This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe is a must-make for pasta night! French bread or Italian bread is covered in a cheesy mixture of butter, dried seasonings, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese. It bakes in the oven for a crispy exterior and a soft cheesy center.
Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe
I have been so excited to share this cheesy garlic bread with you guys! I won’t even admit to how many times I’ve made this just in the past few weeks… My kids all beg for it and I have to admit, I am all too happy to make it for them because who can resists cheesy, warm garlic bread?!
This recipe is easy to make with a loaf of French bread, butter, shredded cheeses like mozzarella and parmesan, and dried seasonings.
Crispy, golden brown on the outside and edges, while the center of the bread is cheesy and soft.
Here is the short list of ingredients you will need to make homemade cheesy garlic bread in your own kitchen!
- French Bread – There are lots of options for this. You can use regular French bread, Italian loaf, or some artisan crusty bread. I have also used ciabatta rolls (I get them from Costco) and then spread the butter on each half.
- Salted Butter – If you use unsalted butter you will want to add some salt to the recipe. Not much, maybe like 1/4 teaspoon.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese – Normally I say you have to shred your own cheese, but I have used the pre-shredded cheese from the bag and it works out just fine. When you shred your own cheese, it melts better and I think it tastes better, but for ease and convenience the pre-shredded cheese will work just fine.
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese – Grate this from a wedge of parmesan cheese or you can buy it pre-shredded in the bag or container.
- Dried Basil
- Garlic Powder
How to Make Oven Baked Cheesy Garlic Bread
This recipe is so simple to make with only a few minutes of prep time needed and then the oven does all the work!
Step One : Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice the French bread in half, horizontally, so you end up two longer and thinner pieces of bread. Place them on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper, tin foil, or sprayed with cooking spray.
Step Two : Combine the butter, shredded cheeses, and dried seasonings into a mixing bowl and stir together until it’s combined well. This will take several minutes to get it all mixed together.
Step Three : Divide butter mixture in half and spread half of it on each piece of French bread.
Step Four : Cook for 12-15 minutes or until desired crispiness is reached. Slice each piece into 8 smaller slices and serve!
Tips For Success
Here are a few of my helpful tips that will hopefully make this recipe a hit with your own family.
- Butter : Make sure the butter is very well softened before using. If it’s too cold and hard, you will have a very hard time getting it mixed with the other ingredients. I put the butter on a microwave-safe plate and microwave it for about 20 seconds. This ensures that the butter is nice and soft, a little melted is ok too. Just make sure the entire stick is not completely melted.
- Cheese : Shredding your own cheese always tastes so much better and it melts smoother. I recommend shredding your own parmesan cheese from a wedge at the very least. I normally just use pre-shredded mozzarella cheese for this recipe and it works great.
- Cook Time : Depending on how crispy and golden brown you want your garlic bread, leave it in the oven for less time or longer than listed in the recipe. I have found that right around 13 minutes is perfect for what my family prefers.
Variation & Substitution Ideas
There are lots of ways to switch up this recipe. Here are a few ways you can do it.
- Cheese : Feel free to use any shredded cheese you want. Just make sure you add the same amounts as called for in the recipe. The total cheese amount is 1 cup + 2/3 cup of shedded cheese. Other great options are cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese for a kick, provolone cheese, and even ricotta cheese for a creamy texture.
- Bread : You can spread the cheesy garlic butter on any type of bread you want! My mom used to spread it on leftover hamburger buns and it was good. I like to use crusty baguette type bread or the Italian bread loaf from Costco that you can find in their bakery section. I’ve also used Costco’s Ciabatta bread before. You really can’t go wrong here so use whatever bread you like. The recipe makes plenty of the garlic butter that will be enough to spray on just about any type of bread you are using.
- Seasonings : Feel free to add more seasonings to this recipe. Fresh garlic is a really yummy choice, Italian seasoning, additional garlic powder or basil, and dried oregano are all great options. My family loves it as, but you can definitely switch up the seasonings to whatever you prefer.
How To Store Leftovers of Garlic Bread with Cheese
Leftovers of this cheesy garlic bread recipe can be stored at room temperature, in an air-tight container or Ziploc bag, for up to 2-3 days.
I have noticed that the leftovers will get harder the longer it sits out (even inside the container or bag).
When it comes to garlic bread I think it’s always best eaten within a few hours of making it.
Can I Freeze Garlic Bread?
Yes you can! Prepare the recipe as directed, by cutting the loaf in half and spreading the cheesy butter over each half, and then put the halves back together.
Tightly wrap the bread loaf in tin foil (I like to double wrap the loaf) and place it in the freezer for up to 1 month.
When ready to eat, let it thaw in the fridge overnight OR you can just put the frozen loaf into the oven and let it cook until it’s done. The cook time will be longer if cooking it from frozen.
I always make this garlic bread with cheese whenever we have some sort of pasta for dinner.
It’s so good dipped in this Cream Cheese Alfredo Sauce!
I always make it with this Homemade Spaghetti Meat Sauce. The best part is when you take the bread and sop up the leftover spaghetti sauce on your plate.
More Bread Recipes You’ll Love
Cheesy Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf French bread or Italian bread
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter very softened
- 1⅓ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Heat oven to 400° F. Prepare a cookie sheet by lining with parchment paper, tin foil, or spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Cut the french bread loaf in half, horizontally, so you end up with two longer and thinner pieces of french bread. Put the bread halves on the prepared cookie sheet.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the softened butter, shredded cheeses, garlic powder, and dried basil. Mix until everything is combined well.* This will take a few minutes to mix it all together. I use a wooden spoon or silicone spatula to mix it. * TIP : Make sure the butter is very well softened. I actually put it in the microwave and cook it for about 20 seconds. You'll end up with soft chunks of butter. This way, it's much easier to mix it with the other ingredients.
- Divide the mixture in half and evenly spread it onto each french bread piece.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. It will be done when the cheese is nicely melted and golden brown, and the bread and edges are golden browned. Cut into slices and serve.