One pot, simple ingredients, and 30 minutes is all you need to make this delicious taco pasta that is filled with lots of cheese, ground beef, salsa, taco seasoning, and pasta noodles.
I just love one pot recipes because everything cooks in one pan including the meat and the pasta. I always have some pasta noodles on hand and salsa (chips & salsa is my kids' favorite snack) so whenever I have some ground beef that I don't know what to do with, I make this taco pasta because it's always a hit.
WHAT INGREDINTS DO I NEED TO MAKE TACO PASTA?
- Ground Beef - I always use lean 93/7 ground beef. You drain the grease anyways after cooking so you can use whatever ground beef you want.
- Salt, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Cumin - These are the dried spices for the ground beef.
- Water - I have tried using chicken broth or beef broth and it's way too salty so trust me on the water.
- Mild Taco Seasoning - If you want a kick then use hot taco seasoning or regular taco seasoning. I prefer mild because it's just right for kids to eat without all the spicy flavors of regular taco seasoning. You could also use reduced-sodium taco seasoning if you are trying to cut sodium.
- Rotini Pasta Noodles - Do not cook these before adding them into the pot. They will cook in the pot during the 15 minute cook time. You could try using another similar sized pasta but I prefer the rotini in this recipe.
- Shredded Cheese - I use Colby Jack cheese but feel free to use whatever you want. Pepper Jack cheese for a kick would be yummy or plain cheddar cheese would be good too.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY TACO PASTA IN ONE POT
- Brown ground beef with the salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin in a skillet pan (with a lid) over medium high heat. Cook and crumble the ground beef as you cook it. Once it's no longer pink drain the excess grease.
- Add the water, salsa, taco seasoning, and dried pasta noodles. Bring to a boil. Once boiling cover with the lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir to combine it all together.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings (sour cream, chopped tomato, olives, avocado slices, etc)
TRY THESE OTHER ONE POT DINNER RECIPES
One Pot Cheesy Broccoli & Rice - This could not be easier to make! Fresh broccoli, chunks of chicken, and rice cook in chicken broth. Add some cheese and dinner is ready.
One Pot Pizza Pasta - Pasta with a pepperoni pizza twist!
Turkey Taco Pasta Skillet - Ground turkey taco pasta cooks in one pan. If you prefer ground turkey then you will love this recipe.
Chicken Burrito Skillet - Everything you love about chicken burritos but made in one skillet pan. Chunks of chicken, tomatoes, black beans, and rice make this a delicious twist to chicken burritos. Top with your favorite taco toppings.
Beef Taco Pasta Skillet - Ground beef taco flavors with pasta made in one skillet pan.
One Pot Taco Pasta
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rotini pasta noodles
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 packet (1 oz) mild taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded cheese more or less to taste
- In a skillet pan, over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef with the onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and salt. Cook and crumble until the beef is no longer pink. Drain.* Use a large skillet pan or pot with high sides and one with a lid.
- Add the dry pasta noodles, water, salsa, and taco seasoning packet. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and cover the pot with the lid. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir until it's combined and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings. We like to top ours with sour cream, cilantro, and chopped tomatoes.