This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
No Bake Banana Cream Pie has three layers of banana cream pudding, cheesecake layer, and cheesecake whipped topping inside a shortbread crust. This no bake pie takes just minutes to prepare and it’s the best banana cream pie because it has no brown mushy bananas in it! Perfect pie for your Thanksgiving dessert table.
No Bake Banana Cream Pie Recipe (Banana Pudding Pie)
No bake banana cream pie is a delicious dessert that tastes just like classic banana pudding in pie form with three creamy and fluffy layers of banana cream filling, and a vanilla wafer crust or cookie crust. The best part is no brown and mushy bananas in this easy recipe! You get all the banana cream flavor without the weird soggy texture of the banana slices.
This no bake dessert is simple to make with three layers including a creamy pudding mixture, a whipped cream cheese pudding layer, and then the top of the pie is finished off with more cheesecake whipped cream. Each layer gets progressively lighter in color so it makes for a really pretty layered presentation. It’s my favorite dessert for the Thanksgiving dessert table and I feel like Thanksgiving is just not complete without it!
Simple Ingredients Needed To Make This No Bake Pie Recipe
- Ready-Crust : These are the ready-to-use crusts that you will find in the baking aisle at the grocery store. You can either use a shortbread crust, Nilla wafer crust, or a graham cracker crust. I have seen all of these varieties at my local store but it could vary depending on what store you shop at. You can always make your own crust as well. Simply combine 1 cup + 3/4 cup of finely crushed cookie crumbs (Nilla wafers or shortbread cookies) plus 5 tablespoons melted butter. Press this into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Instant Banana Cream Pudding Mix : Two small boxes of instant banana pudding mix is what the recipe calls for. Don’t follow the directions on the back of the boxes, stick with the recipe listed below.
- Half and Half : No substitutes for this! You need the fat and thickness from the half and half.
- Cream Cheese
- Granulated Sugar : Powdered sugar can be used but you will need to use 1/2 cup of it.
- Cool Whip
How To Make This Delicious Banana Pudding Pie (Printable Recipe Card Below)
In a mixing bowl whisk together the half and half and dry banana cream pudding mixes until combined well and it starts to thicken. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes so it can thicken up even more.
Layer 1 : Spread 1.5 cups of the pudding mixture into the prepared crust and smooth it out into an even layer. Set the remaining pudding to the side for later.
In a separate mixing bowl, add the softened cream cheese and granulated sugar. Beat with an electric hand mixer until combined, creamy, and it’s a smooth mixture with no cream cheese lumps in it. Stir in the Cool Whip with a spatula just until combined.
Layer 2 : Add half of the cream cheese/cool whip mixture into the remaining pudding (set aside from earlier) and stir together until combined well. Spray this into the pie crust as the second layer over the first layer of pudding. Smooth out the top.
Layer 3 : Spread the remaining half of the Cool Whip & cream cheese mixture on top as the 3rd layer. Smooth out evenly.
Cover the pie with the enclosed plastic lid from the ready-crust, or cover with plastic wrap or a lid. Refrigerate for at least 6-8 hours, or overnight is even better, before garnishing and slicing.
When ready to serve, decorate the top with additional whipped cream (homemade or spray can from the store), mini Nilla wafer cookies, and/or fresh banana slices. Or serve the pie as is and it’s still amazing! Enjoy!
Can I Add Fresh Bananas?
Add a layer of fresh banana slices in between each layer or just one layer. I recommend slicing the bananas and then letting them sit in some lemon juice (fresh lemon juice or bottled lemon juice) to help prevent the bananas from browning too quickly.
I actually like this version of banana cream pie because there are no brown & mushy bananas in it. You get plenty of banana flavor without the mushy, brown, gooey part of the actual banana. But if you want that classic fresh banana flavor, then go ahead of add a layer of banana slices.
Can I Replace The Cool Whip With Homemade Whipped Cream?
Yes you can! To replace the 8 ounces of Cool Whip with homemade you will need to add 1.5 cups heavy whipping cream + 1/2 cup powdered sugar into a mixing bowl. Use an electric hand mixer, or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, to beat until stiff peaks form. This takes about 3-5 minutes. Use this in place of the 8 ounces of Cool Whip that the recipe calls for.
This pie is yummy served as is or there are several options to garnish it and make it really pretty for serving. Here are some ideas.
- Use a spray can of whipped cream to garnish each slice with along with some crushed Nilla wafers on top.
- Make homemade whipped cream and put it inside a piping bag with a large 1A tip. Pipe it along the edges of the pie. Garnish with fresh banana slices and/or mini Nilla wafer cookies or crumbs.
- Whatever pie crust you use, I love crushing up some of that same thing (like graham crackers, shortbread cookies, or Nilla wafer cookies) and adding it onto the top of the pie along with some whipped cream.
How To Make A Homemade Cookie Crust For A Pie
If you can’t find the ready-crust cracker crusts then you can always make your own. You will need a 9-inch pie plate, crushed cookies of choice or graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and possibly granulated sugar if needed for sweetness.
You need 1 cup + 3/4 cup of finely crushed cookie crumbs or graham cracker crumbs. Mix that with 5 tablespoons melted butter until it resembles a wet sand mixture. If using graham crackers you. may need to add 2-3 tablespoons of granulated sugar deepening on the sweetness level you want. I find that the cookies are sweet enough that they don’t need the added sugar in the crust.
Firmly press the mixture into the pie plate and let it freeze for 15 minutes (or refrigerate for 30 minutes) while you prepare the pudding filling. Some cookie ideas for the crust are graham crackers, golden Oreo cookies, shortbread cookies, Nilla wafer cookies, or another cookie of choice.
How To Store Leftovers
Leftover banana cream pie can be stored inside the pie plate or ready-crust, covered in plastic wrap or the enclosed lid, for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator. You can also store individual slices in an airtight container. The pie actually is just as good on day 3 and 4, so leftovers are always the best part of this recipe!
Tips For Making No Bake Banana Pudding Pie With Instant Pudding Mix
- Food Processor : If making your own cookie crust it’s best to use a food processor to crush the cookies or graham crackers into really fine crumbs. A food chopper also works or place the cookies inside a Ziploc bag and use a meat pounder, rolling pin, or something else that is heavy to crush the cookies into fine crumbs.
- Instant Vanilla Pudding : For a different flavor you can try using one box of vanilla instant pudding mix + one box of banana cream pudding mix.
- Chill Time : Fridge time for no bake pies is essential in order to get that really thick texture so it cuts nicely. No bake pies are best when made the day before and then refrigerated overnight; that is what I recommend doing. Make it the day before so you have one less thing to do the day you are serving. Perfect for holidays or gatherings where you want to get stuff done ahead of time.
Try These Other Banana Dessert Recipes
- Amazing Banana Bread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Banana Pumpkin Bread
- Banana Upside Down Cake
- No Bake Banana Pudding Cheesecake
- No Bake Banana Split Icebox Cake
No Bake Banana Cream Pie
- 1 (6 oz) ready-crust (shortbread, Nilla wafer, or graham cracker)
- 2 boxes (3.4 oz each) banana cream instant pudding
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces Cool Whip thawed
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry banana cream instant pudding mixes and the half & half until combined well and it starts to thicken. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes so it can thicken up even more.2 boxes (3.4 oz each) banana cream instant pudding, 2 cups half and half
- Layer 1 : Spread 1½ cups of the pudding mixture into the prepared crust and smooth it out into an even layer. Set the remaining pudding to the side for later.1 (6 oz) ready-crust
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the softened cream cheese and granulated sugar. Beat with an electric hand mixer until combined, creamy, and it's a smooth mixture with no cream cheese lumps in it. Stir in the Cool Whip with a spatula just until combined.1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 8 ounces Cool Whip
- Layer 2 : Add half of the cream cheese/cool whip mixture into the remaining pudding (set aside from earlier) and stir together until combined well. Spread this into the pie crust as the second layer over the first layer of pudding. Smooth out the top.
- Layer 3 : Spread the remaining half of the cream cheese/cool whip mixture on top as the 3rd layer. Smooth out evenly.
- Cover the pie with the enclosed plastic lid from the ready-crust, or cover with plastic wrap or a lid. Refrigerate for at least 6-8 hours, or overnight is even better.
- Right before serving decorate the top of the pie with additional whipped cream (homemade or spray can from the store), mini Nilla wafer cookies, and/or fresh banana slices. Or serve the pie as is and it's still amazing! Enjoy!