Seasoned ground beef, crushed tortilla chips, and lots of cheese make this taco salad casserole a family favorite! Serve with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, avocado, olives, and sour cream for a fun twist to a traditional taco salad.
I know I say this all the time, but this is my favorite dinner recipe on the blog. I love a traditional taco salad but this casserole version is even better because it bakes up in one dish and then you lay out a buffet of taco toppings and everyone can have fun making their own.
Plus, it can be on the dinner table in about 30 minutes and we all know those recipes are like gold. It's also one of those dinners that I can count on my kids eating every single time. There are no beans in it, and there is an entire bag of chips! What kids wouldn't like that?! 🙂
My kids seems to eat better when they can dish it up themselves or make their own. I love using paper bowls (less dishes!) to put all the toppings in and then lay it all out on the table.
Our favorites are; shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, chopped olives, sour cream w/ some lime juice mixed in (makes a huge difference), and chopped avocados. You could also do guacamole, salsa, jalapenos, or cilantro.
While you're cooking the beef mixture it may seem like there is too much liquid. It will be a looser beef mixture but you need that extra moisture for the tortilla chips while it bakes up.
Just make sure to follow the directions and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. The flavor develops and a majority of the liquid will cook out, although you will still be left with a looser beef mixture.
You could also replace all the seasonings with a packet of taco seasoning but I promise that using your own tastes so much better. It takes a few minutes to find them all in the cupboard. Unless your spice cupboard is just way more organized than mine is 🙂 I open the door of mine and spice bottles come tumbling out.... But, the few extra minutes of measuring out the spices will pay off when you taste this casserole.
I hope you all love this one. It's easy enough for a weeknight meal during back-to-school when all the activities and homework are happening. Enjoy this one friends.
Seasoned ground beef, crushed tortilla chips, and lots of cheese make this taco salad casserole a family favorite dinner! Serve with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, avocado, olives, and sour cream for a fun twist to a traditional taco salad.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth or beef broth
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 bag (12-15 oz) corn tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 block (8 oz) cheddar cheese or colby jack cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- Cook the ground beef over medium-high heat. Crumble beef as you cook it. Drain and return to pan.
- Sprinkle the chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, brown sugar, and flour over the beef and stir until all combined. Add chicken broth and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low heat and let simmer for 15 minutes until most of the liquid is gone. Mixture should still have liquid but it will be thicker than before.
- In a 9x13 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray, layer half the crushed chips, half the beef mixture, half the shredded cheese. Repeat layers one more time with the other half.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Serve with all your favorite taco toppings!
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST