This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Cowboy Salsa is a fresh and delicious salsa dip with two kinds of beans, avocado, corn, tomatoes, red onion, and cilantro with a simple olive oil and lime juice dressing. Serve with chips as a dip, on top of grilled chicken, or just eat it with a spoon as a salad.
COWBOY SALSA RECIPE
This cowboy salsa has been a family favorite for years. It’s my go-to for gatherings or get togethers with friends & family. Sometimes it’s also called cowboy caviar.
It’s a fresh dip with pinto beans, black beans, tomatoes, corn, avocados, cilantro, and red onion covered in a simple olive oil and lime juice dressing. I prefer to serve this with tortilla chips as a dip but it’s also great on top of grilled chicken, as a topping for tacos, or serve it as a side dish salad.
We also love this avocado black bean salad, fiesta avocado salad, and this cowboy caviar pasta salad.
HOW TO MAKE COWBOY SALSA
Black Beans & Pinto Beans – Make sure these are drained and rinsed well so you don’t have extra water in the salsa.
Gold n’ White Corn – I love the yellow corn + white corn mix but feel free to use a can of yellow corn or a can of white corn.
Roma Tomatoes – You will need about 5 Roma tomatoes for this salsa recipe. You could also use grape or cherry tomatoes that have been halved if wanted. I prefer to use Roma tomatoes because then I can cut them small in shape so that they match the size of the beans and avocado chunks.
Salt, Cumin, Garlic Powder
MY TIPS & HELPFUL HINTS
How do I serve cowboy salsa?
- There are many ways to serve cowboy salsa. I prefer to serve it as a dip with some tortilla chips. It’s great to take to gatherings and get togethers.
- You could serve it over grilled chicken.
- Serve it as a taco topping, inside burritos, or as a topping for nachos.
- Serve it as a side dish salad and eat it with a spoon.
Can I use different beans?
- Yes you can! That’s the great thing about this recipe is that you can easily substitute with different things. Use any bean you want as long as it’s two cans worth. Navy beans are another great option, you can also use two cans of the same bean, use kidney beans, etc.
How long will cowboy salsa last in the fridge?
- This cowboy salsa is best eaten within a few hours of making it. I always serve it right away to avoid the avocados from browning.
- If you don’t want to serve it right away then the salsa can sit in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 1-2 days but the avocado will turn brown.
How can I make cowboy salsa spicy?
- The recipe as is, is not spicy and great for kids even. If you want more spice then there are several things you can do.
- Add a chopped jalapeño. Keep the seeds in for more heat or remove the seeds for less heat.
- Add some cayenne pepper and/or chili powder into the dressing.
TRY THESE OTHER SALSA & DIP RECIPES
Honey Lime Bean Salsa – A fresh bean salsa with bell peppers, jalapeños, avocados, and corn covered in a sweet honey lime juice dressing.
Warm Bean Dip – I have made this so many times! Baked in the oven and it’s the best cheesy bean dip ever.
Black Bean Corn Salsa – Simple ingredients and it’s quick to make! Perfect with tortilla chips or Fritos to dip with.
Cucumber Salsa – A unique salsa with fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, cilantro, and red onion with a creamy sour cream dressing.
Avocado Dip – Lots of avocados, corn, and salsa verde make this dip so yummy. If you love avocado then you will love this dip.
Greek Dip Recipe – If you love those Greek flavors like olives and feta cheese then this is a must try. I love to serve this with pita chips and baguette bread slices.
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans drained & rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) gold n' white corn drained
- 3 avocados chopped
- 1½ cups chopped roma tomatoes
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 large limes)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients into a large mixing bowl, or the serving bowl you are using, and stir together until well combined.
- This is best served right away. You could keep it in the fridge for up to 2 hours before serving if needed.
- If you have leftover salsa you can store it covered in the fridge for 1-2 days. The avocados will brown so it's best eaten right away.
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to see it! You can share it with me on @togetherasfamilyblog and follow on Pinterest @together-as-family-blog-recipes or Facebook @togetherasfamilyblog for more!
Did you love this recipe?
Make sure to comment below so we can chat about it! Or follow on your favorite social network for even more family recipes.
Oh wow, that looks SO good! Can’t wait to try it!
Thanks sis 🙂 It’s really good. Thanks for the comment! I think baby lee wants some today 😉
I’m making this for a second time today-LOVE IT! I think I ate the whole bowl…today I’m sharing it with my sisters so they can become addicted too 🙂
haha Katie, you’re funny! I ate this for like breakfast, lunch, and dinner the day I made it….. So, I am pretty sure I ate the whole bowl too 😉 Thanks for coming back and commenting!