This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
This quick & easy Taco Ring is a delicious tex-mex dinner that’s so simple to make with only 5 ingredients! Crescent dough creates a buttery ring around taco seasoned ground beef, and then its brushed with an egg wash to create a golden brown crescent dough crust. Serve with all your favorite taco toppings!
Easy Taco Ring Recipe – With Ground Beef and Crescent Roll Dough
This fun and delicious taco ring is the best way to switch up your tex-mex dinner night or Taco Tuesday! Simple to make with only 5 ingredients – ground beef, taco seasoning packet, crescent roll dough, cheese, and a large egg – water is also an ingredient needed but we’re not counting that 😉
Ground beef tacos are served in a ring shape complete with seasoned ground beef and cheese! The delicious and buttery crescent dough makes for the perfect ‘taco shell’ around the beef and reminds me of a chalupa type taste and texture.
Fill the middle inside of the taco ring with all your favorite taco toppings like shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, black olives, chopped cilantro, sour cream, and anything else your family loves to eat with tacos.
Simple Ingredients Needed
- Ground Beef – I prefer using 93/7 ground beef, but feel free to use whatever you have or what you prefer. You can also switch it out for 1 pound of ground turkey.
- Taco Seasoning Packet – I like using the mild taco seasoning packet whenever a recipe calls for a packet of taco seasoning. Use regular, hot & spicy, chicken taco seasoning packet, or even the cheesy taco seasoning packet will all work for substitutes.
- Water – This is technically not defined as an ‘ingredient’, which is why I classify this recipe as a ‘5 ingredient recipe’, but you will need it for the beef taco mixture as well as for the egg wash.
- Crescent Rolls – Two tubes of crescent dough is what a taco ring recipe calls for.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese – Or use any variety of cheese you want!
- Large Egg – This creates the egg wash for the taco ring (the crescent dough) that will help it turn golden brown, buttery, and flaky while baking.
How To Make a Taco Ring For Dinner (Printable Recipe Card Below)
- In a skillet pan, over medium-high heat, cook and crumble the ground beef until it’s no longer pink. Once done, drain the excess grease from the pan. Stir in the taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the taco meat to a glass bowl and set aside so it can cool down for a bit.
- Use a large pizza pan (15-inch pizza pan) OR a baking sheet. Place a 5-inch bowl into the center of the pan, upside down. Unroll the crescents and separate them. Arrange each crescent triangle around the bowl in a circular pattern with the point of the crescent facing outward, and overlapping a bit with the others.
- Once the crescents are arranges, scoop a dollop of the prepared taco meat into the center of each crescent, near the inner part of the ring closest to the bowl. Repeat until each crescent has an equal portion of meat.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the meat. Remove the bowl from the center.
- Grab the point of the crescent and fold it over the cheese and taco meat, and gently tuck and press it under to secure it. Repeat until all crescents are folded and secured.
- Whisk together the egg and water. Use a pastry brush to brush it over the crescent dough.
- Cook it for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow the taco ring to rest and cool, on the baking tray, for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Fill the hole, inside the taco ring, with shredded lettuce, black olives, chopped tomatoes, and whatever else you want for serving. Enjoy!
How To Store Leftover Taco Ring
Keep any leftover taco ring inside an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 3 days. This taco ring is best eaten fresh after it’s made, as leftovers will get softer (the crescent roll ring), but leftovers can still be reheated in the microwave and be delicious.
Can I Make Any Substitutions or Changes To This Taco Ring Recipe?
- Use Ground Turkey or Ground Chicken : Replace the ground beef with healthier, leaner ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Add Black Beans : Add a can of drained & rinsed black beans into the ground beef along with the water and taco seasoning.
- Make It Spicy! : Add a can of diced green chilies or chopped jalapeños into the ground beef taco mixture. Use a packet of hot & spicy taco seasoning. Add spicy dried seasonings along with the taco seasoning packet such as cayenne red pepper, hot sauce, or chipotle powder.
Recipe Tips For Success
Here are a few tips and helpful hints for making a taco ring for dinner.
- Let The Taco Meat Cool Slightly : It’s important to cook and crumble the meat first and then allow it a few minutes to cool, in the glass bowl, because if it’s too hot when added on top of the crescent dough then it will soften it too much.
- Egg Wash : Don’t skip this important step. The egg wash helps the taco ring bake up to golden brown, flaky, and buttery perfection in the oven.
- Crescent Roll Tip : Keep the crescent roll tubes in the fridge until right before you are ready to use them. This will help avoid them from sticking together, which happens if the crescent dough gets closer to room temperature which makes it softer.
More Tex-Mex Dinner Ideas
- Turkey Taco Burrito Bowls
- Crockpot Southwest Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Tex Mex Sloppy Joes
- Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken Tacos
- Honey Lime Chicken Taquitos
- Quick & Easy Chicken Flautas
- Copycat Cafe Rio Dressing
- Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Enchiladas
- Southwest Chicken Pasta
- Ground Turkey Tacos
- Easy Chicken Tostadas
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tubes (8 oz each) crescent rolls
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomatoes or pico de gallo
- guacamole or avocado slices
- chopped black olives
- sour cream
- Prep : Preheat the oven to 375℉. Prepare a 15" round pizza pan or a large baking sheet (12"x17") by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray or lining it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet pan, over medium-high heat, cook and crumble the ground beef until it's no longer pink. Drain the excess grease.1 pound ground beef
- Stir the packet of taco seasoning and the water into the ground beef until combined. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for 5 minutes.1 packet taco seasoning, 1/2 cup water
- When done, remove the meat from the hot skillet pan into a glass mixing bowl or plate. Let it cool down while you prepare the crescent ring.
- Place a 5-inch bowl, upside down, into the center of your prepared pan. Unroll the crescent dough and separate them into the triangles (16 triangle pieces total).2 tubes (8 oz each) crescent rolls
- Arrange each crescent triangle piece around the bowl, in a circular pattern, with the point facing outward, while overlapping them just a bit. * Press the crescents together to smoosh them and create an even base layer (around the bowl) for the taco meat.
- Scoop the taco meat around the bowl on each crescent triangle. Repeat until all the meat has been used and it makes a 'ring' around the bowl.
- Sprinkle the cheese over top the taco meat.1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Remove the bowl from the center. Grab the point of each crescent and fold it over the meat and cheese layers, and gently tuck and press it under to secure. Repeat all the way around the ring. * If you have trouble removing the bowl, use a butter knife to wedge it underneath the bowl to lift the bowl out.
- Whisk together the egg and water until combined. Use a pastry brush to apply a coating of the egg wash to the outside of the ring on the crescent dough. * You probably won't use all of the egg wash and that's fine.1 large egg, 1 tablespoon water
- Cook for 14-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow it rest for 5 minutes before filling with toppings and serving.
- Add your favorite taco toppings into the center of the taco ring. Serve warm!shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes or pico de gallo, guacamole or avocado slices, chopped black olives, sour cream