe try turning it to a slightly lower heat. I hope that helps!
What is the serving size for this? Really yummy recipe and my 11 month old loved it.
I figured that it serves 6 people with each serving being 1 cup. My kids don’t eat nearly that much (they’re younger) so I can usually get about 8 servings from this recipe. But the calorie count is for 6 servings at the 1 cup each serving.
I cooked this tonight for me and my adult daughter. We loved it. I used up the cheese I had so was a mixture of mozzarella and cheddar, I also did add some garlic powder and chicken seasoning as others mentioned some pepping up was needed. It was lovely comfort food. Thank you ?
Really yummy recipe
First I loved this great and it is easy
I added a Ranch packet to coat the chicken when it was being cooked in the oil. Adds great flavor to the overall dish!
Yum! I love that idea.
Could this be made ahead and left in the fridge for a couple of days? Always looking for meals to make ahead for my kids in university
The leftovers do really well! My kids (or I) eat leftovers for lunch the next day, so yes I think you could make it ahead of time and then just reheat when you need it. Hope that helps 🙂
I like to use parboiled rice
I made this for the first time tonight and my boyfriend and I LOVED it! I added some cooked onions and a small amount of red pepper flakes for a little more flavor but the receipe was great! Will def make again!
My family loved this dish
I am so happy they loved it! Thanks for letting me know and for your rating of the recipe. I appreciate it.
I made this with a few adjustments based on what I had on hand? No broccoli, so I used a bag of mixed veggies & threw it right in frozen with the rice. I also like a lot of flavor so I added some original Mrs. Dash, onion powder, garlic powder and of course the salt & extra pepper. I had some sliced provolone that was about to expire so I chopped that up and once melted, I topped with a good bit of grated Parmesan. My family loved it! My Mexican husband, 14yo son, 2yo daughter and I all did! Such a quick easy dinner that was much needed tonight? Thank you! (I’ll try the original version sometime too) Wait! My superrrr picky FIL just tried it and he likes it too?
This meal is so quick to make! It is so tasty. We will be having it several times a month. Very good.
So very easy to prepare! Taste is really delicious! My husband jus in hog heaven!!
That’s an old Indiana saying……?
Thank you ……
Very quick and delicious!!
I make this recipe regularly! I was craving it today but only had mozzarella cheese and beef broth. Still turned out amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this quick and easy recipe.
Would using shredded rotisserie chicken work as well? Thank you!
Totally! Love that idea to use up shredded chicken.
this recipe definitely needs more spices added to it. ours turned out very bland, we ate ours with soy sauce.Sorry but I will not make it a second time
Sorry you didn’t like the recipe!
This recipe is easy & delicious. I used chedder & prpperjjack block cheeses.
Love the idea of adding pepper jack cheese! Thank you for your comment!