Everyone goes crazy for this super easy Root Beer Float Pie. It's a creamy pie that tastes exactly like a root beer float with the texture of a soft frozen dessert. So refreshing and light for these hot summer days. Plus, it's a no bake dessert recipe that takes just minutes to prepare with convenient ingredients like Cool Whip and a ready-to-use graham cracker crust.
For more recipes that use root beer try my Slow Cooker Root Beer BBQ Chicken for dinner.
Root Beer Float Pie Recipe
This root beer float pie will be the hit dessert of the summer! Taste exactly like a root beer float in frozen pie form. It's so creamy, cool, and just perfect for summertime!
Bonus is that this no bake pie can be made in minutes. Yes minutes! It uses convenient store-bought ingredients like a graham cracker crust, instant pudding, Cool Whip, root beer, and root beer concentrate for lots of that root beer flavor everyone loves.
How To Make a No Bake Root Beer Float Frozen Pie
- Graham Cracker Crust - I use this one or a shortbread crust if I can find it at the store. You could go all out and make your won but why not make it easy?!
- Root Beer - It's best to not use diet soda in this recipe. We love A&W root beer!
- Milk - The higher fat percentage the better. You want the fat and the thickness to help set the pie up. I always use whole milk or half & half milk (which is half milk and half cream).
- Root Beer Concentrate - Some have a hard time finding this but I never have. Look by the other extracts (by the spices and seasonings) at the grocery store. The box will specifically say 'root beer concentrate' on it.
- Instant Vanilla Pudding - Ignore the directions on the box and just follow the recipe below.
- Cool Whip - Again, when it comes to dairy I prefer the higher-fat products over the lite and sugar-free stuff. But feel free to use what you prefer here.
- Whipped Cream & Maraschino Cherries - It says optional in the recipe but you should really add it! The homemade whipped cream layer on top adds so much to the pie. I serve each piece with a dollop of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry on top. It makes for a pretty presentation too.
Tips For Success
Here are a few of my helpful tips that will make this recipe a hit in your own family as well.
- Root Beer : For best taste & texture I would highly recommend using real root beer (not diet). It tastes much better in this pie.
- Milk : You want to use a higher fat content of milk in this recipe to help the pie set and thicken nicely. I prefer half and half when I make this, but whole milk is another good option too.
- Garnishes : If topping the pie with whipped cream and garnishes, do that after the refrigeration time and right before serving.
- Instant Pudding : Make sure you are NOT using the cook n' serve pudding mix. You want the instant pudding mix. It's best to not use sugar-free pudding mix in this pie. It's a much smaller package size, and I have never personally tested this recipe with it, so I can't say for sure how it would turn out.
More No Bake Pie Recipes You'll Love
- black forest cheesecake pie
- triple layer lemon pudding pie
- lemon cheesecake pie
- pistachio cheesecake pie
- oreo cream pie
- no bake snickers cream pie
- nutella pie
- toffee cheesecake pie
Root Beer Float Pie
- ¾ cup root beer
- ½ cup half & half OR whole milk
- 2 tablespoons root beer concentrate
- 1 box (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 oz) Cool Whip thawed
- 1 (6 oz) ready-to-use graham cracker OR shortbread crumb crust
Garnishes (optional but highly recommend)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- maraschino cherries
- In large mixing bowl combine the root beer, milk, and root beer concentrate. Sprinkle the vanilla pudding mix over it. Whisk together for 1-2 minutes and then let it sit for 5 minutes so it can thicken.
- Fold in the thawed cool whip and mix together until it is combined together well. Pour into the prepared crumb crust and evenly spread it out.
- Cover with enclosed lid (the plastic lid from graham cracker crust) and place in the freezer for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Before serving prepare the whipped cream topping (if using). Beat together the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl until thick and stiff peaks form. This will take about 5 minutes. Serve a dollop of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry over top of each piece. Or you can spread the whipped cream topping over top the pie and then cut into slices.
- Eat & serve straight from the freezer. Store any leftovers in the freezer.