CHICKEN CASSEROLE RECIPE
This chicken casserole is the perfect way to use up leftover or chicken, or a Rotisserie chicken for a quick & easy dinner recipe that is mild in flavor and appeals to the entire family.
This chicken casserole only needs two cups of dry pasta so it's the perfect way to use up those little amounts that seem to be leftover.
The other great thing is that the meat is very adaptable. If you have some leftover ground beef then use that. Or even some leftover shredded pork would be delicious. You can also cook from your pantry and use some canned chicken. I usually always use leftover shredded chicken or a rotisserie chicken.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS EASY CHICKEN CASSEROLE
- Dried Pasta - Any shape will work! It's best to use a smaller shaped pasta like small shells, elbow, or rotini pasta.
- Sour Cream
- Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, and Cumin
- Canned Corn
- Black Beans
- Shredded Cheese - Use whatever kind you love! I always have Colby-Jack cheese in the fridge so that's what I use.
MY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS CHICKEN CASSEROLE
- Use whatever leftover meat you have on hand. Ground beef, pulled pork, shredded or chunked chicken are all great options.
- If you don't like black beans then substitute with a different can of beans that you like.
- You can use any cheese you want!
- If you want some more spice then feel free to add some chili powder or cayenne pepper along with the other seasonings. Or you can also add a small jar of diced green chilies.
- It's best to use a small shaped pasta like rotini, small or medium shell pasta, or fusilli pasta.
- Make sure you use a really good salsa that you love. I really like buying the fresh made salsas from the produce area of the grocery store. But any jarred or fresh salsa will work fine.
TRY THESE OTHER CASSEROLE RECIPES
- baked spaghetti casserole
- 5 ingredient mexican biscuit casserole
- creamy chicken pot pie casserole
- creamy beef noodle bake
Fiesta Chicken Casserole
- 2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 can (15 oz) corn (drained)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 2 cups cooked shredded/chunked chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Don't forget to salt the pasta water. I use about 1 teaspoon salt.
- While pasta is cooking, combine sour cream, salsa, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Drain the pasta when it's done cooking and add into the sour cream mixture. Stir to combine. Add in the corn, black beans, chicken, and 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Stir together to combine.
- Pour into the baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Cover with tin foil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Take the tin foil off and let cook an additional 5 minutes. Garnish with green onions, tomato, and avocado slices if wanted.
recipe adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything