Chicken Tacos made in the slow cooker with only 4 ingredients! Shredded chicken with queso, inside a flour tortillas with all the toppings you love. These queso chicken tacos are so easy and full of creamy queso flavor.
Chicken tacos seems to be like a universal love language. Like who doesn’t love chicken tacos or tacos in general? 🙂
Today’s version is an easy queso chicken taco meat that’s made right in the slow cooker with only 4 ingredients.
Chicken breasts seasoned with a packet of taco seasoning and then slow cooked in chicken broth and diced green chilies. The chicken quite literally falls apart after the cook time. Smother the shredded chicken in some store bought queso and it’s ready.
Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast – I always use this cut of chicken because it’s lean and ready to go. Plus, you don’t have to worry about bones or greasy skin. But you could always use chicken thighs as a good alternative.
Taco Seasoning – I always just use a packet of taco seasoning to make things easier but feel free to use homemade taco seasoning. One packet is equal to about 3 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning.
Chicken Broth – One can of reduced-sodium chicken broth is all you need! I would highly suggest following the recipe and using the reduced-sodium. The taco seasoning has sodium plus the jarred queso will also have it. I worry that using the regular chicken broth will make the tacos too salty.
Diced Green Chilies – One small jar is needed for this recipe. I always use the mild version but you can also use the medium or hot canned diced green chilies if you’re wanting more spice in the chicken.
Queso – The queso comes in a glass jar usually and can be found in the chip aisle or usually by the Mexican food, like tortillas, refried beans, and salsas. Pick one you love! I use a Monterey Jack Queso by On The Border brand. Be sure and check the heat of the queso. Use mild if serving kids and if you’re wanting more spice then look for a hot queso. You can use queso or salsa con queso. Same thing but one has salsa in it as well.
TRY THESE OTHER MEXICAN FOOD INSPIRED RECIPES
- Green Chili & Corn Chicken Enchiladas – Together as Family
- Burrito Lasagna – Together as Family
- Salsa Verde Ground Beef Tacos – Together as Family
- Easy Chicken Street Tacos – Six Sisters Stuff
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos – I Heart Naptime
Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2-3 pounds)
- 1 packet mild taco seasoning (or taco seasoning of choice)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
- 1 jar (15.5 oz) Queso OR Salsa Con Queso
- flour tortillas or corn tortillas
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Queso (leftovers from jar)
- diced tomatoes
- avocado, lime wedges, chopped cilantro, etc.
- Spray insert of slow cooker with cooking spray. Lay chicken breasts in the bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle taco seasoning over the chicken and rub it into the chicken making sure it's coated well. (This will help prevent the chicken broth from just washing off the seasoning from the chicken.)
- Add can of chicken broth and can of diced green chilies into the slow cooker. Cover with lid and cook on LOW heat for 6-8 hours.
- Take chicken out and place on a plate. Shred with two forks. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid from the crock pot (set aside) and discard the rest of the cooking liquid.
- Add shredded chicken into the slow cooker insert along with 1 cup of the queso. Stir together using the reserved cooking liquid as needed to get it nice and creamy. I end up using about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, but use as much or little as you want. You can also use more or less queso as wanted.
- Serve queso chicken with tortillas of choice and all your favorite toppings. We love using the leftover queso for drizzling on top of the tacos.
Enjoy friends ♥
PIN THIS RECIPE TO PINTEREST