This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Experience the delicious taste of tacos in one bite with this creamy layered Taco Dip – cream cheese taco dip seasoned with taco seasoning and layered with all the taco favorites like sour cream, salsa, olives, shredded cheese, jalapeños, and tomatoes. Serve with Fritos corn chips or tortilla chips for the best taco dip recipe!
Easy Taco Dip Recipe (Layer Taco Dip)
If you love tacos then this layered taco dip will be an instant favorite! A creamy and cheesy dip layered and topped with all your favorite taco toppings – like shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, black olives, and an assortment of garnishes like green onions, chopped cilantro, and chopped jalapeños.
I recommend serving this dip in the center of a larger serving platter and then having an assortment of dipping options around it. Nacho Cheese Doritos, Fritos corn chips, tortilla chips, lime tortilla chips, or the guacamole flavored tortilla chips are all great options.
Why You’ll Love Creamy Taco Dip
- Party Dip or Gathering Dip : This creamy dip makes for the perfect party dip with it’s layers of taco goodness! Serve it with an assortment of dipping options like Fritos corn chips or tortilla chips, for an easy dip & go appetizer option at a party or gathering, or as a snack for family game night.
- For The Taco Lovers : This easy dip recipe tastes just like tacos but in dip form. The corn tortilla chips is the shell and then you have all the classic taco toppings inside the dip – sour cream, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, and taco seasoning. You won’t even miss the beef!
- Best Cold Dip : I love cold dips because you can prep them ahead of time and they’re ready to go. Plus, there is no need to try and figure out how to keep the dip warmed throughout the serving time. Just serve this classic taco dip chilled from the fridge.
Simple Ingredients Needed (Printable Recipe Card)
Cream Cheese Layer/Base Layer
- Chive and Onion Cream Cheese : This is the spreadable, softer cream cheese that is flavored. There are lots of other options that would work great in this recipe like veggie, jalapeño, or even the garlic and herb.
- Cream Cheese : Regular block cream cheese is what you’ll need here. Reduced-fat or fat-free will also work if that’s what you prefer. For best results use room temperature cream cheese to avoid lumps in the mixture.
- Sour Cream : Lite, reduced-fat, or regular sour cream all work great. You can also use plain Greek yogurt for a “healthier, lower-fat” option.
- Salsa : Choose your favorite salsa – mild, medium, or hot & spicy.
- Packet of Taco Seasoning : The recipe calls for a mild taco seasoning packet but if you want more of a zesty/spicy taco flavor then use regular taco seasoning or a spicy taco seasoning packet. You can also use a packet of reduced-sodium taco seasoning if wanted.
Taco Dip Layered Toppings
- Shredded Lettuce : Purchase a bag of pre shredded iceberg lettuce, shred iceberg lettuce from a head, or small chop a head of green leaf lettuce.
- Roma Tomatoes : I like to take out the seeds and extra juice before chopping the tomatoes into small chunks.
- Black Olives
- Jalapeños : Take out the seeds and white membrane for a mild version or keep them for a spicier version. You can use 1 jalapeños, half a jalapeño, or as many as you want! I only use about half a jalapeno and I take the seeds and white membrane part out for a mild version. It adds good flavor but no spice – perfect for kids.
- Mexican Shredded Cheese Blend : This is a bag of pre shredded Mexican cheese blend. Cheddar cheese is another good option, or Pepper Jack cheese, or Monterey Jack cheese if you want to change it up.
How To Make This Creamy Mexican Dip With Cream Cheese (7-Layer Dip)
In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the chive and onion cream cheese and the cream cheese together until smooth and creamy. Make sure you are using softened cream cheese to avoid lumps in the cream cheese mixture.
Add in the sour cream, salsa, and taco seasoning. Continue mixing until blended and smooth.
Spread the cream cheese & sour cream mixture into the bottom of a deep dish pie plate (9-inch) or other serving dish, and spread into an even layer.
Top with a layer of shredded lettuce.
Sprinkle the chopped tomatoes, olives, and chopped jalapeños over top the lettuce.
For the final layer, spread a thick layer of the shredded cheese over top the dip.
Garnish with sliced green onions, chopped cilantro, or jalapeño pieces if wanted. Serve with tortilla chips.
How To Store Taco Dip
To properly store the layered taco dip, cover the dish tightly with plastic wrap or a lid, or you can transfer the dip to an airtight container. Refrigerate the dip for up to 3-4 days. Freezing this taco dip is not recommended as the dairy-based foods can change texture when frozen and then thawed. The toppings also will not freeze well.
I recommend eating and serving this dip within several hours of making it as the shredded lettuce will become much softer as it sits in the fridge or sits out at a gathering or party.
Substitution and Variation Ideas For Layered Taco Dip
There are lots of ways to change up this dip recipe if wanted. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Protein : Add cooked & crumbled ground beef taco meat, shredded chicken, or a vegetarian alternative like drained & rinsed black beans on top of the cream cheese layer.
- Spice Level : Adjust the spice level by using a mild, medium, or hot salsa or try using a spicy salsa or mild salsa depending on desired heat preference. Omit the jalapeños entirely for a completely mild version or add more for more spice.
- Taco Toppings : Get creative with toppings and use your favorite taco toppings for the dip. Finely diced red onion, chopped cilantro, squeeze of fresh lime juice, pico de Gallo, chopped bell peppers, drizzle of hot sauce or taco sauce, avocado slices, or a layer of guacamole.
- Presentation : You can make this dip inside individual clear plastic cups (like Chinet brand) for fun individual serving sized dip cups. Or spread the dip onto a platter or large plate and just layer everything.
- Dipping Options : Tortilla chips, Fritos corn chips, pita chips, fresh veggies sticks like carrot and celery, or Doritos chips. Anything will work!
More Family Favorite Dips To Try
- Crockpot Bean Dip
- Ultimate Cowboy Queso
- Avocado Dip
- Easy Funfetti Dip
- Fiesta Ranch Dip
- Easy Million Dollar Dip
- Chili Cheese Dip
- Coconut Cream Fruit Dip
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip
Cream Cheese Base Layer
- 1 container (8 oz) onion and chive cream cheese spread
- 1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 packet mild taco seasoning
Layered Taco Toppings
- 2½ cups shredded lettuce
- 3/4 cup seeded and diced Roma tomatoes (about 1-2 tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1-2 jalapeños (seeded and chopped)
- 1½ cups Fiesta blend shredded cheese
- tortilla chips & Fritos corn chips (for serving)
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the chive and onion cream cheese and the cream cheese together until smooth and creamy. * Make sure you are using softened cream cheese to avoid lumps in the cream cheese mixture OR mix it thoroughly until no lumps remain. You can also use a stand mixer to beat the cream cheese until whipped and creamy.1 container (8 oz) onion and chive cream cheese spread, 1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese
- Add in the sour cream, salsa, and taco seasoning. Continue mixing until blended and smooth.1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup salsa, 1 packet mild taco seasoning
- Spread the cream cheese & sour cream mixture into the bottom of a deep dish pie plate (9-inch) or other serving dish, and spread into an even layer.
- Top with a layer of shredded lettuce.2½ cups shredded lettuce
- Sprinkle the chopped tomatoes, olives, and chopped jalapeños over top the lettuce.3/4 cup seeded and diced Roma tomatoes, 1/4 cup sliced black olives, 1-2 jalapeños
- For the final layer, spread a thick layer of the shredded cheese over top the dip.1½ cups Fiesta blend shredded cheese
- Garnish with sliced green onions, chopped cilantro, or jalapeño pieces if wanted. Serve with tortilla chips and/or Fritos corn chips.tortilla chips & Fritos corn chips