This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Honey Mustard Chicken is a simple oven baked chicken recipe. Chicken breasts are smothered in a homemade sweet & savory honey mustard marinade, and it all cooks in one pan in the oven! Only a few minutes of prep work needed before the oven does all the work.
Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
Baked chicken recipes are some of my family’s favorite dinners! Chicken is healthy, lean, and it’s usually a very inexpensive protein to buy for dinner. And there are so many ways to dress up plain chicken breasts. This honey mustard chicken is a super flavorful way to spice up chicken!
A homemade sweet & savory honey mustard sauce gets poured over chicken breasts and it bakes together in the oven, using just one pan. Lots of flavor with hardly any effort at all.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe for honey mustard chicken breast.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Dijon Mustard
- Olive Oil – I prefer to use extra light tasting virgin olive oil. Regular olive oil has a really heavy taste to it.
- Yellow Mustard
- White Vinegar
- Dried Parsley
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make Oven Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
It’s easy to make baked honey mustard chicken. With only two easy steps, this is a simple dinner recipe that can be on the dinner table with not much hassle or time at all. Most of the time is the oven which means it’s hands-off for you!
Step One : Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
Step Two : Lay the raw chicken breasts in the baking pan.
Step Three : Mix up the honey mustard sauce and pour it over the chicken. Turn each chicken and/or use a spoon to make sure all the chicken is coated in some sauce.
Step Four : Bake until chicken is at temperature. Halfway through the bake time, turn chicken over and spoon sauce over it, and let it cook for the remaining time.
Tips For Success
Here are a few of my helpful tips that will hopefully make this recipe a hit for your family!
- Serving Size : If you want more than 4 servings for this recipe here is a tip! Cut each chicken breast in half, horizontally, so you end up with two smaller/thinner pieces of chicken breast from each one for a total of 8 pieces. The chicken cooks faster and it’s easier to eat, especially for kids, when it’s thinner like that.
- Mustard : We love the recipe as is, but you can certainly switch things up with it. If you want a sweeter honey mustard sauce try using honey mustard instead of yellow mustard or you can do half yellow mustard + half honey mustard.
- Smokey Flavor : If wanted, smoked paprika can be substituted for regular paprika for a smokey flavor.
- Chicken Breast : I have never made this recipe with anything other than chicken breast. The marinade makes enough for 4 chicken breasts so you can just make 4 thicker chicken breasts, or cut each one in half so you end up with two thinner pieces of chicken breast from each one. Doing this, will also allow more servings too.
- Vinegar : The white vinegar called for is just regular, plain distilled white vinegar. Nothing fancy like wine vinegar or anything.
Serving Suggestions for Honey Mustard Chicken
There are many ways to serve this baked honey mustard chicken! Here are a few things that my family loves.
- Serve the chicken over cooked rice of choice, and drizzle some of the extra honey mustard sauce over it. We like either white rice or a wild rice mix. You can even try making a Rice Pilaf to go alongside the chicken.
- Serve with a side of Parmesan Roasted Potatoes, Garlic Parmesan Roasted Sweet Potatoes, or Roasted Red Potatoes.
- For a healthier option try serving it over some cauliflower rice or spiral zucchini noodles.
- My family also loves this chicken served alongside some roasted vegetables. Either store bought (make it easy) or we love this simple recipe for Roasted Vegetables.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken Breasts?
You can use frozen chicken breast in this recipe but I would highly recommend thawing them first! Baking the frozen chicken in the honey mustard sauce will result in extra water going into the sauce and the end result would be a watered down honey mustard sauce.
For best results and taste, use fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts or be sure and thaw frozen chicken breasts completely before baking them in the sauce.
Can I Freeze Honey Mustard Chicken?
Yes, this honey mustard chicken can be stored in a freezer-safe sealed bag or container (I use a gallon size Ziploc bag) for up to 2 months. Simple let it thaw, overnight in the fridge, before reheating when ready to eat.
You can also freeze the honey mustard chicken raw. Meaning, that it makes a great freezer meal that you can throw in the crockpot straight from the freezer. Add the chicken and all the honey mustard sauce ingredients into a freezer-safe Ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, you can put the frozen meal into the crockpot or let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then bake it in the oven, according to recipe instructions below.
If cooking the frozen meal in the crockpot, be sure and add some chicken broth to the insert of the slow cooker. Cook on LOW heat for 6-7 hours.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftover baked chicken will keep well in the fridge, in an air-tight container, for up to 3 days.
More Chicken Dinner Recipes Your Family Will Love
- Slow Cooker Honey Teriyaki Chicken
- Cheesy Chicken Taquitos
- Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Baked Crispy Chicken Parmesan
- Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Lemon Parmesan Chicken
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2-2½ pounds)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oven to 375° F. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish and spray it well with cooking spray.
- Lay the chicken breasts into the baking dish. * See note below if you want more than 4 servings.
- In a small bowl, stir together the honey, dijon mustard, olive oil, yellow mustard, vinegar, paprika, parsley, salt & pepper.
- Pour the honey mixture over the chicken. Turn chicken over, and then back again, to make sure all the chicken breasts are coated in the sauce. You can also spoon extra sauce over the chicken.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes. Halfway through the cook time, flip each chicken breast over and spoon sauce onto the chicken, and let it cook for the remaining time.
- Baking time will vary depending on the size of the chicken you are using. Once the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165°, remove from the oven and serve hot.