These chicken mexican haystacks are a play on tradition haystacks and have a fun tex-mex twist thanks to the corn chips, beans, corn, and creamy chicken sauce. A fun family dinner where everyone can make their own. Plus, it’s made in the slow cooker so dinner can be ready when you need it.
One of my family’s favorite dinner are these hawaiian haystacks. If you don’t know what a ‘haystack’ is, it’s basically a base of rice that is piled high with a variety of toppings and then it’s all covered in a creamy chicken gravy. They are fantastic and a fun dinner cause everyone can create their own just how they like it.
These chicken Mexican haystacks are the same idea. A base of rice and corn chips (aka- the secret ingredient), piled with a creamy chicken tex-mex mixture that cooks in the slow cooker, and then you load it up with the toppings of your choice. You could do lettuce, chopped tomato, pico de gallo, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, jalapeno, olives, avocado slices, or guacamole. So many options.
The creamy chicken mixture gets cooked in the slow cooker all day. When dinner is ready simply shred the chicken in the slow cooker and lay out all your toppings buffet style. I put some cooked rice in a bowl; either white rice, brown rice, or this cilantro lime rice is a really good base for these too. Don’t forget the Fritos corn chips! Set out whatever taco toppings you like and let everyone make their own haystack.
I hope you love this one as much as my family does!
These chicken mexican haystacks are a play on tradition haystacks and have a fun tex-mex twist thanks to the corn chips, beans, corn, and creamy chicken sauce. A fun family dinner where everyone can make their own. Plus, it's made in the slow cooker so dinner can be ready when you need it.
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (14.75 oz) chicken broth
- 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chilies
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 small sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 1 packet ranch seasoning mix
- 1 packet chicken taco seasoning
- corn chips
- cooked white or brown rice
- taco toppings of your choice (shredded lettuce, cheese, tomato, avocado, olives, etc)
- Put chicken breasts into the slow cooker. Add the beans, tomatoes, and corn.
- In a blender combine all ingredients for the creamy sauce and blend until smooth and combined.
- Pour into the slow cooker and mix everything together. Cover with lid and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender and can easily shred.
- Shred chicken and add back into the slow cooker. Serve with rice, Fritos corn chips, and toppings of your choice. You can also keep this on the warm setting until ready to serve.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST