This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Tasty, delicious, and so cheesy – you’re going to love this easy Chicken Taco Rice recipe that’s made all in one pot! Classic tex-mex flavors with taco seasoned chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes, rice, and cheese that simmers in a seasoned chicken broth.
Chicken Taco Rice Recipe (One Pot Recipe)
This one pot dinner recipe is loaded with all the Tex-Mex favorite ingredients like chicken thighs, corn, tomatoes, black beans, and taco seasoning.
Everything cooks in one pot – even the chicken and the rice! It’s a meal in one that’s perfect served alongside your favorite taco toppings like shredded lettuce, sour cream, pico de gallo, and guacamole.
Ingredients Needed For Chicken Taco Rice
- Olive Oil – I use extra virgin olive oil ‘light tasting’ for any recipe that calls for olive oil. It has a very mild taste to it compared to regular olive oil.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs – 1 pound of chicken thighs which is equal to about 2 pieces. You can also use chicken breasts if you prefer. The thighs are ideal in this recipe because they won’t dry out and they have more flavor.
- Finely Diced Onion – A white onion, yellow onion, or red onion will all work.
- Garlic Cloves – Use fresh garlic cloves that have been minced or pressed, use chopped garlic from a jar, or garlic paste.
- Taco Seasoning Packet – I use mild taco seasoning but any packet will work; spicy, cheesy, chicken, regular, etc.
- Chicken Broth
- Rotel – This is a specific brand of diced tomatoes w/ green chilies called Rotel. Even the mild version has a slight kick to it, which when combined with the other ingredients it just provides lots of taste and seasoning to the dish, nothing overly spicy.
- Mexicorn – This is canned corn with green peppers.
- Black Beans – Drained & Rinsed.
- Tomato Paste
- Uncooked White Rice – Not Minute Rice! Long-grain white rice, uncooked.
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese – Or use any cheese variety you prefer.
How To Make Cheesy Chicken Taco Rice In One Pot (Full Recipe Card Below)
In a large skillet pan (with a lid), over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, chicken pieces, and diced onion. Cook until the chicken is browned and almost cooked through (it needs to be mostly cooked through but does not have to be fully up to temperature), and the onions have softened. Add the garlic and taco seasoning and cook for an additional 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Stir in the chicken broth, Rotel, mexicorn, black beans, and tomato paste. Bring everything to a boil.
Once boiling, stir in the uncooked rice. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to medium-low or low heat. Let cook for 15 minutes.
Sprinkle the cheese over top and let it cook, uncovered, until the cheese is melted and the rice is tender.
Serve warm with your favorite toppings!
Changes & Substitution Ideas
- Cheese : Use any variety of cheese that you want! Monterey Jack is what I normally use in most tex-mex type dinners, but any kind will work – try cheddar, Pepper Jack, Colby jack, etc.
- Make It Spicy! : Add some chili powder, red cayenne pepper, or chipotle powder along with the other ingredient. You could also use a packet of spicy taco seasoning. Use a can of spicy heat level Rotel. Top the chicken taco rice with shredded Pepper Jack cheese. You could use sliced jalapeños as a garnish. Lots of ways to spice it up if wanted.
- Beans : Any canned bean works great in this recipe. Pinto beans, light red kidney beans, white navy beans, etc. Just make sure the beans are drained and rinsed.
- Corn : If you can’t find the mexicorn, use any type of canned corn instead. Southwestern corn, gold n’ white corn, white corn, or sweet yellow corn.
Serving Suggestions For Chicken Taco Rice
Because this is a one pot meal you really don’t have to serve it with anything! There is protein, vegetables, and a carb in this yummy dinner. But, I do love serving it with an assortment of taco toppings such as shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, and some sour cream.
My family likes to create bowls with this recipe. Place a scoop of the cheesy chicken taco rice into the bowl and then top it off with your favorite toppings. This recipe is essentially a chicken burrito bowl, but all cooked in one pot!
Recipe Tips For Success
- Do Not Use Minute Rice or Brown Rice : This recipe needs regular, uncooked white long-grain rice. Minute rice only needs minutes to cook, and the cook time on this recipe is 20 minutes which is needed for uncooked regular rice. Brown rice requires much different cooking like more water and more time. This recipe was specifically designed for white rice.
- Use PreCooked Chicken : You can use precooked chicken instead of raw chicken. Instead of cooking the raw chicken in the skillet pan with the onion and olive oil, simply cook the onion in the oil and then add the garlic along with the cooked chicken and let it cook for about 1 minute. Then continue with the recipe adding the other ingredients.
- Protein Options : Instead of diced chicken breast you can use 1 pound of ground turkey, ground beef or ground chicken. Cook and crumble it in the olive oil with the onion, add the garlic, and then continue on with the recipe.
- Cheese Tip : For the creamiest melt, and best texture and taste, shred cheese using a box cheese grater from a block of cheese. Of course, the bagged shredded cheese will work fine but I personally recommend shredding your own.
More One Pot Meals
- One Pot Queso Chicken and Rice
- Homemade Hamburger Helper
- One Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice
- Chicken and Noodles
- Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls
- One Pot Taco Pasta
- Chicken Burrito Skillet
- Skillet Cashew Chicken
Cheesy Chicken Taco Rice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2-3 thighs)
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 can (11 oz) mexicorn drained
- 1 can (10 oz) Rotel
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1½ cups long-grain white rice (uncooked)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Prep : Cut the chicken breasts into small, bite-sized chunks, about 1-inch in size.
- In a large skillet pan, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, chicken chunks, and onion. Cook until the chicken is mostly cooked through and browned, and the onions have softened. About 8-10 minutes.1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, 1 small onion
- Stir in the garlic and taco seasoning. Cook for an additional 30 seconds until very fragrant.2 cloves garlic, 1 packet taco seasoning
- Stir in the chicken broth, black beans, mexicorn, Rotel, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil.2½ cups chicken broth, 1 can (15 oz) black beans, 1 can (11 oz) mexicorn, 1 can (10 oz) Rotel, 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Once boiling, stir in the uncooked rice. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender and most the liquid has been absorbed.1½ cups long-grain white rice
- Sprinkle the cheese over top and let it cook for a few minutes or until the cheese is melted. * To speed this up, place the lid back on once you've added the cheese.2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings. Enjoy!