SANTA FE CHICKEN SALAD WRAPS
Chicken Salad is a great recipe to have for those busy weeknights when you need a quick, grab & go dinner, or for lunch prep through out the week.
This santa fe chicken salad happens to be one of my favorites because it was the first recipe I ever posted to this blog! It needed a refresh and some new, updated photos to showcase it’s deliciousness 🙂
HOW TO MAKE SANTA FE CHICKEN SALAD, STEP BY STEP PHOTOS:
- Make the creamy dressing by combining all the ingredients together into a small bowl. You will need sour cream, mayo, chopped cilantro, sliced green onions, fresh lime juice, and a few seasonings. Stir it all together until it’s combined well.
- Add the chicken salad ingredients into a larger bowl. For this chicken salad recipe, you need some chopped/shredded chicken, a can of corn, can of drained and rinsed black beans, and a chopped orange or red bell pepper. Add in the creamy dressing from step 1 and mix together.
- Now comes assembling the wraps. Lay a large flour tortilla onto a plate, scoop about 1/4 cup – 1/3 cup of the chicken salad onto the middle, add shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and sliced avocado. Fold in the sides and then roll up like a burrito. Cut in the middle and serve.
MY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS CHICKEN SALAD RECIPE
- Use a rotisserie chicken! A rotisserie chicken from Costco or Sam’s Club will yield about 3 cups of chicken which is exactly what this recipe calls for.
- You can also place some fresh or frozen chicken breasts into the slow cooker, add a can of chicken broth, and cook on LOW heat for 6-8 hours. Shred it up with two forks and use that for this chicken salad.
- I like to use a can of fire roasted canned corn but feel free to use any variety of canned corn you want.
- This chicken salad can be served right away OR it can be refrigerated for several hours before serving. I like it better cold but trust me, it’s still just as good eaten right away. It also keep well in the refrigerator for several days.
- If you are wanting to cut some of the fat from the dressing you can try replacing the mayo with plain or Greek yogurt. It will affect the taste, so try it on your own and see what you think. We love it as is so I have never even tried it with the yogurt.
TRY THESE OTHER CHICKEN SALAD RECIPES
- pineapple chicken salad
- cashew chicken salad wraps
- parmesan chicken salad
- dill pickle chicken salad
- hot chicken salad French bread sandwiches
- copycat chick-fil-a chicken salad
Santa Fe Chicken Salad Wraps
Santa Fe Dressing
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (1 large lime)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups chopped OR shredded chicken (I use a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 can (15 oz) fire roasted corn (drained)
- 1 red OR orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- large burrito style flour tortillas
- halved cherry tomatoes
- shredded lettuce
- sliced avocado
- In a small bowl, combine all the creamy dressing ingredients and mix together well. Set aside.
- In larger bowl combine the chicken, black beans, corn, bell pepper, and the creamy dressing from step 1. Mix together well.
- Lay a flour tortilla on a plate and place about 1/2 cup (less or more) of the chicken salad onto the middle. Add shredded lettuce, halved tomatoes, and avocado slices. Fold up the sides and then roll up like a burrito. Cut in half and serve.
- ** Chicken salad can be eaten right away or refrigerated for several hours before serving. Leftover chicken salad can be refrigerated, covered in a container, for several days.