Queso Chicken Tacos are made in the slow cooker with only 4 ingredients! Shredded chicken that is fall apart tender and smothered in queso. Serve inside flour tortillas or crunchy tacos with all your favorite toppings.
QUESO CHICKEN TACOS
I will eat chicken tacos in just about any way I can get them. Especially if it's these queso chicken tacos! Shredded chicken cooks in a green chili chicken broth all day and it's smothered in queso. Top each taco with more queso and you pretty much have the perfect chicken tacos ever.
Chicken breasts seasoned with a packet of taco seasoning and then slow cooked in chicken broth and diced green chilies. The chicken quite literally falls apart after the cook time. Smother the shredded chicken in some store bought queso and it's ready to go.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR QUESO CHICKEN TACOS IN THE SLOW COOKER
Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast - I always use this cut of chicken because it's lean and ready to go. Plus, you don't have to worry about bones or greasy skin. But you could always use chicken thighs as a good alternative if that's what you're used to working with.
Taco Seasoning - I always just use a packet of taco seasoning to make things easier but feel free to use homemade taco seasoning. One packet is equal to about 3 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning.
Chicken Broth - One can of reduced-sodium chicken broth is all you need! I would highly suggest following the recipe and using the reduced-sodium. The taco seasoning has sodium plus the jarred queso will also have it. I worry that using the regular chicken broth will make the tacos too salty.
Diced Green Chilies - One small can is needed for this recipe. I always use the mild version but you can also use the medium or hot canned diced green chilies if you're wanting more spice in the chicken. Or use a large can of diced green chilies for some more heat.
Queso - The queso comes in a glass jar usually and can be found in the chip aisle or usually by the Mexican food, like tortillas, refried beans, and salsas. Pick one you love! I use a Monterey Jack Queso by On The Border brand. Be sure and check the heat of the queso. Use mild if serving kids and if you're wanting more spice then look for a hot queso. You can use queso or salsa con queso. Same thing but one has salsa in it as well.
TRY THESE OTHER TACO RECIPES
- Honey Lime Salsa Verde Ranch Chicken Tacos - Honey, fresh lime, salsa verde, and ranch seasoning make the best chicken tacos ever. These are probably tied with the queso chicken tacos as my favorite.
- Salsa Verde Ground Beef Tacos - Ground beef cooks with seasonings and salsa verde for an easy one pan recipe. Load these tacos up with all your favorites.
- Easy Chicken Street Tacos - An easy recipe for chicken street tacos! You'll love this one.
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos - Shredded beef is fall apart tender in the slow cooker. Makes for the perfect beef tacos.
- Easy Fish Tacos - These really are easy with frozen fish sticks and a homemade creamy slaw.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Tacos - Chicken breasts cook in enchilada sauce and seasonings until it's fall apart tender. We love these as crunchy tacos and topped with all our favorites.
Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2-3 pounds)
- 1 packet mild taco seasoning
- 1 can (14.5 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
- 1 jar (15.5 oz) Queso OR Salsa Con Queso
- flour tortillas or corn tortillas
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Queso (leftovers from jar)
- diced tomatoes
- avocado, lime wedges, chopped cilantro, etc.
- Spray insert of slow cooker with cooking spray. Lay chicken breasts in the bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle taco seasoning over the chicken and rub it into the chicken making sure it's coated well. (This will help prevent the chicken broth from just washing off the seasoning from the chicken.)
- Add can of chicken broth and can of diced green chilies into the slow cooker. Cover with lid and cook on LOW heat for 6-8 hours.
- Take chicken out and place on a plate. Shred with two forks. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid from the crock pot (set aside) and discard the rest of the cooking liquid.
- Add shredded chicken into the slow cooker insert along with 1 cup of the queso. Stir together using the reserved cooking liquid as needed to get it nice and creamy. I end up using about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, but use as much or little as you want. You can also use more or less queso as wanted.
- Serve queso chicken inside flour tortillas or crunchy tacos with all your favorite toppings. We love using the leftover queso for drizzling on top of the tacos.