Fresh spinach leaves topped with juicy, ripe strawberries, feta cheese, and toasted almonds. Drizzled with a homemade (super easy!) yogurt based strawberry poppy seed dressing. This strawberry spinach salad can be made ahead of time and is really delicious.
One of my favorite salads has always been a spinach and strawberry salad with the yummy poppy seed dressing. I have never made my own dressing until now, and let me say, I am sad I didn't have this recipe sooner!
The salad is just a simple mix of bagged spinach leaves, crumbled feta cheese, and toasted almonds. Prepare a simple, really quick strawberry poppy seed dressing and that's it. You can either serve the dressing on the side or dress the salad yourself if you know it will all get eaten. The dressed leftovers will not keep well because the salad will get too soggy.
You can also make the salad part ahead of time, cover it, and leave it in the fridge. Then prepare the dressing and keep it in a separate bowl in the fridge. When it's time to use it, either pour the dressing on the salad and mix or serve the dressing alongside the salad.
You don't have to toast the almonds but it adds a nice flavor and crunch to the salad. Just a tip: after you toast the almonds do not put them on a paper-towel lined plate to dry & rest. Not that I am speaking from experience or anything 🙂 , but the paper towel will stick to the almonds and it's a pain to try and get off.
Toasting the almonds only takes minutes. Put 1/2 - 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet along with 1 tablespoon sugar and the almonds. Stir frequently as not to burn them. Once they get hot they will toast up quickly. Put onto a plate (not paper towel lined) to cool completely before adding it to the salad.
Add 2 or 3 tablespoons milk depending on your preferred thickness. I always add 3 tablespoons.
- 10 cups spinach leaves, stems removed and big pieces torn in half
- 1 lb package strawberries, sliced and/or chunked
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds **
- 1 container (6 oz) strawberry yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- To toast the almonds: place the almonds, butter, and sugar in a skillet pan over medium heat. Stir together, frequently, until almonds are a toasty brown color. About 5 minutes.
- For the spinach salad: Combine the spinach leaves, feta cheese, strawberries, and cooled toasted almonds in a large mixing bowl.
- To make the dressing: combine all the ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together until well combined and creamy & smooth. Or, combine all ingredients, except for the poppy seeds into a food processor and mix until creamy and smooth. Then stir in the poppy seeds.
'PIN' me to Pinterest ♥ ♥ ♥
Try these other strawberry recipes too!