The best summertime dessert is this Fruit Pizza with a homemade sugar cookie crust, topped with a sweetened whipped cream cheese, and then topped with all your favorite fresh chopped fruits! This is the best way to eat a 'pizza' loaded with strawberries, blackberries, oranges, kiwi, raspberries, and blueberries. All the summertime fruit faves!
Fruit Pizza Recipe
This fruit pizza is a summer favorite! The 'crust' is a homemade sugar cookie, the 'sauce' is a sweetened whipped cream cheese, and then the 'toppings' are chopped fresh fruit. We love adding strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, kiwi, and mandarin oranges. Feel free to add other fruit, switch it up, or just add a few of your favorites.
Everyone loves pizza for dessert and this is the best recipe 🍓🫐🍊🥝
Here are the ingredients that you will need to make this recipe for a fresh fruit pizza with a sugar cookie crust. I also share some tips so that you can have success recreating this in your own kitchen.
- Sugar Cookie Crust
Salted Butter - I use salted butter because I prefer it, but you can use unsalted butter if that's what you have. You may want to add a bit more salt in using unsalted.
Vanilla Extract - Use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor when baking.
Salt - Table salt or sea salt will work just fine
- Sweetened Cream Cheese
- Cream Cheese - For the best tase and texture I recommend using full-fat cream cheese and not the reduced-fat.
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
- Fruit Topping
- Mandarin Oranges - Canned is what I use here, makes it really easy and they're yummy & juicy!
How To Make a Fruit Pizza with a Sugar Cookie Crust
Learn how to make a fruit pizza with the simple steps below. There is more prep work than a traditional easy dessert, but it comes together quickly and all the steps use simple baking ingredients.
- Sugar Cookie Crust : Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. It's important to whip it for at least 1 minute until it's fluffy and light in color. Add in the egg and vanilla, beat until combined. Add all the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Press the dough into a 12-inch pizza pan. Bake and let it cool completely before adding the cream cheese and fruit.
- Sweetened Cream Cheese : Beat cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl, for 1-2 minutes, until it's whipped and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and powdered sugar and beat until combined. Spread onto the pizza crust in an even layer.
- Fruit Topping : Decorate the top of the cream cheese with the chopped fruit.
Tips For Success
Here are some of my tips that will hopefully make this recipe a hit with your own family.
- Fruit : Make sure the fruit is rinsed and drained really well. Any excess water on the fruit can make the cream cheese and crust soggy. I rinse all my fruit and then drain it in a colander and place it on a paper towel to absorb any additional water. You can also dab the fruit with a paper towel to absorb excess water.
- Cutting The Fruit Pizza : It's important to cut the fruit small so it's easier to slice the pizza. You can also top each slice with fruit before serving if you have trouble cutting into slices.
- Let The Crust Cool Completely : Make sure the sugar cookie crust is completely cooled before adding the cream cheese and fruit. To speed this up, you can place it in the fridge but letting it cool at room temperature should only take 30 minutes to 1 hour, and you can prep the cream cheese frosting & fruit in that time.
- Frosting The Pizza : The best, and easiest way, to spread the whipped cream cheese frosting is by using an offset spatula. This is an icing spatula that makes it much easier to spread frosting onto baked goods.
Fruit Pizza FAQ's
- How To Store Leftovers
- Any leftovers can be covered and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- I do recommend eating this right after making it for best results.
- The longer the pizza sits in the fridge, the more moisture that the crust will absorb, which will turn it soggy eventually.
- Can I Freeze Fruit Pizza?
- Freezing is not recommended for this recipe.
- Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
- Yes you can, with some modifications.
- You can prepare the sugar cookie crust the day before, bake it and let it cool, and then cover it with tin foil or plastic wrap, and let it sit at room temperature overnight. The cream cheese topping can be made and stored, covered tightly with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator as well. Let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before spreading it.
- I do not recommend making the entire fruit pizza ahead of time. The crust will absorb the moisture from the cream cheese, and the fruit can begin to bleed color into the white cream cheese.
- Assemble the pizza right before serving.
- Variation Ideas
- Fruit : Use any fruit you want. Try to keep it the same measurements as what is listed in the recipe card below. You don't want to fill the crust with too many fruit pieces, as that can weigh it down.
- Sugar Cookie Crust : If you want to make this recipe really easy, use a roll of pre-made refrigerated sugar cookie dough in place of the homemade. Press the premade dough into a 12-inch pizza ban and bake for 10 minutes. Using premade dough will result in a thinner crust, but it is still delicious and quick! I like the dough that's already sectioned into 24 cookies. You can flatten them with the palm of your hand and press them into the pan. You can also just use a roll or log of refrigerated premade dough.
- How Can I Prevent The Crust From Getting Soggy?
- Assembling the pizza as close to when you are planning to serve it is the best way to prevent a soggy crust. However, by making the crust from scratch, it has a nice thickness and will hold up, even decorated, for a couple of days without falling apart.
- What Pan Do I Use to make a Fruit Dessert Pizza?
- You will need a 12-inch pizza pan, with sides, for this recipe. I do not recommend using a flat pizza pan (with no sides) because the sugar cookie dough will bake over while in the oven.
- If needed, you can also make the crust inside a 10x15 baking pan. However, I do recommend using a pizza pan as that is what will give you that classic pizza look and shape.
More Fruit Dessert Recipes You'll Love
- Blackberry Cobbler
- White Chocolate Berries & Cream Pie
- Strawberry Jello Pie
- Chocolate Strawberry Cream Pie
- Coconut Cream Fruit Dip
- Oatmeal Cookie Apple Crumble
- Raspberry Cobbler
- Lemon Blueberry Banana Bread
- Strawberry Raspberry Crumble
- Orange Pineapple Cake
Sugar Cookie Crust
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Whipped Cream Cheese
- 1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup small diced strawberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup blackberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup mandarin oranges (drained well from a can)
- ¼ cup small diced kiwi
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 12-inch pizza pan (with sides) lightly with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or use a mixing bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until it's combined and fluffy. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and egg. Mix for another 30 seconds until combined.
- Add the flour and baking powder. Mix just until combined and no flour streaks remain in the dough.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared 12-inch pizza pan. * Make sure you are using a pizza pan with slight side height to it. Not a completely flat one. The one I use is linked above (not affiliate) and it has .75" high sides.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through. * It will continue cooking slightly while it's cooling, but you should not pull it out of the oven if the dough looks wet in the middle. The crust should be a pale golden brown color in the center.
- IMPORTANT : Let the crust cool completely at room temperature before moving on. This is a good time to prepare all the fruit and chop up all the strawberries and kiwi. The fruit needs to be well drained and rinsed. I rinse the fruit and set them on a paper towel to dry. You can also blot the fruit with a paper towel as well to make sure no excess moisture is on it.
Make the Whipped Cream Cheese
- Beat cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl until creamy. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, beat until combined well and smooth.
- Spread the cream cheese frosting over the cooled sugar cookie crust in an even layer.
- Scatter the fruit throughout the top of the cream cheese. It's important that the strawberries and kiwi are cut into small chunks, because it makes it easier to slice the pizza.