Chunks of seasoned chicken, onion, and sliced bell peppers cook in one pan on the stove top. Mix in some ranch dressing for the best 30 minute meal. These ranch chicken fajitas are perfect for a busy weeknight that the entire family will love.
These skillet chicken ranch fajitas were a very happy accident. I actually was not even planning on posting these to the blog but after trying them I knew I had to.
My kids LOVE bell peppers. Like really, really love them. I've said before here on the blog but my kids like very untraditional kid food; like jalapeno, cilantro, quinoa, sushi, lettuce wraps, salad, and bell peppers.
But they'll refuse to eat mac n' cheese, pb & j, or stuff like spaghetti-o's. It's so weird.
I always buy the 6-pk of sweet bell peppers at Costco and most weeks they will eat all 6 of them. This week there were some left that were starting to go bad so I had to do something.
That's how these skillet fajitas were born. Out of pure desperation to not waste 2 chicken breasts and 2 bell peppers!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN FAJITAS IN A SKILLET PAN
- Thinly slice an onion and 2 bell pepper. You can use any onion you want; sweet Vidalia, white, or yellow onion. Same with the bell peppers, use any 2 colors you want or whatever you have in the fridge. I love using a non-green bell pepper for this recipe like a red, yellow, or orange bell pepper.
- Cook the sliced onion and bell pepper in some olive oil in a skillet pan until softened.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken breasts into small bite-sized pieces and sprinkle the spices over them.
- Move the softened veggies to one side of the pan and then add the chunks of chicken to the other side.
- Mix it all together and add some ranch dressing. Sounds odd, but trust me, you'll never make chicken fajitas any other way.
Now let's talk ranch dressing. You could use a store-bought bottle of your favorite ranch dressing but if you want an out-of-this-world-crazy-good-ranch-dressing then you should really make the best ranch dressing ever!
You literally mix together sour cream, mayo, buttermilk and some spices. That's it! It's so easy and I promise it tastes a billion (yes a billion!) times better than any store bought dressing. It's amazing in these fajitas.
Top these fajitas off with guacamole, sour cream, cilantro, or whatever you want!
TRY THESE OTHER SKILLET PAN CHICKEN RECIPES
Skillet Chicken Ranch Fajitas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow or orange pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite-sized chunks)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ranch dressing
- In a skillet pan heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced bell peppers and onions. Let cook, stirring every couple of minutes, for about 5-8 minutes until softened.
- While peppers/onion are cooking, combine the cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt in a bowl and sprinkle over the chunked chicken. Mix until all chicken is coated.
- Move peppers and onion to one half of the skillet. Add the chicken to the other half. Let cook for about 10-12 minutes, turning chicken, until chicken is cooked through. Stir the pepper mixture a few times so it does not burn.
- Combine the chicken, peppers, and onions together in the skillet. Add the ranch dressing. Stir to combine.
- Serve with choice of tortilla, cilantro, sour cream, and guacamole or avocado. You could also serve with additional ranch dressing to drizzle over the fajita.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST