This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
This quick, easy, one pot Skillet Lasagna meal simplifies the Italian classic into a hassle-free dinner delight. All the classic lasagna flavors like marinara sauce, Italian sausage, lasagna noodles, and ricotta cheese but with a fraction of the work. It’s a simple 7 ingredient dinner idea for busy weeknights.
Easy Skillet Lasagna Recipe (One Pan Meal)
Make this comfort food classic, with all the flavors of traditional lasagna, with less work and minimal ingredients! This stove top skillet lasagna is the perfect dinner for any night of the week that the entire family can enjoy.
Loaded with lots of cheese, two kinds to be exact, ground sausage, marinara pasta sauce, and of course lasagna noodles – it’s ready for the dinner table with just one skillet pan and about 40 minutes.
Ingredients For Delicious Skillet Lasagna
- Mild Italian Sausage – Spicy sausage can also be used, or try using ground beef or ground turkey. If you are using ground beef or turkey, I highly recommend adding some Italian seasoning in with the ground meat while it’s cooking. Ground beef does not have the flavor that sausage has so it will need something to flavor it.
- Minced Garlic – Use chopped garlic from a jar, garlic paste, or use fresh garlic cloves
- Jarred Marinara Sauce (Pasta Sauce) – Use a classic flavor like tomato basil garlic.
- Vegetable Broth – Chicken broth or beef broth can also be used.
- Broken Lasagna Noodles – Use regular lasagna noodles that have been broken into smaller chunks.
- Creamy Ricotta Cheese
- Fresh Mozzarella Cheese – You want a log of mozzarella cheese (8 ounces) that you cut into slices. I have seen pre-sliced mozzarella log cheese that can be used as well. You will find this log cheese in the deli section with the other specialty cheeses.
- Chopped Fresh Basil – This is an optional garnish but it adds a ton of flavor and color.
How To Make Delicious Lasagna On The Stove Top (Full Recipe Card Below)
Cook and crumble the ground sausage and minced garlic in a large skillet pan, over medium-high heat, until the sausage is no longer pink. Drain the excess grease from the skillet pan.
Stir in the jar of pasta sauce and vegetable broth, and let it come to a boil.
Once boiling, add the broken lasagna noodles into the skillet pan. Stir gently to make sure all the noodles are covered in sauce. Cover with a lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let cook for 20-25 minutes or until the noodles are cooked to al dente, or softer depending on preference. Be sure and stir the noodles a few times during the cook time to ensure the noodles don’t stick to the bottom of the pan and to make sure the noodles are covered with sauce during the cook time.
Once the noodles are cooked and most the broth is absorbed, stir in the ricotta cheese until combined. Lay the mozzarella cheese slices over top and cover the pan with the lid. Turn off the heat and allow the pan to sit for 5 minutes so the cheese melts and softens, and the sauce can thicken.
Top with fresh basil and serve. Enjoy!
How To Store Leftovers
Any leftover stove top skillet lasagna should be stored in the refrigerator, inside an airtight container, for 3-4 days. When ready to enjoy, reheat individual portions in the microwave until heated through.
Are There Any Changes I Can Make To This Recipe?
This easy recipe is simple yet versatile and easily adapted to your preferences and needs. Here are a few ideas for changing the base recipe.
- Meat : You can change the meat choice in this recipe to get your desired flavor profile. If you like extra spice, hot Italian sausage will make the lasagna a bit bolder in favor. You can also avoid using pork by substituting ground chicken, ground turkey, or ground beef. Ground sausage is the preferred option to maintain the flavor in the dish; however, you can add flavor by adding 2 teaspoons of your favorite dried seasonings – Italian seasoning, basil, oregano, garlic powder, etc.
- Pasta Sauce : This lasagna works well with any pasta sauce! Switch things up by making an alfredo lasagna with alfredo sauce or use any variety/flavor of red marinara pasta sauce. Use a spicy pasta sauce or a meat pasta sauce – anything works!
- Add Veggies : This dish is a great way to add more vegetables to the meal. Chop up (small pieces) some squash, bell pepper, or mushrooms and add them in with the meat in the first step. Make sure you don’t use a vegetable that needs lots of time to cook. Use a softer vegetable that cooks fairly quickly.
- Cottage Cheese or Cream Cheese : If you don’t like ricotta cheese or just want to change it up, try using cottage cheese or about 6 ounces of cream cheese.
Tips For This Easy Lasagna Recipe
- Simmer Time Tips : Lift the lid off the skillet pan 2-3 times during the 25 minutes simmer cook time. This will ensure that the noodles don’t get stuck to the bottom of the pan and it allows everything to be mixed together which will help it cook more evenly.
- Spice It Up! : Use hot ground sausage and/or add some red cayenne pepper or red pepper chili flakes. Ground Italian sausage on it’s own has tons of flavor, which is why there are is no added dried seasonings, but you could certainly add whatever you like depending on taste and preference.
- Garlic : I use the minced chopped garlic from the jar but you can also use garlic paste (1 tablespoon) or chop fresh garlic cloves until you get 1 tablespoon of them (about 3-4 garlic cloves).
Try These Other Skillet Pan & One Pot Dinner Recipes
- One Pan Chicken Teriyaki
- Hamburger Mac and Cheese
- Apricot Chicken
- One Pan Easy Chicken Curry
- Cheesy Chicken Taco Rice
- One Pot Queso Chicken and Rice
- Easy Chili Mac
- One Pot Chicken and Noodles
- Homemade Hamburger Helper
Skillet Lasagna (Stove Top Lasagna Recipe)
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 jar (24 oz) tomato basil garlic pasta sauce
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 package (16 oz) lasagna noodles (NOT the no boil oven-ready)
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 log (8 oz) fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- fresh chopped basil optional garnish
- Cook and crumble the ground sausage and minced garlic in a large skillet pan, over medium-high heat, until the sausage is no longer pink. Drain the excess grease from the skillet pan.1 pound mild Italian sausage, 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Stir in the jar of pasta sauce and vegetable broth and let it come to a boil.1 jar (24 oz) tomato basil garlic pasta sauce, 2½ cups vegetable broth
- Once boiling, add the broken lasagna noodles into the skillet pan. Stir gently to make sure all the noodles are covered in sauce.1/2 package (16 oz) lasagna noodles
- Cover the skillet pan with a lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let cook for 20-25 minutes or until the noodles are cooked to al dente, or softer depending on preference. * Be sure and stir the noodles a few times during the cook time to ensure the noodles don't stick to the bottom of the pan and to make sure the noodles are covered with sauce during the cook time.
- Once the noodles are cooked to your preference and most the broth is absorbed, stir in the ricotta cheese until combined.3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- Lay the mozzarella cheese slices over top and cover the pan with the lid. Turn off the heat and allow the pan to sit for 5 minutes so the cheese melts and softens, and the sauce can thicken.1 log (8 oz) fresh mozzarella cheese
- Top with fresh chopped basil and serve. Enjoy!fresh chopped basil