Taco Salad Casserole with seasoned ground beef, crushed tortilla chips, and lots of cheese! Serve with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, avocado, olives, and sour cream for a fun twist to a traditional taco salad.
TACO SALAD CASSEROLE RECIPE
I know I say this all the time, but this is my favorite dinner recipe on the blog. I love a traditional taco salad but this casserole version is even better because it bakes up in one dish and then you lay out a buffet of taco toppings and everyone can have fun making their own.
Plus, it can be on the dinner table in about 30 minutes and we all know those recipes are like gold. It's also one of those dinners that I can count on my kids eating every single time. There are no beans in it, and there is an entire bag of chips! What kid wouldn't like that?!
My kids seems to eat better when they can dish it up themselves or make their own. I love using paper bowls (less dishes!) to put all the toppings in and then lay it all out on the table.
Our favorites are; shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, chopped olives, sour cream w/ some lime juice mixed in (makes a huge difference), and chopped avocados. You could also do guacamole, salsa, jalapenos, or cilantro.
While you're cooking the beef mixture it may seem like there is too much liquid. It will be a looser beef mixture but you need that extra moisture for the tortilla chips while it bakes up.
Just make sure to follow the directions and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. The flavor develops and a majority of the liquid will cook out, although you will still be left with a looser beef mixture.
You could also replace all the seasonings with a packet of taco seasoning but I promise that using your own tastes so much better. It takes a few minutes to find them all in the cupboard. Unless your spice cupboard is just way more organized than mine is. I open the door of mine and spice bottles come tumbling out.... But the few extra minutes of measuring out the spices will pay off when you taste this casserole.
I hope you all love this one. It's easy enough for a weeknight meal during back-to-school when all the activities and homework are happening. Enjoy this one friends.
Taco Salad Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth or beef broth
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 bag (12-15 oz) tortilla chips crushed
- 2 cups shredded cheese any variety
- Heat oven to 350°. Prepare a 9x13 baking pan by spraying with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook and crumble the ground beef and salt in a skillet pan, over medium high heat, until beef is no longer pink. Drain the excess grease and moisture.
- Add chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, onion powder, brown sugar, and flour to the ground beef. Stir to combine until all the ground beef is coated.
- Add the broth and tomato sauce. Stir and let it come to a boil. Once boiling reduce heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Most of the liquid should be absorbed but there should still be some liquid left. Mixture will be thicker.
- In the prepared baking dish layer half of the crushed chips, half of the beef mixture and half the shredded cheese. Repeat layers one more time.
- Cook for 20 minutes. Serve with all your favorite taco salad toppings. We like shredded lettuce, sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and avocado slices.