This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice is an easy rice side dish that is a dump and go Instant Pot recipe. Long grain rice, chicken broth, oil, water, lime, and cilantro are all you need for this perfectly fluffy cilantro lime rice.
INSTANT POT CILANTRO LIME RICE
This instant pot cilantro lime rice is a quick & easy side dish and it’s also a dump and go recipe. Which means you add all the ingredients into the insert of the pressure cooker and that’s it! A totally hands off side dish recipe that is perfect served with chicken enchiladas, these creamy ranch salsa verde chicken tacos, inside taco bowls, or in burritos.
Instant Pot recipes can be intimidating because of that dreaded ‘burn’ error. But with this recipe you don’t even have to worry about it! Simple to make and it’s a no fail pressure cooker recipe that works each time.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE INSTANT POT CILANTRO LIME RICE
- You need one can for this recipe. I would suggest using the full-salt chicken broth because the plain rice needs that extra flavor and salt. You can use reduced-sodium with great results but the end result is not as flavorful. You can always add some salt if you feel like it needs it.
Long Grain White Rice
- I have only ever made this recipe with long grain white rice. If you choose to use brown rice you will just have to experiment as brown rice needs more water and more time to cook properly. do not even try to use Instant Rice as the cook time and preparation is completely different.
Canola or Vegetable Oil
- This is probably the “secret ingredient” that makes the rice turn out amazing. The oil helps the rice from sticking and getting clumpy while it cooks.
Fresh Lime Zest & Lime Juice
- You will need 2 limes for this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE CILANTRO LIME RICE IN THE INSTANT POT
1. You will start by adding in the chicken broth, water, oil, and long grain rice. Stir it all together.
2. Cover with the lid and make sure the valve is set to the ‘sealing’ position.
3. Do a manual cook for 12 minutes OR you can do the rice button on the Instant Pot but make sure that the time is 12 minutes.
4. Once the 12 minutes is up let it natural release for 5 minutes. A natural release means that you just let it sit there for 5 minutes. Don’t move the valve or anything. The timer on the Instant Pot will count up to 5 minutes for you.
5. Release the remaining pressure. Fluff the rice with a fork.
6. Add in some fresh lime juice, lime zest, and chopped cilantro. Serve!
TIPS & HELPFUL HINTS FOR MAKING INSTANT POT CILANTRO LIME RICE
Can I use brown rice?
- I have never made this recipe with brown rice so I don’t know. With that said you are more than welcome to try it but just know that brown rice needs more water and a longer cook time. So adapt the recipe according to the preparation instruction of brown rice.
How do I zest a lime?
- It’s easiest to use a citrus zester to zest a lime. You also want to make sure that you are only zesting the very most outer layer of the lime skin. Any deeper than the green skin and it becomes really bitter.
- You can also use the fine side of a cheese grater if you don’t have a lime zester.
Natural Pressure Release
- Make sure that you don’t forget the 5 minute natural pressure release at the end of the cook time.
- A natural pressure release is where you don’t touch the sealed valve and instead you let it sit there for 5 minutes before forcing the pressure to release (by releasing the sealed valve). The timer on the Instant Pot will count up to 5 minutes as it sits there after the cook time.
- At the 5 minute mark move the valve from the sealed position and let the steam and pressure release.
Do I need to add salt?
- I never add salt in this recipe but I also use the full salt chicken broth.
- If you use reduced-sodium chicken broth then you may want to add some salt depending on preference.
How do I serve cilantro lime rice?
TRY THESE OTHER RICE SIDE DISH RECIPES
Instant Pot Mexican Rice – Mexican rice made right in the Instant Pot.
Easy Mexican Rice – This easy Mexican rice recipe uses salsa which gives tons of easy flavor.
Sour Cream Rice – A deliciously creamy rice casserole with cheese, sour cream, green chilies, and corn.
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- zest & juice of 1 lime (about 1 large lime)
- Add chicken broth, water, oil, lime juice, and long-grain rice into the insert of the Instant Pot. Stir.
- Cover with the lid making sure the valve is in the 'sealed' position. Do a manual cook for 12 minutes.
- Once cook time is done leave the rice in the Instant Pot for 5 minutes. Which means don't take off the lid and don't release the sealed valve. Just let it sit there for 5 minutes once the cook time is done. Do a quick release (move the valve from the sealing position) for the remaining pressure. Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Add chopped cilantro, lime zest, lime juice and stir together to combine. Transfer rice to a serving bowl and serve!