MEXICAN LASAGNA RECIPE
If you want a delicious twist to classic lasagna then try my recipe for Mexican lasagna! Layers of flour tortillas, cheese, and a creamy chicken mixture of black beans, sour cream, corn, salsa verde, and seasonings.
My family loves to top this with shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, and sour cream. But you can top it with whatever you want or eat it as is.
I am always looking for recipes that I can use leftover chicken in or a rotisserie chicken and this Mexican lasagna is perfect for that. If you want a ground beef version then try my beef burrito lasagna recipe too.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE MEXICAN LASAGNA
Cooked Chicken - This can be shredded or chunked chicken. Use leftover chicken, a rotisserie chicken, or my favorite way is to throw some chicken breasts (frozen is fine) into the slow cooker with a can of chicken broth. Cook on LOW heat for 7 hours. I love doing this because by the time the chicken is done, it's time to make dinner so I just shred it up with two forks and use it in the recipe.
Sour Cream - You need an entire 16 oz container of sour cream. For the best flavor use the real stuff but you can substitute with the light sour cream if wanted.
Salsa Verde - This is also called green salsa. You will find it by the other jarred salsas in the grocery store. Be sure to check the spice level because some are labeled as 'hot' while others are 'medium' or 'mild'.
Garlic Powder, Cumin, Chili Powder, Salt
Flour Tortillas - You want the soft taco sized tortillas. They are about 8"-9" in diameter. One pack of 10 is all you will need.
Shredded Cheese - I use Colby Jack cheese but feel free to use whatever you like.
MY TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
Can I make this Mexican lasagna spicy?
- The recipe as is, is pretty spicy flavorful but not so spicy that kids could not eat it. If you want it spicy then use Pepper Jack Cheese, top with chopped jalapenos, throw in a can of diced green chilies with the chicken mixture, or use some cayenne pepper with the other spices. Lots of options to make it spicy.
Can Mexican lasagna be frozen?
- Yes it can! Prepare as directed but do not cook it. Instead, wrap it tightly in tin foil or double layer with plastic wrap first and then wrap tight with tin foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. I would suggest thawing it completely before cooking it. You can also make two 8x8 inch casseroles instead of one 9x13 casserole. Eat one and then freeze the other.
Can I substitute corn tortillas in the recipe?
- Yes, if you like corn tortillas then use those. My family hates them so I never ever use them. But they will work just fine in this recipe. You will need more than 10 because they are smaller than the flour tortillas.
What do I serve with Mexican lasagna?
TRY THESE OTHER DINNER RECIPES
Cream Cheese Lasagna - Our favorite lasagna! Ground beef simmers in an easy sauce and then it's layered with lasagna noodles, cheese, and the star ingredient that makes it so yummy, cream cheese!
Slow Cooker Creamy Fiesta Chicken - An easy dump & go crockpot recipe that even does well with frozen chicken. Serve over rice for a delicious, yummy dinner.
Chicken Fiesta Casserole - An easy casserole that mixes up all together and bakes in a 9x13 baking dish. Pasta, chicken, beans, cheese, and salsa make for an easy dinner.
One Pan Chicken Fajita Bake - Chicken breasts, sliced bell peppers, and onion are seasoned with a homemade fajita seasoning and the baked in one pan. Serve over rice or eat it as is. A fun twist to classic fajitas.
- 3 cups cooked chicken shredded or chopped
- 1 container (16 oz) sour cream
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans drained & rinsed
- 1¼ cup salsa verde divided
- 1½ cups frozen corn
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 10 soft taco size flour tortillas cut in half
- 2-3 cups shredded cheese
- Heat oven to 350°. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and spread ¼ cup of the salsa verde on the bottom.
- In a large mixing bowl combine chicken, sour cream, black beans, 1 cup salsa verde, frozen corn, cilantro, and spices. Stir together and mix well.
- Make sure each tortilla is cut in half so you have 20 tortilla pieces.
- 1st layer : Lay 4 tortilla pieces on top of the salsa verde in the baking dish. Spread ⅓ of the chicken mixture over the tortillas. Sprinkle ⅓ of the shredded cheese over the chicken.
- 2nd layer : Lay 4 tortillas (sometimes I use 5 so I can cover the middle up too). Spread a ⅓ of the chicken mixture over the tortillas. Sprinkle with a ⅓ of the cheese.
- 3rd layer (this one is a bit different) : Lay 4 tortillas. Spread the remaining chicken mixture over the tortillas. Now, instead of the cheese lay 4 more tortillas over the chicken and then top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.* If the cheese is getting too browned for your liking then loosely lay a piece of tin foil over the baking dish for the last 10 minutes of bake time.
- Serve with all your favorite toppings. We love shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, and sour cream.