This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Roasted Red Potatoes bake in the oven with olive oil, parmesan cheese, and seasonings. Red potatoes roast to crispy perfection for a delicious side dish recipe.
ROASTED RED POTATOES
Roasted red potatoes are a classic side dish that are so simple to make! The outside gets so crispy and charred while the inside stays soft.
Red potatoes are the perfect potato to use when roasting potatoes in the oven. Combine them with parmesan cheese, olive oil, and seasonings and that’s it.
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED RED POTATOES
Red Potatoes – I prefer to use the petite baby red potatoes (they usually come in a small netted bag and are about 1.5 lbs per bag). They are small enough that you only to halve them, and each potato has skin on it! Which is important because the potato skin gets nice and toasty which results in the fabulous crunch. You can use regular red potatoes and leave them unpeeled, but only some of the pieces will have the skin on them. Which is fine but if you can use those petite red potatoes. Costco also sells a large bag of small baby potatoes in different colors, which I have used before, and they’re delicious.
Parmesan Cheese – The preferred parmesan cheese for this recipe (and what the recipe is tested with) is the cheap, grated parmesan cheese that comes in the can. You will find it in the pasta/spaghetti aisle at the grocery store. You can use fresh parmesan cheese but it does burn easily in the oven, which may affect the flavor and look of the potatoes.
Salt & Pepper – If you are more sensitive to salt or want to cut down then reduce the salt to 1/4 teaspoon. I prefer using kosher salt but if you are using table salt then maybe try 1/4 teaspoon as it is a stronger taste in recipes.
TRY THESE OTHER ROASTED VEGETABLE SIDE DISH RECIPES
- cinnamon maple roasted sweet potatoes
- oven roasted vegetables
- ranch roasted brussels sprouts
- garlic butter roasted potatoes and carrots
- honey butter creamy skillet corn
Roasted Red Potatoes
- 4 cups chopped/halved red potatoes 1 1/2 pounds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oven to 400°. Spray a cooking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add the chopped/halved red potatoes, olive oil, parmesan cheese, garlic salt, dried basil, dried parsley, salt, and pepper into a mixing bowl. Stir together until all the potatoes are coated.
- Spread the potatoes evenly onto the cookie sheet making sure that there are no potatoes that are overlapping. For the best roasted potatoes you want them spread out so all sides can crisp up.
- Cook for 30-35 minutes, stirring halfway through the cook time.
- ** The cook time may vary depending on the size of your potato chunks. Mine cook for 30 minutes and they are roughly 1-inch sized pieces. If you like the potatoes really crispy then cook for even longer depending on preference. ** When you stir the potatoes halfway through the cook time, use a spatula, and know that some potatoes may be stuck (slightly) to the cookie sheet, this is totally fine and they will come off with a spatula. It's just the parmesan cheese sticking. This is also why you need to stir them halfway through, so that all sides can crisp up, and so none are sticking to the pan for the whole cook time.